Ten years today

Old Aug 28th 2016, 12:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ten years today

Originally Posted by viajero
I just didn't think it was common for someone to live 50-plus years somewhere and then suddenly decide to jump through flaming administrative hoops to live out one's senior years in a cold climate an ocean away....
Does 47 count? It's close.

To be fair, I had been working towards Spain but fate stepped in.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

I was 53+ when I retired to Vancouver in 1990. Then they had a retiree program for those over 55 so we were given a Minister's Permit to stay till I qualified by age. This had been arranged by Immigration lawyers.
Unfortunately, the Minister canceled the retiree program before my birthday so I was caught in a trap having bought a large house, shipped our furniture, our dog, bought 2 cars and a yacht, joined the Canadian Power Sqdn and the church, then to find we faced deportation.
Immigration in Vancouver washed their hands of me so I instructed the lawyers, who had initialized my immigration as a retiree, to sue the government. That got their attention so I went to London (I'm British) where they reviewed my case and issued a Landed Immigrant status with a work permit as a stock market broker...I've only been an RAF Officer or worked for an airline.
Three years later we became citizens...but now living in Bali.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 3:22 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viajero
I just didn't think it was common for someone to live 50-plus years somewhere and then suddenly decide to jump through flaming administrative hoops to live out one's senior years in a cold climate an ocean away. Especially considering you had your pick of 20+ countries in which you were eligible to live.

I would think the points system makes it difficult for mature individuals to get in?
I try not to be common.

We had more than minimum points to get in. Those other countries may be easy in theory to get in but how do you work if you don't speak the language? I wouldn't want to live in an expat ghetto.
It's 32C here again today btw.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 9:55 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to congratulate you too Bats on your decade! I do hope the next one will be interesting, settled and contented.

Is age a 'thing' now? I know hesitant 'sensible' people in their 20's who have not one whiff of adventure or dynamism to them and they will die, probably of boredom, not too far from where they started....which is great...for them!

I will always have ants in my pants, and having taken the 'quick' route to Canada (but endured 20 years of marriage to get here) didn't have to count points. However, I am planning on moving again in 3 years when son and heir finishes high school....and I really don't know where, depends on Brexit...

Age shall not wither us...but the snow bank might get to us first!
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:42 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I wanted to congratulate you too Bats on your decade! I do hope the next one will be interesting, settled and contented.

Is age a 'thing' now? I know hesitant 'sensible' people in their 20's who have not one whiff of adventure or dynamism to them and they will die, probably of boredom, not too far from where they started....which is great...for them!

I will always have ants in my pants, and having taken the 'quick' route to Canada (but endured 20 years of marriage to get here) didn't have to count points. However, I am planning on moving again in 3 years when son and heir finishes high school....and I really don't know where, depends on Brexit...

Thanks.

Yep, age is the new thing to get at. Nah it's not new at but now I'm old I see it more.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 2:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I try not to be common.
Heh! Congratulations on your decade.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 4:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Not me.

Originally Posted by bats
Thanks.

Yep, age is the new thing to get at. Nah it's not new at but now I'm old I see it more.
Congrats on the decade and on retirement bats. Best to batsman.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Is age a 'thing' now? I know hesitant 'sensible' people in their 20's who have not one whiff of adventure or dynamism to them and they will die, probably of boredom, not too far from where they started....which is great...for them!!
Yeah. I find it odd... A whole dynamic of people who have never had passports, never left within 50 sq. km. of the town we live in except to go to Toronto a few times, and they are content with it. Boggles the mind.

It only gets to me when those same people ask "Why do you spend so much money on travelling when you could buy x x x or save for x x x " ...
Old Aug 31st 2016, 7:41 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats bats!!

Well deserved retirement too - may you live your life in splendour!

Old Aug 31st 2016, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

goneforgood is an unknown quantity at this point

We're upping sticks and emigrating to Canada in our 60s. Never really thought that age would be a limiting factor, why should it be? But then 'upheaval' is my middle name. Never afraid to take on a challenge, so long as it's not foolhardy or financially ruinous. Decrepitude can be held at bay so long as you can keep moving. Yes the joints ache sometimes, and the eyesight isn't what it used to be, but we will be building our own house with our own hands on a piece of land we could never ever dream of owning in the UK.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 11:59 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Congrats bats!!

Well deserved retirement too - may you live your life in splendour!

Well thank you. It won't be splendour but it might be splendid.

Originally Posted by goneforgood
We're upping sticks and emigrating to Canada in our 60s. Never really thought that age would be a limiting factor, why should it be? But then 'upheaval' is my middle name. Never afraid to take on a challenge, so long as it's not foolhardy or financially ruinous. Decrepitude can be held at bay so long as you can keep moving. Yes the joints ache sometimes, and the eyesight isn't what it used to be, but we will be building our own house with our own hands on a piece of land we could never ever dream of owning in the UK.
Good for you, enjoy it. Where is the piece of land?
Old Sep 1st 2016, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Good on you GFG...
I'm now 79 and recently had to slow down due surgery but, since retiring and immigrating to Canada and sometimes Arizona and now Bali, I've never worked harder.
I've personally renovated two houses (5 bed and 2 bed), maintained four boats (35-50 ft range), moved house four times within two continents, boated up and down both N. American coasts and drunk lots of wine and beer....not all at the same time...

So I'm aware of the hardship and pain you will endure in your project but ‘idle hands are the devil’s workshop’ has some truth...so good luck in building your own house. I'm a little envious and expect Home Depot and Lowe managers must be rubbing their hands...
Old Sep 1st 2016, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

goneforgood is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Bats and Davita The land is near Creston, BC. We bought it two years ago on a visit (and no, we are by no means wealthy. Just resourceful. And not afraid of hard work). Davita...what a great 'retirement' ! You must have stories to tell and I envy the gentle breezes of Bali. Where are you based for your golden years Bats?
Old Sep 1st 2016, 7:01 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your first Canadian decade Bats!

How do find Canadian winter, you never seem to complain much about it ?
Old Sep 1st 2016, 1:20 pm
limey party pooper

Thanks Bats and Davita The land is near Creston, BC. We bought it two years ago on a visit (and no, we are by no means wealthy. Just resourceful. And not afraid of hard work). Davita...what a great 'retirement' ! You must have stories to tell and I envy the gentle breezes of Bali. Where are you based for your golden years Bats?
Golden years? Eek! I'm in Ontario.

Originally Posted by Shard
Congratulations on your first Canadian decade Bats!

How do find Canadian winter, you never seem to complain much about it ?
I don't mind it until February then I've pretty much had enough. As long as the roads are clear and not covered in ice or slush then it's all hunky dory. The snow looks beautiful, bright blue skies, crisp air.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.