Ten Years

Old Jul 19th 2016, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold
Default Ten Years

I landed ten years ago today. It has been everything that I hoped it would be, and a whole lot more.

I arrived and landed in NS, excited, with nothing except a suitcase, $1000 in my pocket, and a fake balance in my bank account. I had to start at the very bottom of my profession again, and after a lot of heartache and a lot of hard work, I managed to scramble my way into a job which was somewhat reasonable, and managed to support me in a very basic way, at least i could eat and pay the rent.

After 5 years of hitting brick wall after brick wall, my marriage collapsed, and I was laid off from this job that I had put all of my effort into, with no reward, I came within days of running back to teh UK with my tail between my legs, admitting defeat.

However, both of these things happening at the same-time, was the catalyst that I needed. I was headhunted and as I now had no ties, moved halfway across the country, away from the dead end that Nova Scotia was proving to be, into my dream job. I made friends immediately, which was a weird feeling having been shunned continually in Nova Scotia; I was able to buy a home and start to grow roots.

I am now remarried with kids on the way, enjoying life to its fullest. 5 years later, i cannot imagine not being here. I am happy, comfortable, and the future looks fantastic.

I went back to the UK last summer, for the 1st time since I landed, and hated it, absolutely hated it. I could not imagine ever living there again.

It was a real struggle to achieve, but I managed to get the happiness that I dreamt of when i first thought about the move, and will encourage anyone who wants to, to do it. With the caveat that it will require a very thick skin, and huge amounts of strength to endure the knocks and challenges that Canada throws your way.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ten Years

Great post! Thanks for sharing!
Old Jul 20th 2016, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your anniversary - glad to hear you pushed through the tough times and made it to the other side!
Congrats on the upcoming arrival of kids too! Another adventure beginning.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dormy
I landed ten years ago today. It has been everything that I hoped it would be, and a whole lot more...
Great post! Sounds like you had a hard time from landing but perseverance paid off. Glad to hear you got where you dreamed you'd be
Old Jul 26th 2016, 3:34 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome post, congrats on your anniversary and glad that you stuck with it!
Old Jul 27th 2016, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

gary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear , nearly the same as my story , good luck to you

Gary