Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Still Homesick after a year!

Still Homesick after a year!

Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

CRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still Homesick after a year!

Originally Posted by Shard
Wales population: 3 million

Canada population: 35 million

You do the math.
I was of course exaggerating for optimism purposes!
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllyS
As a footnote: since moving here 3.5yrs ago I have developed a full blown anxiety disorder so medication and counseling for the foreseeable future.

Guess I have to think myself lucky really as 100yrs ago there was none of the medical/mental health care we have now. No counseling etc., you just got on with things.
That's so sad to hear, AllyS.
Hope you get better soon. Do you think it was all related to Calgary/Canada?
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 3:54 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floatsy
That's so sad to hear, AllyS.
Hope you get better soon. Do you think it was all related to Calgary/Canada?
Probably related to BE.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Probably related to BE.
It happens
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 4:14 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It happens
Like the new avatar by the way!
Old Jan 24th 2014, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

Probably related to BE.
Ha ha, nah, I think it's cumulative unfortunately - years of coping with doo doo followed by workaholic central aka. work orgies (Calgary).
Old Jan 24th 2014, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Like the new avatar by the way!
Thanks, Shard, you're looking as sharp as always also

Avatar gives a rightful nod to the French speaking part of my country!
Old Jan 24th 2014, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AllyS
Ha ha, nah, I think it's cumulative unfortunately - years of coping with doo doo followed by workaholic central aka. work orgies (Calgary).
Get better, AllyS !
Old Jan 24th 2014, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

Get better, AllyS !
Thanks, I hope so too but I think its going to be a long haul.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:16 am
been there, done that

phr1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sparksman

...it's good to know I'm not the only crazy one that doesn't LoVE it here.
You are not alone.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 1:27 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CRAY
I really hope the best for everybody feeling homesick! it is a truly awful feeling.

It is quiet an interesting topic the subject of whether the grass is actually greener. And the way people can turn out blissfully happy and never look back or end up horribly miserable.

It does seem the case that the older and more settled you are the more difficult it is to move successfully. Of course personality has a huge influence too.

It might help to imagine all the positives of your new life instead of focusing on what you miss.

The UK is getting terribly overpopulated, polluted, and competition and price of schooling mean the quality of those are falling and becoming less accessible. The public services and healthcare is also at breaking point. Crime at least by my opinion is getting much worse too.

British humour is unbeatable but I thought Canadians were a close second in world comedy

Dan Ackroyd, Jim Carrey, John Candy, Michael Cera, Michael J fox are some awesome Canadian funnymen/actors that come to mind.

In Canada you live in the 2nd largest country in the world with something like the population of Wales! The countryside and space is almost unparalleled. A country that spans 6 time zones (I think?). Most people I think will admit it is for the most part a very beautiful country too.

The people and country are stereotypically very friendly and relatively peaceful shall I say. A stereotype which from my experience has been true, at least compared to other places. Crime is low relative to the size of the country.

Winters in my opinion are brutal, but at least they're exciting. Not like the constant grey cold depressing drizzle in the UK for 6 months of the year. You can do awesome things like skating, skiing, hockey etc in your own back yard! And then much of Southern Canada gets great summers, sometimes 35 C with a lot of sunshine days depending on where you are.

Canada is world wide renowned to have lovely autumns.

My point was there's pro's and cons to both places. And I know it's all too easy to look at only the cons of where you are now and the pro's of where you want to be when you are feeling homesick.
Let’s pull this apart gently

The UK isn’t over populated, in fact if you look at population density in related regions in Canadian cites in many cases they have a much higher density, and the vast open areas just aren’t populated at all or even visited so don’t really factor in, a quick look at the easter traffic jams will show you Toronto is a bigger mess than London…

Public health care may be at breaking point in the UK but sadly it still further up the table than most if not all of Canada, which is serious shame, but can be put mainly at the way is run and funded…

Again this comparison to populations and land mass without factoring in 25% of Canada lives around Toronto Golden horse shoe, and the rest strung out along the US border

To be honest vast parts of Canada are not so much beautiful, but very much the same.. not un pretty just too much of the same thing that it quickly becomes boring… in fact in my opinion some of the most beautiful parts of Canada are almost devoid of people or even visitors (Yukon,NWT)

Last I looked Crime for Canada was on par for most western nations, but only seems low if you compare it with just the US

Yes winters are brutal, and the commute isn't what I’d call exiting, sometimes terrifying, ask my Canadian farther in law, last night every adjective used to describe snow was a swear word.. and at least in the Uk the weather is such that you can do outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, climbing all year round, plus for many outdoor type that like active pursuits not sitting around a pool anything above 25c is getting a bit hot, for One I found the limited period between winter and summer for fun activities quite limiting, and that the skiing was sub par to the European sites and f**king freezing on a bad day

Both places have pro and con’s

The weather in Canada may or may not suit you, but unless you live in Vancouver you’ll feel this on you fuel bill, I currently pays less in a badly insulated UK rental with Uk fuel prices £120 , than I did in a very well insulated Canadian house with cheaper fuel $340.. this goes for another items too property taxes are similar $3700 to £1200, car and house insurance £120 to $420 as we all know Canadian house are much cheaper to buy, but generally cost more to maintain

In my opinion, there is bugger all between the two if you have a good job, you have to weight up the very small differences and factor in what really really suits you best and what negatives will grow and grow until you hate them…..

In my world there were no positives big enough in Canada to offset the winter commute!!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Let’s pull this apart gently

The UK isn’t over populated, in fact if you look at population density in related regions in Canadian cites in many cases they have a much higher density, and the vast open areas just aren’t populated at all or even visited so don’t really factor in, a quick look at the easter traffic jams will show you Toronto is a bigger mess than London…

Public health care may be at breaking point in the UK but sadly it still further up the table than most if not all of Canada, which is serious shame, but can be put mainly at the way is run and funded…

Again this comparison to populations and land mass without factoring in 25% of Canada lives around Toronto Golden horse shoe, and the rest strung out along the US border

To be honest vast parts of Canada are not so much beautiful, but very much the same.. not un pretty just too much of the same thing that it quickly becomes boring… in fact in my opinion some of the most beautiful parts of Canada are almost devoid of people or even visitors (Yukon,NWT)

Last I looked Crime for Canada was on par for most western nations, but only seems low if you compare it with just the US

Yes winters are brutal, and the commute isn't what I’d call exiting, sometimes terrifying, ask my Canadian farther in law, last night every adjective used to describe snow was a swear word.. and at least in the Uk the weather is such that you can do outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, climbing all year round, plus for many outdoor type that like active pursuits not sitting around a pool anything above 25c is getting a bit hot, for One I found the limited period between winter and summer for fun activities quite limiting, and that the skiing was sub par to the European sites and f**king freezing on a bad day

Both places have pro and con’s

The weather in Canada may or may not suit you, but unless you live in Vancouver you’ll feel this on you fuel bill, I currently pays less in a badly insulated UK rental with Uk fuel prices £120 , than I did in a very well insulated Canadian house with cheaper fuel $340.. this goes for another items too property taxes are similar $3700 to £1200, car and house insurance £120 to $420 as we all know Canadian house are much cheaper to buy, but generally cost more to maintain

In my opinion, there is bugger all between the two if you have a good job, you have to weight up the very small differences and factor in what really really suits you best and what negatives will grow and grow until you hate them…..

In my world there were no positives big enough in Canada to offset the winter commute!!
London is over populated
Old Apr 17th 2014, 2:28 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyhammers
London is over populated
Then the same can be said for Toronto, New York city, Paris, Milan, Tokyo, need I go on.....
Old Nov 9th 2014, 12:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyhammers
London is over populated
To circle back on Mike's observations on Canada, and the large areas that are sparsely populated, it isn't like the UK doesn't have its own relatively large sparsely populated areas, notably Scotland, much of northern England, and large chunks of Wales, Devon, and Cornwall, not to mention a good bit of East Anglia. ..... In fact half the population of the UK lives within 100 miles of Charing Cross, and of course a good bit of the area of that circle is in the North Sea.
Originally Posted by MikeUK
Then the same can be said for Toronto, New York city, Paris, Milan, Tokyo, need I go on.....
That other cities have the same problem doesn't mean it isn't true.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
To circle back on Mike's observations on Canada, and the large areas that are sparsely populated, it isn't like the UK doesn't have its own relatively large sparsely populated areas, notably Scotland, much of northern England, and large chunks of Wales, Devon, and Cornwall, not to mention a good bit of East Anglia. ..... In fact half the population of the UK lives within 100 miles of Charing Cross, and of course a good bit of the area of that circle is in the North Sea.

That other cities have the same problem doesn't mean it isn't true.
Check out the population densities...

London UK is something like 3000/km whereas Toronto is only 800/km... Thereabouts anyway. Puts things in to perspective!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.