Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Still Homesick after a year!

Still Homesick after a year!

Old Dec 29th 2013, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Golden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to all
Default Re: Still Homesick after a year!

Originally Posted by deltadeliquent
My husband and I didn't come here for economic reasons. Nor for family or friends. We came because my husband wanted to build stuff and enjoy the eagles and to walk on the beach.

I left England because he wanted to. I liked my life and had no particular reason to start again somewhere else. So much for the sacrifices of marriage.
Now that I am here, I can't believe that playing with chain saws ans other power tools, I can't believe seeing an eagle fly around is worth the well being and happiness of your wife.
There is so much about our move I did not really consider.

I miss most the feeling of history that steeps every inch of Britain. I miss old churches with the history of the community oozing from every crack and crevice.
I miss the dawn chorus of the birds, and the rolling green fields outlined by hedgerows and the occasional oak.
I miss humour, something they do not indulge in in Canada. Or maybe they don't understand the concept....
I miss intellectual musings and opinions on current events. BC has no current events....
I miss style, I miss the variety of potatoes you can get at home. Here there is only the dry and crumbly Russets. I miss proper dairy, and cream.
I miss everything.
I really feel for you.....

Every single thing you said resonates with my husband and I.. It took us a long time to admit our feelings and only now after 24 years here are we slowly solidifying our plans to move back.

As someone once said, a pot of Yogurt has more living culture than Canada.

Don't stagnate... This isn't a dress rehearsal and there is no rewind button, don't wait like we did, we're finding it hard to remember the positives as we are so focused on what we have missed in England..

At the very least you need to move from Cortes Island to perhaps Victoria, there at least there would be things to do, and plenty of wildlife, birds and beaches close by for hubby..
Reading your post though, A move back to England imo would be the more prudent choice..

I sincerely hope 2014 sees you following your heart.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

missmemum is an unknown quantity at this point

We have lived in Canada for the past 25 years and for the most part it has been a good move, during which time we have created some wonderful memories. Home sickness for us came and went as the years rolled by, most of the time it passed as we were so busy with work and family. On our many trips back to the UK and Europe which we always enjoyed, we always came back wondering what life would have been like if we had stayed.
Living in Canada we have always felt that the culture was lacking something, although the people here have always been very friendly, yet never really getting to know them. For us as we are now older and empty nesters, we find the winters really long and wandering around shopping malls has become very tedious.
One major factor for us in considering a move back across the pond to either the UK or Spain, is the ability to travel such short distances to see other countries and cultures, something we're unable to do here without major expense or time.
All in all we don't regret our move here and would never try to stop anyone coming, but for us the home sickness has become very real and this time won't go away.
As someone posted before 'you can only get so much enjoyment from a beautiful view'. For us, that sums up our feelings for Canada perfectly.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 4:44 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missmemum
All in all we don't regret our move here and would never try to stop anyone coming, but for us the home sickness has become very real and this time won't go away.
As someone posted before 'you can only get so much enjoyment from a beautiful view'. For us, that sums up our feelings for Canada perfectly.
Welcome to BE! What an interesting first post. Nobody can accuse you of not giving Canada a good try! Do you still have family in Canada, when you move back to Europe will you still return to Canada for visits?
Old Jan 4th 2014, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Golden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to all

We have lived in Canada for the past 25 years and for the most part it has been a good move, during which time we have created some wonderful memories. Home sickness for us came and went as the years rolled by, most of the time it passed as we were so busy with work and family. On our many trips back to the UK and Europe which we always enjoyed, we always came back wondering what life would have been like if we had stayed.
Living in Canada we have always felt that the culture was lacking something, although the people here have always been very friendly, yet never really getting to know them. For us as we are now older and empty nesters, we find the winters really long and wandering around shopping malls has become very tedious.
One major factor for us in considering a move back across the pond to either the UK or Spain, is the ability to travel such short distances to see other countries and cultures, something we're unable to do here without major expense or time.
WOW ~ That sounds EXACTLY like the sort of post I would write.. I had to do a double take and check the name !! LOL

The only thing I would add is.. Re: 'You can only get so much enjoyment from a beautiful view'

You get beautiful views in England and Spain which are more accessible where you won't have to worry about Cougars, Bears & frostbite !!
Old Jan 4th 2014, 8:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

+1. I don't think you're homesick though, but rather that you, like us, are sick of your present home.

Like you we've been in Canada for 25 of the last 33 years (the 8 in the middle in Germany). For us it's France next because of family ties and language issues but Spain might work better for you.

Good luck.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

missmemum is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes MillieF, we would be leaving family here in Canada, but we have their full support with us considering a return to Europe. They have all visited Europe on many occasions, trips which they have always enjoyed. All hold UK passports so the door is open for them too if the ever decide they wish to move back. As for returning to Canada for visits, they have already said they would rather visit us in either the UK or Spain, which is OK with us.
As I have previously stated, we have enjoyed our time here but now feel its the right time to move on. We feel that if we were to leave it much longer we will be too old and the decision might be made for us in regards to what our health might be like.
I have to agree with Golden-eye saying that all the positives and good memories we created during our 25 years here, are being eroded due to not wanting to be here any longer. It's a shame for our Canadian experiences to end that way, but unfortunately very true.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:10 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
+1. I don't think you're homesick though, but rather that you, like us, are sick of your present home.

Like you we've been in Canada for 25 of the last 33 years (the 8 in the middle in Germany). For us it's France next because of family ties and language issues but Spain might work better for you.

Good luck.
+ 2...Novo (who always says what he means, and means what he says;!) sounds like he's got it in one.

I have sort of treated life as a big journey, like an ancient crusade,...I've carried on moving to one place after another, normally staying five to ten years...France we stayed longer in but that was because our son was born. I'm getting to like Canada much more, as my life is starting to come together, but I'm now looking to leave in approximately ten years...at the moment it's a toss up between Naniamo and Victoria and Malta as the next port of call!

Missmemum, very best of luck with your plans...now you have found us here at BE do pop back and keep us informed

Last edited by MillieF; Jan 6th 2014 at 10:11 am. Reason: Can't spell
Old Jan 6th 2014, 5:14 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deltadeliquent
I miss most the feeling of history that steeps every inch of Britain. I miss old churches with the history of the community oozing from every crack and crevice.
I miss the dawn chorus of the birds, and the rolling green fields outlined by hedgerows and the occasional oak.
I miss humour, something they do not indulge in in Canada. Or maybe they don't understand the concept....
I miss intellectual musings and opinions on current events. BC has no current events....
I miss style, I miss the variety of potatoes you can get at home. Here there is only the dry and crumbly Russets. I miss proper dairy, and cream.
I miss everything.
This sounds like culture shock more than anything else, there are plenty of funny Canadians about. Plenty of birds and various current events and so on.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 5:20 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway the way to deal with homesickness is to concentrate on the positives rather than the negatives. There's nowhere in the world that is perfect.

I do think moving to rural BC in your 50s though is going to be a bit of a tough one mentally, especially if you've never lived abroad before.

My view is that people seem to become pretty much stuck in their ways in the first five years after they leave home and so if you leave home at 20 by 25 you're going to find everywhere else quite alien. If you lived abroad growing up though it's much easier.

The older you get the harder it is to adapt.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Vicky0304 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

my husband in Canadian and i made the decision to move here last September as his job in the oil field was (and still is) going well. I moved here on the basis that it would be for 2-3 years and he agreed.

its 3 months in, i have just got back from spending xmas in the uk and i feel so terribly homesick and i feel sorry for my husband who has to deal with me .

i am hoping this will pass......to add to this i am still waiting for my work visa so i am missing working and interacting with others, although i am volunteering lots to keep me busy.

i just wanted to ask if anyone ever meets up for a cup of tea (or coffee) or a night out...i am missing my friends at home, and it can be hard to make friends, especially when you get older!!

anyway if anyone has any words of wisdom or knows of people who meet up now and again, or would like to then let me know!!! The Collicut Centre is my second home at the moment

Vicky
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Vicky, and sorry to hear you're feeling homesick.

Originally Posted by Vicky0304
i am hoping this will pass......to add to this i am still waiting for my work visa so i am missing working and interacting with others, although i am volunteering lots to keep me busy.
Just checking, but you know that if you're eligible for a SOWP you could go and get one tomorrow at the border? I'm assuming you've applied for it by post, but no need to wait if you don't want to.

Best of luck with it all.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Vicky0304 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, no i didn't know that, we have applied for my PR visa which takes up to 10 months! i shall have a look into it though! thanks
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicky0304
Hi, no i didn't know that, we have applied for my PR visa which takes up to 10 months! i shall have a look into it though! thanks
Ah, I see, sorry I thought you'd applied for a work permit. If your husband's job is classed as Skilled (A, O or B on the NOC Matrix), then you can get an open work permit, which would be for the same duration as his TWP and is (as the name suggests) open so you can do any job.

10 months would be pretty quick for a PR application, which route have you applied under?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, I see, sorry I thought you'd applied for a work permit. If your husband's job is classed as Skilled (A, O or B on the NOC Matrix), then you can get an open work permit, which would be for the same duration as his TWP and is (as the name suggests) open so you can do any job.

10 months would be pretty quick for a PR application, which route have you applied under?
As a Canadian, would he need a TWP?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 8:22 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Golden-eye
We moved to Canada 24 years ago, the first 6 months were what I would describe as 'The Honeymoon period' Everything was wonderful, we just saw the positives.. The end of this coincided with Christmas Eve ` My sister had been for a visit and had returned home to spend Christmas Day with the rest of the family.. The phone call where my parents, Brothers and sister were all together 'hit home' and we had a quiet Christmas feeling 'homesick'
For me, Christmas is the only time that it's ever a "compromise" being here really. Not so much for me actually, but I know my mother misses one of her sons being away at that time of year.

Other than that I've never really felt much homesickness. Was in Canada for 12 months, back to the UK for 9 and then back to Canada for good (18 months and counting). I don't get the feeling I'll be experiencing anything bad soon.

When I had to go home to the UK for a funeral I didn't find myself longing to stay despite having a good time (given the circumstances) with friends and family. I think it was harder for me to attend the funeral (grandmother) than for my brother and cousins as they'd all been able to spend time with her and say their goodbyes. While she was sick it was fairly sudden so in the end I never had a chance to even chat to her on the phone at the end. The 3am "bad news, better get a plane ticket" call is never fun.

UK is always "home" but after the trip it was nice to get back to Canada to my "home" these days. Where my wife is. My stuff. My sofa. My job etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.