Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Six Months in Nova Scotia

Six Months in Nova Scotia

Old May 27th 2013, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

charlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Six Months in Nova Scotia

Well six months in Nova Scotia already, I can't believe how time has flown. I have posted a few times on here already since moving to NS with a few updates, but for those who haven't read my previous posts, here is a quick précis.

My name is Steve and together with my wife Sara and 3 yr old son Ethan we moved to Nova Scotia last November 2013. We first put our PR papers in, in 2008 I think, such a long time ago! We were going to come over whether I had secured employment or not, but fortunately about 4 months before we were going to come over I managed to secure a position as a Project Manager at a firm just south of Halifax. We ended up only having about five weeks to get everything sorted from getting the job to actually flying over, so it was a bit of a scramble. We had just about everything planned already, so it was just a matter of adjusting timelines and speeding things up.

Again as we had planned ahead, the move over wasn't too bad, although landing on the Friday and starting work on the Monday wasn't a good idea as their are so many things to do when you get here, that it really is a good idea to give yourself a few weeks before starting work; buy a car, get it registered, get your driver's license, car insurance, various other house insurances and bills and banking that often needs you to go and physically do it!

We first secured ourselves a winter let down in Hubbard's, on the South Shore, which was a thirty minute drive from my work. The choice of Hubbard's was more luck than judgement, but it has turned out to be an excellent choice as we quickly found it was a lovely little community, with lots of friendly people. So we very quickly decided that Hubbard's was the place for us on a more longer term basis and within four months bought a house here. Our realtor was very good (pm me if you want here name) and quickly 'got' the type of place we wanted and found it for us, even though it was a private sale place, so not on her list really. The mortgage application process was, due our being new immigrants, a bit of a pain and for want of a better word I felt a bit 'shafted' in the fact that I had to pay a few grand for some stupid insurance to the Canadian Mortgage Home Insurance or something! To me it was a right swizz, as in the UK I had a perfectly good mortgage record, I had an excellent job in Canada, but that's the way it is. So my advice there is don't be in a major hurry to by a house, let your credit rating steady a bit here first. So we are now settled in Hubbard's, it has a great community and now the winter is over there are more and more events on. It has a great farmers market on Saturday mornings, which ends up being an excellent for meeting people and making new contacts. All of a sudden there are new restaurants and places that open for the season. By chance I have taken up 'Ultimate Frisbee' which is a good run around and again great for meeting people. I was concerned about my wife being lonely here, but she already has met lots of people and made a good few friends. She quickly managed to secure a part time job as an accounts clerk so that was a bonus. My boy is now in pre-school three days a week and is already starting to talk with a dodgy accent. I did start correcting his words, but quickly thought he is going to grow up with a Canadian accent so no point fighting it!
So we have been lucky in our choice of location, now moving onto my job. I have been extremely lucky to secure the position I have. There have been so many posts on here where people here have had so much angst over getting a decent job and obviously for many it has ruined there move. Like I said I got the job before I came over. I applied for it online, it was advertised on Careerbeacon, which I found an excellent job board. I followed up my application with a phone call, asking if they had received it, but really to show I was keen and genuine. I first had a Skype interview and was then quickly asked to fly over and go for a second interview. Fortunately I feel I am quite good at interviews and felt I put myself over well and within a few days of me returning home I was offered the job at what I thought was a great salary. Luckily project management credentials really are international so that was a bonus. The job has turned out to be a blinder, I really have landed on my feet and love my job and the company is great. I have a thirty minute drive to work, around St. Margaret's Bay, beautiful scenery with the sea one side most of the way, no traffic lights and very little traffic. Even in the winter it wasn't that bad.

So on to day to day stuff. Like I said I thought I had a great salary, which it is, but as people have probably gathered from other posts on here, the cost of living here is relatively expensive. Grocery shopping is expensive, why is chicken so expensive?! Petrol is cheap, but I would guess most people have a bigger engine car, so the cheap petrol (can't bring myself to say gas yet!) is negated. All your insurances are expensive and then you have medical insurance (mine and family's is half paid by company). Salary tax is high also. Alcohol is expensive as it is all controlled by the state, good job I did all my boozing in my younger Navy days! I never thought I would say I miss M&S, but buying my office clothes is expensive and the choice is not that good. TV is unbelievably poor; we have Eastlink cable and I think it is expensive. The only person that watches it is my boy, who watches the kids channels! We subscribe to Netflix and there is lots of stuff on there, but we also use Unblockus, so we can watch BBC iplayer and usually watch a drama or two a few times a week and we love The Apprentice! It is not like we are watching tv all the time, we only watch probably for an hour a day.

Now I have said everyone is very friendly and we have very much found that. But we haven't actually made any good Canadian friends. It is funny that all the way out in Hubbard's we have made friends with a really nice couple and they are from The Wirral! At work I feel I get on really well with the majority of people, but the two people that have invited around to theirs for something have been a Syrian and an Indian! So I feel it is a fair reflection that what I have read on other posts on the forum that so far I have found that the Canadians I have met are very friendly but don't want to make friends with us foreigners.

Now onto some good stuff; the scenery here is flippin' stunning. St Margaret's Bay is lovely, there are so many beautiful lakes as to defy counting. We have just bought a canoe and I cannot wait for it to warm up a touch more and get out on the lakes and hopefully camp out etc. We have driven down as far as Shelburne the coast all the way down was lovely with lots of beaches and more lakes! The weather I have found, even though it was cold over the winter, has been much better than I have been used to. What I mean by that is there are so many more 'blue sky' days. So if you are an outdoor enthusiast and I and my family are, then Nova Scotia is for you.

I haven't really been able to experience it yet, but I understand Halifax itself is a great night out, with lots of restaurants and pubs.
So as usual my short post has turned into a marathon read, apologies for that! In short myself and my family have had very much a positive experience so far. It helps that I have a good job, we have found a lovely place to live and Nova Scotia is a beautiful place. The cost of living is expensive, but not prohibitively so, you just have to adapt to it. Everyone has been very friendly and helpful, but our best friends so far are British (maybe it is a sense of humour thing?!). Oh and if really anyone thinks Tim Horton's is a great coffee place, then they are off their head! No one should ever pretend that moving to a different country is an easy thing to do and if you think it is then you are off your rocker. We have fortunately had a fairly easy transition (but a lot of that I feel was from good planning), but we have still had some down days. My family and very much like it here and I suppose the best thing I can say is that things feel normal now. If anyone has any questions for me on moving here, feel free to pm me. Sorry this was a bit long, but there is so much to say, not sure if it was of any use though!
Old May 27th 2013, 10:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six Months in Nova Scotia

Great post! Glad to hear you have settled in and found your feet, it sounds like you really like the area you are living in.

Just as an aside, the CMHC insurance isn't just for newcomers or those without much credit history, it's based on how much you put down.. if you can afford to put more than 20% down there is no insurance to pay.

As to friends, well the way I look at it is this - it took you many years to build up good strong friendships back in the UK (or where-ever) and it takes a while to build up relationships here. It's like breaking into a new circle when you start at a new school, takes a while and then suddenly you are included and your circle extends.

Hope you continue to enjoy your Canadian adventure and thank you for writing such an informative post.

Old May 28th 2013, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I am right down in Yarmouth. I would agree that Canadians aren't falling over themselves to make friends but then why would they? They already have all the friends they need.

We have been here nearly two years now and have a mix of friends, Canadians and "foreigners" but it took longer to make friends with the Canadians.

Saying that all our Canadian friends are "come from aways" just not from so far away as us: Quebec, Newfoundland, Manitoba and Ontario!
Old May 28th 2013, 12:44 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I am right there with Siouxie, Great Post, a most enjoyable read, and I am so glad that things are working out well for you and your family.

Friends....I was 15 years where I last lived, and only made my wonderful friend after 10 of those. I have lots of warm acquaintances, and I think that suits me fine.

Yes...the price of chicken is ridiculous, no...Never say Gas...a truly ghastly word!

Continue to go from strength to strength
Old May 28th 2013, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Great post with lots of useful details - we too were lucky with where we found a house (just up the road from you) and cannot imagine living anywhere else now. Only thing I can't agree with is about Canadian friends - we have never found that a problem, but I suppose much of it is luck.
Old May 28th 2013, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

charlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to the CMHC insurance, I did actually have more than 20% to put down but they wouldn't let me, that's why I feel so seen off! I know
I can't expect to make lots of friends straight off the bat, I know things will come, like I said we like it here so will have lots of chances
Old May 28th 2013, 2:32 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlsar
With regards to the CMHC insurance, I did actually have more than 20% to put down but they wouldn't let me, that's why I feel so seen off! I know
I can't expect to make lots of friends straight off the bat, I know things will come, like I said we like it here so will have lots of chances
That's really strange, were you told about newcomer mortgages? You should have been offered the chance to show prior credit worthiness (from the UK or elsewhere) - you can see more here: http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/hoficl...C-Newcomer.pdf

Whilst I was not a newcomer, I had no Canadian credit rating when I purchased my house but was able to prove that I had alternative sources of proof of credit worthiness. You should have been given the opportunity to either show an International credit rating report or alternative sources:

Examples of alternative sources of credit: confirmation of payment of rent or room and board, plus one additional obligation or documented regular savings, for the preceding 12 months. If confirmation of rent payments is not available, payment over the preceding 12 month period of any three regular periodic obligations including but not limited to: utilities, cable, childcare expenses, insurance premiums, documented regular savings.

Friendships will happen and I am so glad to hear that you like it here!

Old May 28th 2013, 10:04 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

A great post and good to hear you are enjoying it and are settling in
Old May 29th 2013, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlsar
How could they deny you putting down more if you wanted to; the choice is yours?
Old May 29th 2013, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

I went through all of this at the time and the mortgage broker gave a load of flannel, but nobody else was offering us a mortgage so we just went for it, he reckoned the lenders would just pull the plug if I kept going on about it. It was annoying but I have just put it behind me now and am concentrating on all the good stuff! We love our house anyway, it just means I have paid a couple of grand more than I wanted to for it!
Old May 29th 2013, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Loved your post Thanks for it and all best wishes to you and yours
Old May 31st 2013, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Zhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to behold

Great post! Read it aloud to the rest of the family for tips and inspiration Thank you and best of luck to you and your family!
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Newbie36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for posting lots of details ... It really helps to paint a picture of everyday life in NS
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

sandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to all

Thanks for posting this. Lots of positive remarks which is unusual for NS. We have been in NS since 1974 having first lived in Quebec for six years.
NS is a scenically stunning province and, yes, the traffic is never a problem. Unless you are caught in one of the infrequent jams that do occur.
Our home is Fall River and being retired we do get to choose where and when we shop.
Since arriving we have made many Canadian friends. It does take a little effort but can very rewarding.
If you do like to drink alcohol it doesn't have to be expensive, make your own. There are many wine and beer kit retailers in the province perfectly willing to sell you a kit for either or both and, there is no tax on the finished product. The government has given up on trying to tax home brewers after the last public relations disaster.There is also the satisfaction of making the stuff and the pleasure drinking and sharing.
We are really happy you have found your feet. Just bide a while and you will make new Canadian friends. It just take a little longer here.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

Excellent post - glad to hear you are settling in well

3 months short of 6 years for us in NS & we love it - good to read a positive post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.