Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Six months and gave up - BIG mistake

Six months and gave up - BIG mistake

Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six months and gave up - BIG mistake

Originally Posted by tattoo99
Closed down boards ....Nail and Head springs to mind
Oh and not forgetting the endless selection of Kebab shops !!
Depends where you are surely? No closed down boards in my part of the UK, not sure we've got a kebab shop anywhere near either!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Depends where you are surely? No closed down boards in my part of the UK, not sure we've got a kebab shop anywhere near either!
Dont worry the Cotswolds or your part of the UK isnt immune
I did a google street view of my old town I hardly recognize it now TBF it is 25 years since I left the UK and have not been back.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

this is exactly why i mentioned its where you come from.. ie if you come from a dumpy place like the poster obviously does, then , yes its got to be better here ( or anywhere by the sounds of it.lol )
there are no closed boards where we come from or kabab shops..

I feel some posters who talk about the UK badly.. must come from some pretty poor areas
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by orly
I think the difference at the moment is that in Canada the mall will be full of shops and people.

In the UK it'll be full of phone shops and "Closed Down" boards.
may be the case where you hail from... not where we live... its quite prosperous actually..
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:24 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clay
may be the case where you hail from... not where we live... its quite prosperous actually..
You talk about things in the present tense "not where we live" yet you don't live in the UK, you lived in the UK. You're in Canada right? Unless I've misunderstood?

I left the UK for just one year and when I came back to my home town I was shocked at the amount of boarded up shops and cafes. My parents live in a small picturesque town and guess what popped up whilst I was gone? A kebab shop!!!

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Jan 4th 2013 at 8:27 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
You talk about things in the present tense "not where we live" yet you don't live in the UK, you lived in the UK. You're in Canada right? Unless I've misunderstood?

I left the UK for just one year and when I came back to my home town I was shocked at the amount of boarded up shops and cafes. My parents live in a small picturesque town and guess what popped up whilst I was gone? A kebab shop!!!
sorry for misleading you with past tense or whatever, yes we live in Canada, however people saying the UK is boarded up and full of kebab shops is also misleading, we got a kebab shop and a boarded up shop close to us in canada, and we live in Bedford, not some ghetto.... this is not an unpleasant place, it just annoys me some peoples comments whenever someone doesn't talk " how RRRsssomm " it is here... maybe these people for whatever reason are trying to convince themselves for whatever reason ?? i suspect they may not be in a position to return to the UK ?? or they may love it here.. but please don't talk rubbish..ie.. boarded up shops..
Old Jan 4th 2013, 10:40 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

or they may love it here.. but please don't talk rubbish..ie.. boarded up shops..
It's not rubbish unfortunately, it's a reality. I am here living in the UK, you are not.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
It's not rubbish unfortunately, it's a reality. I am here living in the UK, you are not.
yeh ok... heres an idea... save hard and move to a decent area ?? where do you live ??
Old Jan 5th 2013, 7:39 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

yeh ok... heres an idea... save hard and move to a decent area ?? where do you live ??
Im not sure if you meant it to sound rude, but your comment to Pom_Chch comes across as quite rude and blunt. I understand everyone has their own view, but I see no reason to be rude to someone and try to insinuate you are better than them.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Im not sure if you meant it to sound rude, but your comment to Pom_Chch comes across as quite rude and blunt. I understand everyone has their own view, but I see no reason to be rude to someone and try to insinuate you are better than them.
Its not rude mate.. its good advice... whats wrong with being blunt ?? by the sounds of it, she or he, live in a rough area.. only way out is to take that advice isn't it ?? I'm not trying to insinuate anything.. Its a fact, our area in the UK is nothing like the place she lives.. thats a fact, sorry if it offends ...
Old Jan 5th 2013, 9:35 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

its not that easy to save hard and move to a nice area in the UK..
Usually a nice area comes hand in hand with a massive increase in property price, way more than most people can hope to achieve.

We lived in a nice place (not the quinessential English village - couldnt afford it) and in 7 years saw it change almost beyond recognition
Old Jan 5th 2013, 9:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Its not rude mate.. its good advice...
Not sure I'd call it rude as such, but it's certainly patronising as hell and a mightly good impression of the Harry Enfield 'I am considerably richer than you' character.

Please stop assuming everybody is 'poorer' than you (I can guarantee lots on the site are in fact, considerably richer than you), and that they came from crap parts of the UK and that's the only reason they want to stay in Canada.

Thx.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:08 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I'd call it rude as such, but it's certainly patronising as hell and a mightly good impression of the Harry Enfield 'I am considerably richer than you' character.

Please stop assuming everybody is 'poorer' than you (I can guarantee lots on the site are in fact, considerably richer than you), and that they came from crap parts of the UK and that's the only reason they want to stay in Canada.

Thx.
+1
Old Jan 5th 2013, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thx.
ok.. you lot keep your rose tinted glasses on.. sorry for even thinking about telling some home truths... you obviously have access to my bank accounts... I'm having second thoughts about returning now , they may have put a kebab shop in our cul de sac and probably all my neighbours houses are boarded up... good job the last person who rented our house whilst we lived in Aberdeen signed for chelsea... he would have been very disappointed... next time you make a remark, please only comment on things you have a clue about..lmao... read your post again... if they are considerably richer than me ( good on em by the way ) of course they could return to the UK, because if they are considerably richer than me... they won't have to live in a " crap " area as you put it... I don't concern myself who got what, its just some people cannot take any criticism of canada.... and only want to hear the good stuff... do you work for an immigration consultant ?? is it bad for business ?? people should get a balanced view before making their decision... obviously some people depending on their line of income don't like to see this posted ...
Old Jan 5th 2013, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't people exchange thoughts without squabbling ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.