Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Six months and gave up - BIG mistake

Six months and gave up - BIG mistake

Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all
Default Re: Six months and gave up - BIG mistake

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Hey, you have to follow your heart...maybe your head a little bit too. Life is way too short to be miserable somewhere if there is a chance you can be happy somewhere else...
Good luck with your plans.
I'm actually hoping this is my last country. Want to put down some proper roots although who knows what the future holds...
hope it works for you mate.. for us , we could not see NS as being our permanent home.. we have a 4yr old , and looking at the long term, we think Europe is a better place... thats our choice... we did a pro and cons list, and for us personally.. the cons were massive..lol
Old Dec 30th 2012, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clay
hope it works for you mate.. for us , we could not see NS as being our permanent home.. we have a 4yr old , and looking at the long term, we think Europe is a better place... thats our choice... we did a pro and cons list, and for us personally.. the cons were massive..lol
I hear ya!!

We already have a lot invested in this Province.

We have two sons who have moved out, one with a Canadian girlfriend... Now if we wanted to go back it would be without them which to me is unimaginable...

We also have two properties rented out and live in a 3rd so we're really "tied" to this country. Will it always be NS? Who knows, but we're not going anywhere until our 3rd son has finished high school and that's another 4 1/2 years.

Good luck to you...probably speak to you on FB or here again before you go...
Old Dec 31st 2012, 4:00 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

not all, but I think a fair few of the people are a bit false... plasticky... malls, burger kings, tim hortons... some may like this... have loads of examples, but don't need to post them on this thread...
If you're going back to the UK what are you expecting to see there? It's not like there's no false plasticky malls or burger kings! Huge malls and burger kings are the same wherever they are in the world and no different to that of the UK where there are also plenty of them..
Old Dec 31st 2012, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
If you're going back to the UK what are you expecting to see there? It's not like there's no false plasticky malls or burger kings! Huge malls and burger kings are the same wherever they are in the world and no different to that of the UK where there are also plenty of them..
Well, I could go on forever mate, peak district, massive choice of shops, restaurants, but mainly my $1,000,000 home..lol.. yes we have burger kings etc... but we also have a vast amount of privately owned shops, coffee shops... and don't even go there with saying NS is on a par..lol... if your happy here, thats great, I am happy for you... we did like Gottengen st ( is that how its spelt.lol ) its different to Timmies and Sobeys and bayers Lake, but its not very big.. great place though... nice little shops and somewere to get a coffee..
Old Dec 31st 2012, 9:39 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Hey we came from the Peak District .......lived there all my life you are probably the guy who keeps scaffolding Chatsworth House and spoiling the view !!
Old Dec 31st 2012, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jimmydean
Hey we came from the Peak District .......lived there all my life you are probably the guy who keeps scaffolding Chatsworth House and spoiling the view !!
We live about 20 mins from bakewell...... not me at Chatsworth mate..lol.. at least they put a tarp round it with a picture of the house on it...lol... love Chatsworth.. I reckon that area is one of the most beautiful places going...
Old Dec 31st 2012, 10:36 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

It is a small world I was born near Tideswell, we lived between Baslow and Chesterfield. A while back I used to work at Bakewell and had to visit the main house on Chatsworth Estate on a regular basis. Lots of great pubs, cafes and restaurants around there like you say.....one of the greatest places in Europe in my opinion.... but I am probably a lot older than you and moved here purely for the adventure and to explore the whole of N America...in the 18 months we have been here we have had several trips to NYC, Boston, Maine as well as Montreal, PEI and New Brunswick...enjoyed the different experiences. Our friends also moved out here last year from the same area and didn't take to it as they missed some of the same things you mentioned. It is not for everyone, horses for courses and all that. Good luck on your return to UK and treat yourself to a Bloomers pork pie and a proper Bakewell Pudding when you get back.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jimmydean
It is a small world I was born near Tideswell, we lived between Baslow and Chesterfield. A while back I used to work at Bakewell and had to visit the main house on Chatsworth Estate on a regular basis. Lots of great pubs, cafes and restaurants around there like you say.....one of the greatest places in Europe in my opinion.... but I am probably a lot older than you and moved here purely for the adventure and to explore the whole of N America...in the 18 months we have been here we have had several trips to NYC, Boston, Maine as well as Montreal, PEI and New Brunswick...enjoyed the different experiences. Our friends also moved out here last year from the same area and didn't take to it as they missed some of the same things you mentioned. It is not for everyone, horses for courses and all that. Good luck on your return to UK and treat yourself to a Bloomers pork pie and a proper Bakewell Pudding when you get back.
LOL.. I will mate.... we aren't off until June, but we are looking forward to going home...
Old Dec 31st 2012, 11:13 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I could go on forever mate, peak district, massive choice of shops, restaurants, but mainly my $1,000,000 home..lol.. yes we have burger kings etc... but we also have a vast amount of privately owned shops, coffee shops... and don't even go there with saying NS is on a par..lol... if your happy here, thats great, I am happy for you... we did like Gottengen st ( is that how its spelt.lol ) its different to Timmies and Sobeys and bayers Lake, but its not very big.. great place though... nice little shops and somewere to get a coffee..
I'm always sceptical of people who boast about how much their assets are worth. Usually they know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I'm always sceptical of people who boast about how much their assets are worth. Usually they know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Oh no... not Auld bin...lol... who's boasting ?? I only mentioned the house we live in... never mentioned the value of the others... your great...
Old Jan 1st 2013, 11:06 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that I love it here, its totally for me. We lived too close to Crawley in the UK for my liking and even our little Surrey town had a chav feel to it. I too got sick of the malls there and the food courts and the debenhams, Primark (hurl!) and pound shops of the world.
There were little stores but they were mixed in with the chains, I find that similiar here. Small stores and big chains.

We havent had the spare cash to do all the N America exploring that we would like to do but some of that is to do with the season of our life (childcare costs) and finding the right jobs to give us the spare money BUT we have still managed to enjoy a lot.

If someone stuck me back in the UK now, I dont think I would ever get over it.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 1:49 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one who reads a lot of threads like this and gets the impression that people are more unhappy when they live in an atlantic province?
Old Jan 4th 2013, 1:52 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I think the difference at the moment is that in Canada the mall will be full of shops and people.

In the UK it'll be full of phone shops and "Closed Down" boards.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder is "plastic" is merely clay's perception of Canadian politeness during everyday public social interactions?

Agreed though, the Maritime provinces do have their own distinct charms and culture. If always thought that if you're materialistic, it is probably not the place for you.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:32 pm
To infinity and Beyond !!

tattoo99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by orly
I think the difference at the moment is that in Canada the mall will be full of shops and people.

In the UK it'll be full of phone shops and "Closed Down" boards.
Closed down boards ....Nail and Head springs to mind
Oh and not forgetting the endless selection of Kebab shops !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.