Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

One Year Since Arriving.... [update]

One Year Since Arriving.... [update]

Old May 25th 2008, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

flirble is just really niceflirble is just really niceflirble is just really niceflirble is just really niceflirble is just really niceflirble is just really niceflirble is just really niceflirble is just really nice
Default One Year Since Arriving.... [update]

Thought I'd pop down my thoughts on Canada one year on (well 10months but hey I was in the mood to type )

Myself and my partner (common-law same sex couple) arrived in Canada July 2007 and have been experiencing the new immigrant lifestyle ever since. I left the UK to come and work for RIM, one of the most important things I cannot stress enough is if you are thinking of moving to Canada please please please have a job arranged prior to coming it WILL make your life and the process easier!

I read so many horror stories on these boards about not being able to obtain car credit and credit cards that to be honest we weren't 100% certain we'd manage to make it after we arrived, given that all we had with us was $15k CDN and that was it, we'd decided to sell everything back home and just arrive with our liquidated assets.

So after having had a trip to look for somewhere to live in the Region of Waterloo we had a house rental lined up and had already obtained keys it would mean the house was being paid for for 1 month with no one living in it but we wanted to ensure that services were hooked up and furniture that we'd bought had somewhere to be delivered to, we arranged for someone to house sit on the days that services and deliveries were scheduled to happen.

Everything from that respect worked out beautifully, our relocation consultant stayed at the house for us and all was good - cable was hooked up - tv, phone and internet and all our furniture deliveries made it and all was as expected when we arrived at the house on our actual move day - 'Welcome Home Relocations' provided our consultant and from experience I'd not hesitate to reccomend them - http://www.welcomhomerelocations.ca

Having the use of a relocation consultant was fantastic and definitely eased the whole process, from getting our SIN, Driver's License Exchanged and
Bank Account organised - she knew exactly where and when to go in order to avoid queues and just eased us into our new lives. We successfully obtained Credit Card, Full Service Bank Account (I know you have to pay for them but here our bank has been a MASSIVE improvement over any UK bank I ever had the displeasure to be a customer of)

So that was arrival... we are here now and have been living life - since we've arrived we've discovered that cost of living here in Waterloo averages out to be significantly cheaper than back home in the UK, however for some bizarre reason Chicken and Cheese is very expensive... god knows why.
  • Cars = Cheaper
  • Fuel = Cheaper (about cent for penny at time of writing $1.27 litre)
  • Food = Generally Cheaper but some exceptions (as noted above)
  • Services (cable, satellite etc) = Overall Cheaper
  • Houses = MUCH Cheaper
  • Car Insurance = More Expensive

We've found the little corner of Ontario we are now in very hospitable, people are very friendly and constantly curious about where we are from - some seem to think New Zealand or Australia and other pick up it's the UK straight away.

If you pine for some of your favorite British comforts then there is a small network of british shops in the area that can furnish you with essentials from home, at a price, Branston Pickle, Pork Pies, Marks & Spencer Biscuits and other foods are all available - it's worth seeking out 'Best of British' in the Peddler's section of St Jacobs Farmer's Market - Thurs and Saturdays.

Life has been good and Canada appears to have welcomed us with open arms so far, so much so that we've bought a house and are now very settled, we are currently only on Work Permit's with Permanent Residency in progress.

More updates to come, hope you found the above useful
Old May 25th 2008, 10:47 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Year Since Arriving.... [update]

Thanks for taking the time to post - enjoyed reading....

How much do the relocation consultants charge?
Old May 25th 2008, 11:28 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the situation report, flirble. Glad to hear that, in general, things are going well for you. I got a chuckle out of the fact that you were pleased with your Canadian bank. Who would have thought?
x
Old May 26th 2008, 12:48 am
Just Joined

flirble is just really niceflirble is just really niceflirble is just really niceflirble is just really niceflirble is just really niceflirble is just really niceflirble is just really niceflirble is just really nice

Originally Posted by G77
Thanks for taking the time to post - enjoyed reading....

How much do the relocation consultants charge?
I'm afraid I couldn't tell you as they were provided by my employer....

Sorry
Old May 26th 2008, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

fi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud of

Congrats on your first year. I'm also a RIM employee but I got the job after landing so got no relocation. My boss told me had I waited 6 months they would have given me relocation...didn't really cheer me up considering I'd just spent my life saving to get here. Nevermind, 2.5 years in and it's all good.

Best of luck with your life in Waterloo.

Fi
Old May 26th 2008, 5:11 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Its great that people post updates. Keep them coming.
Old May 31st 2008, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

pcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: One Year Since Arriving.... [update]

Thank you this is a great post. I am moving across with my company soon so this is really useful!

Cheers,

P
Old May 31st 2008, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Thanks for posting your update - it's great to read a positive story
Old May 31st 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice

Hi both,
many thanks for up-date, real good read. Nice to here good vibes about relocating to Canada, there has been some bad gossip as late

Well done and good luck to you both.

Thanks again, please post more in a few more months
Regards,
Carl
Old Jun 1st 2008, 4:26 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you're settling in, thanks for letting everone know.