Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

One Year in Edmonton Alberta

One Year in Edmonton Alberta

Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:53 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Year in Edmonton Alberta

Originally Posted by Neil52
I was thinking of Canada (Edmonton) instead of going back to Oz, this thread has confused me big time.....should I just stay put in Stratford upon avon which seems nicer that the picture you paint of Edmonton
...Stratford upon avon and Edmonton, they're so similar, that really must be a tricky one for you?
Old Jan 6th 2010, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Apoc X is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bsmith
....My god, there's only so much fun, culture & atmosphere one can take - and with the city "literally" collapsing and killing people in something reminiscent of a Godzilla movie but with French subtitles, I can see why you would consider the place virtually uninhabitable.

Should we here in Edmonton be bracing ourselves for the imminent arrival of the 2 million or so refugees that will no doubt be making their way West as Montreal eventually crumbles into the dust?
Actually poor infrastructure is an important issue there, as is the massive debt load from the Olympic games that they took nearly 30 years to pay off. The literally crumbling Olympic stadium which can't even be used for most sports is a prime example of this. Let's not forget Montreal is the HQ of the Mafia in Canada, and the fact for a few years gang shootings & bombs was a very serious problem throughout the area. And yes I would venture a guess more Quebcors are transplanted in Alberta, than Albertans in Quebec.

But I suppose as long as the cafes are chique enough, and it looks fancy enough on your places visited or travelled log that's all the matters. As long as the majority of the residents pretend to not speak english, it feels like your in some place really exotic.

But then again its much funner to troll about a city/area instead of engaging in a discussion about living conditions in Canada I suppose. Who cares if people try to be helpful or informative. As long as you can virtually snicker, and throw barbs it's one more for the virtual win category right? I suggest they offer everyone a serious grain of salt or disclaimer before reading your views on anything, never mind all things Canadian.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 1:29 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apoc X

But then again its much funner to troll about a city/area instead of engaging in a discussion about living conditions in Canada I suppose. Who cares if people try to be helpful or informative. As long as you can virtually snicker, and throw barbs it's one more for the virtual win category right? I suggest they offer everyone a serious grain of salt or disclaimer before reading your views on anything, never mind all things Canadian.

....but in reality, what else is there to say about Edmonton? You probably hit the nail on the head when you said it was "livable" - that's this place in a nutshell really. It's kind of up there with bearable, tolerable and endurable in terms of adjectives that adequately describe the place. -

Most people who come here do so for the work - that's it. As for the "world class city" nonsense that is forever being spouted, just stop it, it's embarrassing.

(and I must apologize for the snickering. My bad!)
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:39 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

....but in reality, what else is there to say about Edmonton? You probably hit the nail on the head when you said it was "livable" - that's this place in a nutshell really. It's kind of up there with bearable, tolerable and endurable in terms of adjectives that adequately describe the place. -

Most people who come here do so for the work - that's it. As for the "world class city" nonsense that is forever being spouted, just stop it, it's embarrassing.

(and I must apologize for the snickering. My bad!)
Wouldn't that be true of all Canada? You're not likely to come for the richness of the culture.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Oink
Wouldn't that be true of all Canada? You're not likely to come for the richness of the culture.
...not according to the chap above. Montreal has bags of the stuff, but apparently the place is on it's uppers and is on the verge of being condemned.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil52
I was thinking of Canada (Edmonton) instead of going back to Oz, this thread has confused me big time.....should I just stay put in Stratford upon avon which seems nicer that the picture you paint of Edmonton
We have been here for almost 5 years and love it!!!!

We moved to Sherwood Park after living in SW Edmonton only because the house prices had gone mad in the area we were living. Both places we have lived I would recommend to anyone.

From day one we have never regretted moving here......we love the summers and embrace the cold winters. Our children then 6 & 4 took it all in their stride and love it here too.

Where ever you live you can find fault........life is what you make it and I believe that some people would bitch and moan where ever they lived.

For us......we thought about what made us happy and what we wanted out of life for the future.......We originally came for the year, (hubby took a years leave and we rented the house) We had not done a recce trip and arrived in March 2005 to -12 and a snow strom

We did as much research as possible into schools in the area we wanted to be and then went for it.

The only down side to Canada is being so far away from family.......99 % of the time this is fine and only causes a problem when dealing with elderly parents, which is happening now for us and it sucks big time But I know in my heart that my children have to come first and I really don't want them growing up in the UK.

Good luck with your adventure.....

Linda
Old Jan 7th 2010, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

budymaz has a spectacular aura aboutbudymaz has a spectacular aura aboutbudymaz has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: One Year in Edmonton Alberta

Thank you so much for this heartening account of your journey in the last 5 years. We're anticipating arriving Sep 2011 at earliest - I hope to get a Principal's job in Ontario. We have 2 boys, aged 7 and 4 now and can't wait to get over. Like yourselves we just add up what we want from life for them and how unattainable it is here in England; we're originally from N.Ireland
Old Jan 7th 2010, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by budymaz
Thank you so much for this heartening account of your journey in the last 5 years. We're anticipating arriving Sep 2011 at earliest - I hope to get a Principal's job in Ontario. We have 2 boys, aged 7 and 4 now and can't wait to get over. Like yourselves we just add up what we want from life for them and how unattainable it is here in England; we're originally from N.Ireland
You are very welcome

We have had a very positive experience and feel very lucky. I probably should mention that hubby had a job to come to and we did have a decent deposit to put done on our home, which can make a huge difference to how you look at life. I had no intention of working while the children were young, but a year ago started working at the 'before and after school care' at their school - it won't make us rich, but helps to pay for the extras, plus the children are with me

Just today, I have finished all the paperwork to apply for our citizenship, for us, this will be the cherry on the cake!!!!

Hope your adventure will be as smooth as ours.....

Linda
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Clairesa is an unknown quantity at this point

Woops - Im meant to be moving there shortly - It does depend on what you make of it and im hoping to give it my all ?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Clairesa
Woops - Im meant to be moving there shortly - It does depend on what you make of it and im hoping to give it my all ?

Not sure how I didn't see this post till now, although I have been busy working hard at my own business thanks to EDMONTON, ALBERTA, I could never have what I have now in the UK.

By any chance did the original poster live in the North End as it is a bit rougher than most parts.

Luckily for us we stayed in an appartment in the Southside and now live on an acreage about 15mins SE of Sherwood Park, while we stayed at the appt we had no problems whatsoever, we even walked 20mins in the early hours back from the bar safely.

Edmontonians are super friendly, no complaints there, with the exception of some Scottish Expats in particular who work at Canadian Tire who are very rude!

Lots to do here, tons of concerts, hockey, Lacrosse, CFL, Grand-Prix, exhibitions on your doorstep, the Mall, c'mon, what is wrong with you people?!

Excellent restaurants, I love Century Grill, the steak is the best, shove the Keg and Ruths Chris up your jacksy!

RCMP very friendly and helpful, laugh when you drive up the wrong side of the road....twice!

You will have fun here and make a living, I plan to retire to the Carib so am working my ass off to achieve this, OH GOD I HEAR YOU ALL SCREAM, SHE's LEAVING, SHE HATES IT!, No I dont, I love it, I always said I would retire to the Carib, moved here to achieve it as there's more dosh to be made for husband and me here therefore we can retire younger

I am proud to be Canadian(yes I got my citizenship)and to base myself close to Edmonton......thank-you and goodnight!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:45 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pammy
Not sure how I didn't see this post till now, although I have been busy working hard at my own business thanks to EDMONTON, ALBERTA, I could never have what I have now in the UK.

By any chance did the original poster live in the North End as it is a bit rougher than most parts.

Luckily for us we stayed in an appartment in the Southside and now live on an acreage about 15mins SE of Sherwood Park, while we stayed at the appt we had no problems whatsoever, we even walked 20mins in the early hours back from the bar safely.

Edmontonians are super friendly, no complaints there, with the exception of some Scottish Expats in particular who work at Canadian Tire who are very rude!

Lots to do here, tons of concerts, hockey, Lacrosse, CFL, Grand-Prix, exhibitions on your doorstep, the Mall, c'mon, what is wrong with you people?!

Excellent restaurants, I love Century Grill, the steak is the best, shove the Keg and Ruths Chris up your jacksy!

RCMP very friendly and helpful, laugh when you drive up the wrong side of the road....twice!

You will have fun here and make a living, I plan to retire to the Carib so am working my ass off to achieve this, OH GOD I HEAR YOU ALL SCREAM, SHE's LEAVING, SHE HATES IT!, No I dont, I love it, I always said I would retire to the Carib, moved here to achieve it as there's more dosh to be made for husband and me here therefore we can retire younger

I am proud to be Canadian(yes I got my citizenship)and to base myself close to Edmonton......thank-you and goodnight!
Nice one, Pammy. Continued happiness to you.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pammy
Why?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Why?

I had a good job in the UK with Gates Power Transmission but still made more money in Canada dog grooming.

The house I have here is huge on 40 acres, I managed to build my own dog kennel/grooming place on my property(no way could I finance that in the UK)

People in Canada want to see you do good and help you, whereas in the UK they want you to fall on your ass as they are jealous.

Someone we had only known for 8months spent every night after work till 10pm for 3 months helping my husband and I finish the interior again in the UK chances are our friends would be too busy getting drunk to help!

Things have worked out good for us, it is hard when you leave your family and something happens, my Mum in Law got cancer and passed away, we were there for her last week but feel guilty we did not spend more time with her then year before but she did not want us to come back to the UK as she knew we were better/happier in Canada but thats life, it throws sh*t at you and you just have to deal with it....I am rambling again...sorry!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

you had to have lived in dumfriesshire to appreciate the chances available in canada.
also if i have to spend a weekend waiting for a backload ,edmonton beats calgary hands down,the people are much friendlier ..imo.
james
Old Feb 24th 2010, 5:40 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Best wishes for many more years. Enjoy life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.