not easy here

Old Apr 7th 2010, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: not easy here

My hubby never managed to find a job in IT, now he has given up as his skills are behind. He is now a handyman with a degree!

So sorry to hear about your problems- I can sympathise. We are actually in the process of deciding whether to go back, we have been here since 2002.

One piece of advice- stick it out to get your Canadian citizenship, because if you do go back, if you dont like it ( some are ping pongers) then at least you can come back and you have'nt burnt your bridges!

The UK always looks nice from afar- go to the thread 50's 60's in Return to UK- its an interesting read!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:45 am
Just Joined

dorsetgal will become famous soon enough

gues its a case of the grass isn't always greener - it must be tough living so far from family and friends and thus no support
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dorsetgal
gues its a case of the grass isn't always greener - it must be tough living so far from family and friends and thus no support
Definitely Dorset Gal- I came from Dorset -Poole
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:41 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Definitely Dorset Gal- I came from Dorset -Poole
ah, I am from Bournemouth/Christchurch Dorset
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
ah, I am from Bournemouth/Christchurch Dorset
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Gee - really sorry to read this. You're right it can be really tough. Not everyone who emigrates goes through the same experience. And it certainly sounds like you've been through a lot.

People will tell you the grass is NOT greener. But I'm sure you know that. This expression is valid but it really doesn't help in matters such as this. We have to look at things objectively and there's nothing wrong with reaching the conclusion that you're better off moving back. There is a forum for exactly that and I recommend that you take some time to read threads there. Not to convince yourself to leave canada and return to UK, you understand. But to see that there's nothing necessarily wrong with this decision. And there are people who do this and don't regret it. That forum would also be an excellent resource to help if you go down this path.

You won't mind me noticing that you have a big family there. I presume you have no family out here. In my experience Canadians don't seem to step in and help as quickly as Brits. They'll stand by and watch people go through a crisis and even a breakdown. They'll be judgemental but won't step in with constructive assistance. I believe this to be a cultural thing. Whatever it is it makes struggling in Canada very much more difficult.

Regarding the delicious chinese food that is just mysteriously not available here, I learned to make it myself. I haven't yet found crispy duck. They have duck here, but for some reason one of the favourite chinese dishes just doesn't seem to exist in any comparable way. In fact now I think about it, there's many many basic foods that Canada doesn't seem to have. It wouldn't be so bad if they had their own range of delicious alternatives. But I find Canadian food pretty dull.

Well anyway good luck with your decisions and don't be afraid of grabbing life by the curlies and making it work for you. PM me if you need support or advice. I'm in Vancouver too and my own experience may help put things into perspective for you.

Cheers

Originally Posted by l green
My husband I and our 4 young children made to move to Vancouver in August 2008. I can't say it was easy!! in fact very hard, extremly expensive and stressful. We bought the house we had been renting in as we could not cope with moving the kids all over again- and we had settled into this neigbourhood and made friends ect. Now we are skint all the time and we both have to wotk- me part time as a nurse doing mainly night shifts as the childcare is too expensive and we are still paying things off in the UK. I feel now we should have waiting longer to make the move from the UK! don't know if it was the rite thing to do- feeling a bit homesick and fustrated its going to cost over 5K to have a visit home and thats if we can fit it into my husbands leave from work for the yr- he only gets 3 weeks but never can take 2 weeks at a time!! his job is the pits- works all hrs god sends and does not get paid for working any extra hrs above his already full time hrs. he carries a pager which goes off all hrs of the night and he has to respond, he works bank holidays and weekends alot of the time... and we didn't plan on it but we found out the other week i am pregnant with baby number 5!!(which was a accident...) im missing the chinese crispy duck and peking sauce you can get from the UK with them pancakes and also the crispy seaweed- can't find it any were here- anyone no were we can get it?? I have to say i have alot of regret.. maybe i'll feel different given time.. i know if we went back to the UK i'd miss the lovely people and friends we've met and the great days out in the mountains (when we get chance!)
Old Apr 27th 2010, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

l green is just really nicel green is just really nicel green is just really nicel green is just really nicel green is just really nicel green is just really nicel green is just really nicel green is just really nice

thanks for all the advice. Things have really took a turn for the worse now as we sadly found out 2 weeks ago that my pregnancy had ended as my baby had died- i was 18 weeks along and when we went for ultrasound there was no heart beat. I had to ask my family Dr twice for a ultrasound prior to finding out as she said and insisted that my baby was fine despite the fact that she could not find the fetal heart! she said the baby was just lying toward the back and that it was just been a 'bugger' were her words. After i returned to her office on 2 occassions and she still couldnt find it she reluctantly said she would book me for a ultrasound- but had to wait till the following week!- not happy i went on my jolly way and went to work at the hospital on the Sunday- i was worried about it so went to the maternity dept that day at work and had the staff there try to find the heart beat. the nurse couldn't find it so called a Dr and then he brought the U/S and together we found my perfect little baby just lying there but the heart wasn't beating! they said baby had died 2 weeks prior and if we hadnt have found out i would have become very sick- they said the baby would have to be out in a matter of just a couple of days.
This has left us totally devastated and yes we have 4 gorgeous kids to be blessed with but it doesn't replace the one we lost. Had to have time off work most of it unpaid as my sick hrs ran out and im not entitled to any compasionate leave as they said this was due to the early gestation of the baby- so it ull be back to work for me!Love my job but feel as if the stress of all the night shifts and lack of sleep did this to me! I wish I could post a happy, positive comment but really at the moment thats quite hard. We are really lucky to have made some lovely friends out here and they have been so helpful lately while i was in hospital ect having my baby and so im really thankful for that. Got babys ashes at the weekend which in a sad kind of way brings us closer to Canada as even though it ended so horrid i had my Canada baby! Our baby was taken on our wedding anniversary of all days. Honestly I feel i could write a book about our goings on- just a shame its not particularly a happy, positive one! Sorry to moan moan moan, Just nice to get it off my chest.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 4:48 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by l green
thanks for all the advice. Things have really took a turn for the worse now as we sadly found out 2 weeks ago that my pregnancy had ended as my baby had died- i was 18 weeks along and when we went for ultrasound there was no heart beat. I had to ask my family Dr twice for a ultrasound prior to finding out as she said and insisted that my baby was fine despite the fact that she could not find the fetal heart! she said the baby was just lying toward the back and that it was just been a 'bugger' were her words. After i returned to her office on 2 occassions and she still couldnt find it she reluctantly said she would book me for a ultrasound- but had to wait till the following week!- not happy i went on my jolly way and went to work at the hospital on the Sunday- i was worried about it so went to the maternity dept that day at work and had the staff there try to find the heart beat. the nurse couldn't find it so called a Dr and then he brought the U/S and together we found my perfect little baby just lying there but the heart wasn't beating! they said baby had died 2 weeks prior and if we hadnt have found out i would have become very sick- they said the baby would have to be out in a matter of just a couple of days.
This has left us totally devastated and yes we have 4 gorgeous kids to be blessed with but it doesn't replace the one we lost. Had to have time off work most of it unpaid as my sick hrs ran out and im not entitled to any compasionate leave as they said this was due to the early gestation of the baby- so it ull be back to work for me!Love my job but feel as if the stress of all the night shifts and lack of sleep did this to me! I wish I could post a happy, positive comment but really at the moment thats quite hard. We are really lucky to have made some lovely friends out here and they have been so helpful lately while i was in hospital ect having my baby and so im really thankful for that. Got babys ashes at the weekend which in a sad kind of way brings us closer to Canada as even though it ended so horrid i had my Canada baby! Our baby was taken on our wedding anniversary of all days. Honestly I feel i could write a book about our goings on- just a shame its not particularly a happy, positive one! Sorry to moan moan moan, Just nice to get it off my chest.
oh dear - that is sooo sad - not sure what to say - but hugs and pm me if you want to meet up with me and some other s for a coffee / wine tec xxx
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:30 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

count me in too..sorry for your loss
Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:58 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm so sorry for your loss x
Old Apr 29th 2010, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

nzwasp is on a distinguished road

You should be able to find some excellent chinese food in Richmond, and Burnaby, whatever you do dont go to china town because its terrible there - china town has definetly moved to Richmond these days - there is some chinese mall there with a pretty good dimsum place.

Also my fiancee and I (im a recent immigrant - actually just became PR 3 weeks ago) really wanted to move to Vancouver but its one of the most expensive cities in the world these days. We looked at a 3br house with garage (same sort of house as our one in Calgary) in the Richmond, and Burnaby area and it would of cost us $950k.

Also the jobs are terrible I also work in IT and the jobs that there are when I looked which is not many. They also pay nothing compared to Calgary. Its pretty disapointing. My advice would be to either move further out of Vancouver or to move to another city.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 2:58 am
Just Joined

l green is just really nicel green is just really nicel green is just really nicel green is just really nicel green is just really nicel green is just really nicel green is just really nicel green is just really nice

Originally Posted by nzwasp
You should be able to find some excellent chinese food in Richmond, and Burnaby, whatever you do dont go to china town because its terrible there - china town has definetly moved to Richmond these days - there is some chinese mall there with a pretty good dimsum place.

Also my fiancee and I (im a recent immigrant - actually just became PR 3 weeks ago) really wanted to move to Vancouver but its one of the most expensive cities in the world these days. We looked at a 3br house with garage (same sort of house as our one in Calgary) in the Richmond, and Burnaby area and it would of cost us $950k.

Also the jobs are terrible I also work in IT and the jobs that there are when I looked which is not many. They also pay nothing compared to Calgary. Its pretty disapointing. My advice would be to either move further out of Vancouver or to move to another city.
yes i agree that maybe its worth considering a move again. the only thing that puts us off is moving the kids again.. they don't take too well for change. I soppose though it would be better to consider it now then wait too long, struggle along and find it even harder to move later on!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sorry to hear how things have been for you and your family. I'm sorry for your loss and hope with all my heart things begin to improve. If you can access some counselling you may find you get some peace from it and start to see things more clearly and will be less overwhelmed with "everything" as you must be at the moment.

All the very best to you and yours

Positive vibes going out to you,
Mrs M x
Old Apr 30th 2010, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Im so sorry to hear what has happened, I hope things improve for you and your family whatever you decide to do, please remember there is always a shoulder on here and help if you need it,

Not everyone reads this section, may be an idea if you have more questions to ask in the maple etc.

Try and go for a coffee with 4 Bells ( Carrie ) im sure it will help to talk to someone that will understand some of what you are going through x
Old May 1st 2010, 2:38 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I've only just read this thread and my heart aches for you too.
I wonder if it's worth looking at Calgary though, (though it's not exactly cheap here!) or elsewhere where OH might get a more suitable job...

I know you feel the kids don't cope well with change, but after coping with the move over here, they probably won't make such a big deal of it as you will! It's worth looking at anyway.

We love living in Calgary btw. The blue skies and sunshine (today for instance) more than make up for the perceived cold weather.

Take care honey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.