Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Nine months in and where do I go from here

Nine months in and where do I go from here

Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

techwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant future
Red face Nine months in and where do I go from here

Hi all,

I am writing this posting a few hours before a flight back on a return trip to my home land, Scotland. It has been 9 long months since I came over to the Canadian west coast, and my Canadian wife and I are taking a break to reflect and plan.

Despite what some people say in these groups, I can testify that a move over here is no picnic. We have has some good times and bad times.

The high points I would say were -

Our honeymoon, just after we came over, to Hawaii and San Francisco.
Passing my BC driving test, after failing the first time - some say it easy, but it is not that easy.
Moving out of the in-laws house into a rental - we can stretch our wings again.

The low points -

The bouts of homesickness I have had - yes, speaking to my folks twice a week helps, but it is not the same as being in the same room as them.
Not having a proper job - despite searching and applying for tech support vacancies, and getting interviews for some, nothing seems to come of them.

Hopefully, the trip home will help to recharge my batteries and give me renewed hope that things will change for the better when we return, but there is always that niggling doubt at the back of my mind that tells me we may need to go back if things dont work out.

Does anyone else have these feelings ?

GW
Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

londonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Nine months in and where do I go from here

Sorry to hear about the bad stuff mate. I expect that the primary one is the job. I am worried to death about this for when I get there in August.

Still, it sounds like you are dealing with it as well as can be expected.

What do you do for a living. I assume not tech support ?
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Without a job in these hard economic times is bad enough anywhere you live.

We had to suck it up when we came in 1963. No cheap phone calls (once a month for three mins) and no way we could have made a trip home after 9 months ( maybe 5 years). I suppose knowing that, we had to make the most of the positives, we placed a deposit on our first home in Canada after 6 months. Having a place of your own gives you roots.

Only been back 3 times in 46 years last in 1982.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Hi GW,

Sorry to hear you've had some difficulties. As one of the other respondents has suggested, the emigration challenge (surely only the lucky few or those with an agenda, portray this life changing experience as a completely straightforward thing to do) is all the harder when work is proving hard to come by. Moreover, in our experience, the homesickness was at its worst before our careers got underway here...too much time to think perhaps.

We hope your trip back to Scotland does the trick in terms of helping you to figure out the next best steps for you and your family.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Getting There
Hi GW,

Sorry to hear you've had some difficulties. As one of the other respondents has suggested, the emigration challenge (surely only the lucky few or those with an agenda, portray this life changing experience as a completely straightforward thing to do) is all the harder when work is proving hard to come by. Moreover, in our experience, the homesickness was at its worst before our careers got underway here...too much time to think perhaps.

We hope your trip back to Scotland does the trick in terms of helping you to figure out the next best steps for you and your family.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Hi GW
I've been here 2 weeks tomorrow, my Canadian OH has been in the States for the past week so have been here on my own. Feel like im on a rollercoaster one minute feel great and loving it the next minute could just get straight on a plane and go home and just hug my Mum.
Everyone keeps telling me that it takes time but don't know if I can live with just seeing my family once or twice a year and talking on phone, i never realised how much i was going to miss them, im getting a sick feeling just writing this so i know exactly how you feel.
I hope your trip back makes you feel better
Jo
Old Jun 6th 2009, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway
Hi GW
I've been here 2 weeks tomorrow, my Canadian OH has been in the States for the past week so have been here on my own. Feel like im on a rollercoaster one minute feel great and loving it the next minute could just get straight on a plane and go home and just hug my Mum.
Everyone keeps telling me that it takes time but don't know if I can live with just seeing my family once or twice a year and talking on phone, i never realised how much i was going to miss them, im getting a sick feeling just writing this so i know exactly how you feel.
I hope your trip back makes you feel better
Jo

Hi Jo,

We really feel for you but stick in there. You describe your feelings as a rollercoaster and for us, that was very true too. It will settle down in time.

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

pollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to all

get skype so good to see family on video skype. Talk to my adult children daily.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:42 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

It has taken me almost three years to feel that we made the right decision. It's hard alright.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

emmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud of

We also have been in BC for just over 9 mths and I am actually on my last few days of a 5 weeks trip back to the UK.
OH has not come with me but I missed my family and friends so came on my own.
Now after spending 5 weeks here the boot is on the other foot. I can now understand why my husband does not want to return.
Yes I miss my family and also friends, but it has made me realize 'out of sight out of mind' is pretty true.
I have met people whilst I have been here that did not even know we had gone.
I have just been into our local town Blackpool and its full of drunks and stag and hen parties. Even my local area seems mucky to me, rubbish thrown on the streets and dog mess everywhere.
I think when you come back from your trip back to UK you will realize what you have in Canada....I do and cant wait to get HOME ....
Old Jun 10th 2009, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

gary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond repute

HI

Sorry to hear you feel like ,this, Job wise I understand. I was a Snr production manager in the UK, and all I could get was agencey work making shock absorbers for tanks for the first 7 months. Then I got a break as a production supervisor in a bakery (afternoons!!!!) , so what I am saying is just stick in there and the breaks will come.

Gary
Old Jun 10th 2009, 1:07 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

You've picked an ideal time to head home and review the two countries.
We spent a year in Ontario and headed back home. With hindsight we should've done what you are doing and visited as we are currently contemplating a return to Canada for a variety of reasons.

Also you may and can go back in the future as the days of it being a one way choice such as Keith went through are long gone.

I can understand the work issues but in the present climate who's to say you would be doing your chosen job here in Blighty.
Best of Luck.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 4:03 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by techwizard
Hi all,

I am writing this posting a few hours before a flight back on a return trip to my home land, Scotland. It has been 9 long months since I came over to the Canadian west coast, and my Canadian wife and I are taking a break to reflect and plan.

Despite what some people say in these groups, I can testify that a move over here is no picnic. We have has some good times and bad times.

The high points I would say were -

Our honeymoon, just after we came over, to Hawaii and San Francisco.
Passing my BC driving test, after failing the first time - some say it easy, but it is not that easy.
Moving out of the in-laws house into a rental - we can stretch our wings again.

The low points -

The bouts of homesickness I have had - yes, speaking to my folks twice a week helps, but it is not the same as being in the same room as them.
Not having a proper job - despite searching and applying for tech support vacancies, and getting interviews for some, nothing seems to come of them.

Hopefully, the trip home will help to recharge my batteries and give me renewed hope that things will change for the better when we return, but there is always that niggling doubt at the back of my mind that tells me we may need to go back if things dont work out.

Does anyone else have these feelings ?

GW
wishing you the best of luck in your jobsearch, the homesickness does get easier. Have a good visit in the UK, hopefully the change will decide things in your own mind,
Terese
Old Jun 27th 2009, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

techwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant future

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who sent a response.

My wife and I went over to Scotland 3 weeks back, and it is surprising how things have changed, in such a few months, and sometimes for the worst.

We came to the conclusion, that despite the bouts of homesickness, missing family and not having a job, we are better off in BC, than we would have been remaining in the UK.

The job search now begins again in earnest, but I now do not feel as bad as I did when I went back to visit. Yes the IT market over here, may be bad, but I think that it may be in a slightly better condition than that of the UK.

My family are only a call away on Skype, and my wife, in-laws and other people I can turn to, such as the good people on here, should the need arise.

Hopefully, things will change for the better sooner rather than later, and I will let you know what happens when it does.

Best wishes

GW (Gordon)
Old Jun 28th 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Nine months in and where do I go from here

Hey im sure they will and hope they do, when i come over to B.C i will also be looking for IT jobs and hope it doesnt take too long to find a job......

good luck and all the best with your new life in Canada.

MR79