My Journey...

Old Aug 3rd 2012, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default My Journey...

hello guys!

just felt like starting a thread to detail how i'm getting on with my new life in Canada

i'll start with a little background story for anyone who's interested...

I'm a 23 year old qualified Mechanical/Aeronautical engineer, served my time with General Electric in Scotland working on CF6 aircraft engines.

Around July 2011, while casually perusing the job section of my local paper, i noticed an advert for "Transcanada Turbines" nr Calgary, looking for time served engineers who had experience of GE CF6 or Rolls Royce aircraft engines!

So i applied, not thinking i'd be in with a shout, since i've only been fully qualified for 2 years (and a 4 year apprenticeship before that).

Low-and-behold, I was invited over for an interview in October 2011 and loved the place. I must have impressed in my interview, as in December 2011, i was offered a job with TCT subject to being granted an LMO and TWP.

So a few months went by (as i was expecting) and eventually in June, i was informed that my LMO was approved and I would be able to make arrangements to come out to Calgary!

So after working my notice, i took a few weeks just to tie up my affairs at home, sell my car, sell any crap i had lying about (i lived with my parents so didn't need to worry about selling a house luckily!)

August 1st:
Fortunately, at this time of the year, AirTransat fly directly from Glasgow, so after my flights were all booked, i was a 30 minute jaunt up the road and onto the plane on the 1st of August! A nice flight, with decent food for a change, and also got into YYC 45mins early!

Into immigration and handed over all the LMO documents and certificates, and my job offer letter etc to the CBSA officer. 10 mins later, i'm driving out of YYC with my 2 year TWP and my whole life packed into two suitcases!

Straight up the road and into the hotel in Airdrie i'm staying at, and had a relaxing evening, emailed work to let them know i'd landed.

August 2nd:
Went out and about to get my bearings. Bought a couple of bits and pieces just to tide me over in the hotel. Picked up a couple of leaflets for phone contracts and just generally had a chilled out day being nosey!

August 3rd:
Been down to Service Canada, got my SIN number and got an appointment at the bank about opening an account!

and thats where i'm at!

hope you enjoyed that so far!
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:04 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Journey...

3 days isnt exacly an "anniversary", but what the hell. So far so good.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
3 days isnt exacly an "anniversary", but what the hell. So far so good.
its been 13 months so far since i began the journey hahah
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:11 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
its been 13 months so far since i began the journey hahah
You're a month late
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
You're a month late
Look at his avatar then you will figure it out
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

you've lost me!

Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:21 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

you've lost me!

I'm not sure about the avatar. If it's a football reference it'll be lost on me.

As for the month out......Anniversary isn't every 13 months
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ahh i see what you mean now!

not everyone posting in here is doing it on the anniversary though...i just wanted to join in, even if i am a month late
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about the avatar. If it's a football reference it'll be lost on me.

Unless you are a baker or is that going to be lost on some
No football reference just the country
Now its sorted out I will slink off now.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

Hi haggis88 i thought it was a good write up.
hope job works out well
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:23 pm
Beep

ahh i see what you mean now!

not everyone posting in here is doing it on the anniversary though...i just wanted to join in, even if i am a month late
My wife was a month late earlier this year. Now she's nearly 9 months late
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

My wife was a month late earlier this year. Now she's nearly 9 months late
uh-oh!
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

It's a baker's year .

Anyway, congratulations and good luck!
Old Aug 4th 2012, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Calgary - I hope things go well for you.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

Welcome to Canada from a fellow jock!! Hope everything works out well for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.