Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

My First Year in Vancouver

My First Year in Vancouver

Old Oct 10th 2014, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

segaste is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My First Year in Vancouver

So I thought I'd post a brief bit on my first year here in Vancouver on the IEC visa.

As I'm on a working holiday visa, I am treating it as a long holiday and I've been travelling as much as I can; I'm fortunate to have some savings to fund all my trips.

I've travelled around BC loads and think the place is just incredible! I just can't get over some of the views, even the views from the skytrain.

I've travelled into the US loads too. I've been to Seattle tonnes of times, I love the place, especially the EMP museum. I'm back their again this weekend to go the symphony. Been LA a few times, Vegas, Porland, Washington State.

I find the people here nice and chatty and easy to get on with. I know Vancouver gets a lot of negativity for the people but I think they're ok. Though, I haven't made any friends but I'm not one for friends I'm more of a loaner, so not sure if it's me or them. Not met any women either, oh they've been keen and interested and given me their number but just not bothered after that. Bloody women.

Whilst the people are friendly and chatty, I find they have a distinct lack of manners. I'm confused as to how Canadians have this incredibly polite reputation when I find British people far more polite. The word 'please' doesn't exist here, I'm constantly reminding my colleagues to say please when asking me to do something. Maybe I'm just too polite and well mannered myself and have high expectations.

I am really enjoying myself out here though in spite of all the faults. Vancouver is no where near the perfect place but no where is (well, maybe Seattle).

When my Visa is up next summer I won't be staying. I've already sorted out a working holiday visa for Australia (which took about six hours not the stressful three month the IEC visa took!) but for now I'm making the most of being here. Another trip to Vancouver Island, Calgary and Oregon are my next few things to do.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My First Year in Vancouver

Good for you! I find that Canadians are superficially nice but they break promises at the drop of a hat, hardly a genuine niceness in my books. Enjoy the rest of your time.