Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

My Canadian Love Story

My Canadian Love Story

Old Apr 1st 2013, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Returninghome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Canadian Love Story

Hi I really enjoyed your story, thanks for sharing. I hope your PR comes soon.

I hear you on the homesick stuff - it's a wicked kick in the throat sometimes & I find the strangest things can trigger it.

Much like you we did the skype, visit thing too. I was lucky as I had access to an Ancestry Visa and moved to be with him in the UK.

I remember the 4 months I was there before I found work. Not the best time, hard on the brain and the bank account. The good news is 3+ years later, the memory is distant. Some how I managed (lots of reading, going to the gym, cooking, cleaning, skyping waaaayyy too much with my mother).

We moved to Canada 8 months ago, so the shoe has been on the other foot as we have been waiting for his PR to come through. I am so blessed that the man of my dreams also is a handy man - who has some how kept himself sain through this crazy winter setting up our home.

I will have to check this thread again for your updates - wishing you all the best in Cowtown. x

PS He says that the Extra Foods Pork breakfast sausages are pretty good...hope that helps.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

whisker is an unknown quantity at this point

I loved reading this as I am in a very similar situation and it made me laugh. I also met a lovely Canadian guy in Mexico who has also stampeded his way into my heart and my life! I'm currently planning my move over to BC to live with him. I'm super lucky to already have citizenship through my parents so I can move over fairly soon hopefully! I'm curious what you miss most about the UK? I'm planning on bringing m&s underwear over with me and loads of clothes as I've heard they're expensive over there?! Marmite? Good tea?!!
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 2:39 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whisker
I loved reading this as I am in a very similar situation and it made me laugh. I also met a lovely Canadian guy in Mexico who has also stampeded his way into my heart and my life! I'm currently planning my move over to BC to live with him. I'm super lucky to already have citizenship through my parents so I can move over fairly soon hopefully! I'm curious what you miss most about the UK? I'm planning on bringing m&s underwear over with me and loads of clothes as I've heard they're expensive over there?! Marmite? Good tea?!!
Marmite is available
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

whisker is an unknown quantity at this point

Conspicuously silent on the 'good tea' though!!
I'll bring loads of earl grey over I think.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

sarahthetall555 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow - so reminds me of my own love story which is continuing 7 yrs on!! Im still 'trying to emmigrate' from Wales to Canada... very hard to take the Welsh girls away from their green green grass of home!!
I know the boredom and depression only too well - just think how many people back home would love to be you though.. keep a perspective and keep saying thankyou and more good stuff will come your way!! : ) x
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 7:41 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Jeez now I'm crying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5axlwCBXC8&sns=em
Old Apr 7th 2013, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

Reevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant future

All the messages are so lovely and supportive... thank you ladies!!

Awwww such a cute song caretaker... love it

Sarah – you are totally right, I say thank you every day for this amazing opportunity and that I have found love with someone very special.
I love Wales and can't wait to take my husband over the bridge to see those green grassy hills and the lovely coastline. My dear Nan was Welsh.

Noting the Extra Foods pork sausages! Thank you Returninghome.

Whisker I am totally excited that you have met a Canadian in Mexico too. BC is just totally beautiful, you will love it. My Canadian is a BC (Kelowna) boy too originally. He parents live in Kelowna and we have now visited about 3 times since I've been here. I want to live there eventually. It has the hills I crave, Calgary is too flat for me. I am a true hobbit!
To answer your question about what I miss most: My family and friends.
Clothes aren't expensive.
Marmite is available.
Bring a big pack of Tetley Tea although they sell Tetley Orange Pekoe tea which is virtually the same just a little weaker in my a opinion.
Happy travels! Very exciting for you!!
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Reevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant future

PR is coming ladies! Yay!!! Thanks for reading... x x x x
Old Apr 21st 2013, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

MrsL22 is on a distinguished road

Awww what a lovely story. I also met my Canadian other half when I was least wanting to/expecting to fall in love.

My PR was approved in March. <3

I made a YouTube vid with some of our pics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwvMKTBVbN8
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 4:50 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishBec
Awww what a lovely story. I also met my Canadian other half when I was least wanting to/expecting to fall in love.

My PR was approved in March. <3

I made a YouTube vid with some of our pics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwvMKTBVbN8
Cute vid!

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Great post!
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

The video is soooo cute!!
Old Jul 24th 2013, 12:06 pm
A taffy in Ontario

snuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant future

Cute posts guys

turns out there are many people who move for someone they love

More people are in same situation as myself....
I'm 6 months into the big move to Canada