Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Missed posting here, but hit three years here

Missed posting here, but hit three years here

Old Nov 2nd 2016, 1:42 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Missed posting here, but hit three years here

Three years ago we arrived at YVR on the 5th October. We were tired and nervous that my TWP would work fine and we would get in ok. We ended up with a CBSA agent it seems had gotten out of the wrong side of bed which didn't less our stress levels lol. I started work on Monday 7th and before I knew it I felt like a piece of the furniture at work

Our first rental was a basement suite and it wasn't properly insulated and so cold and noisy, so that lasted about 6 months so. The only good thing was how close it was to commercial drive and work.

We ended up renting a lane way house next and it was a step up form the previous place but got really cold in winter. Again this place was in east van.

We then moved out to Port Moody to a condo and after over a year in a condo we decided we didn't really like condo living. We did like Port Moody though as not to far from Vancouver, craft breweries and I got into trail running and met a great bunch of people and started to train for some ultra marthons, this year I did a 50k and 50 mile race.

We are currently buying a new build house on the Sunshine Coast and as is the norm nothing goes smoothly lol, had some issues with lenders as it is a modular house and some lenders can't grasp the set up, so two lenders have come and gone, completion extended and looks like third lender will come through. However, we gave notice on our rental so had to move out Monday and so currently staying at a friends house for a couple of days we hope.

There have been ups and downs, but we love living here and would never move back to the UK.

I have moved on from my original employer as we got PR in March 2015 so I had the opportunity to weigh up my options and decided a change of scenery was required.

Our pets are both still doing fine and none the worse for being dragged to Canada lol

My partners CFS is better than it was, she won't be able to wowork full time again, but she has started a small business that brings in some money for her and keeps her occupied, she can do it from home and so that works well.

Since moving here my parents have moved out on the supervisa and they like it here too and so next is to get them pr.

Overall life is good and we have no plans to move back to the U.K.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 9:54 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missed posting here, but hit three years here

What a really interesting and inspiring post. Well done! It sounds like you have really made Canada into a success story when even your pets are happy you can't complain!

My son is presently dabbling in these ultra running activities and his greatest dream is to run in The Western States one Hundred....I think you're all mad...but enjoy:

I do hope that your fourth year continues to bring you happiness, and continued success.

Very best of luck!
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 10:17 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent news MikeyPM, I remember when you were in the process of moving out, and am happy this it has worked out for you. Sunshine Coast, eh...that's definitely going local. Is there insurance work out there? Anyway, enjoy.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 1:35 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Excellent news MikeyPM, I remember when you were in the process of moving out, and am happy this it has worked out for you. Sunshine Coast, eh...that's definitely going local. Is there insurance work out there? Anyway, enjoy.
Shard for now I'm commuting downtown as I work on West Georgia so not too bad commute compared to say coming in from Langley,Surrey or Mission. If a job came up on the Coast that covered the bills then I would consider it and it doesn't have to be insurance work 😉
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 2:52 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey! What a commute.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Great post, glad to see things have worked out nicely