Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Happy Canniversary to us.

Happy Canniversary to us.

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 6:39 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Happy Canniversary to us.

Two years today we landed! Here is our story, for those who don't already know it! Those who do, feel free not to bother with it!

Hubby (then 53) and I (43) came for a visit in 2003, stayed a week (snowbound) in May with my friend in Central Alberta and fell in love with the way of life they had here. We discussed on the way back to the airport whether we might like to move here as they had done, and decided to go for it.

Once back in the UK, we informed our astonished children, then aged 12 and 17, and I started researching and applying for accreditation of my qualifications as physiotherapist, as we agreed to apply as skilled workers, with myself as principal applicant. We submitted our application in Dec 03, and received our AOR Feb 04 with a 15 months estimated wait for further contact. This was just after the points dropped so we just got in before the rush!

In 2004 we came over to Calgary with the boys at Easter, stayed in a rental and spent 2 weeks exploring and having as many informal interviews as we could set up with prospective employers. People seemed interested but only to the extent of "let us know when you arrive"

OH kept contact with one company and when we received our visas August 2005, we thought we'd do a landing trip and arrange proper job interviews. Then we decided that hubby and boys should just move over and get work and school started if possible, while I returned to pack and sell up the house, which had been on the market since that spring. We had some buyers who pulled out during that awful period while the family was split, but were replaced by a couple who offered the full asking price and wanted to move in in 2 weeks having sold their own place already. They even bought the car!! I had to pinch myself to believe it was all coming right after seeming to be a disaster! I rejoined the family, mid-October, leaving our solicitor to finalise the sale.

Meanwhile, hubby had a proper interview with Birks Jewellers during his first week here and was taken on at their downtown store. He is now store manager! I had to sit my competency exams here, passed the written one in Jan04, failed the practical in June, but passed it well in November last year. I had a temporary job with Calgary Health Region in Home Care, and am now working in rehab with Carewest. I'd maybe like to go back to homecare, and am continuing to think about a private home visiting practice, but lack confidence to let my guaranteed income drop!

Housing: We took a short term rental in Erin Woods, not an ideal place as it was too near the NE trouble spots, but it was furnished and they allowed our old border collie to come too. Then we took a 7 months lease on a big house in Hawkwood; again, mainly cos they allowed animals, and it was getting towards the area we wanted. When our house sale went through in November we bought our present house in Arbour Lake, and we moved here last summer after it had had a facelift. Since being here we have had the basement professionally developed, and we love it.

Schools: The elder boy had applied for Engineering at UoC before we came, having just sat his A levels in England. They stated he needed some top ups in Physics and Chem, so he spent the first year doing that, then was accepted at Calgary, and is about to start his second year of his engineering degree.

The younger had to attend a junior high school in Erin Woods to start with, then moved after 2 months to the school which served Hawkwood. His time there was not easy really as he hadn't been allowed to start at the beginning of the year there, but he made some friends and they all moved to senior high last year. He's about to start 11th grade.
He says he much prefers the way schooling is done here. We were surprised to find that in senior high they spent the first half of the year (ie first semester) doing just four subjects, then did the other four the second half. I didn't know how it'd work just to do eg maths for half a year and still remember it the next year.

Both the boys love it here, and feel it was the right thing to do .... only criticism was that we'd not come years ago! OH and I have joined clubs and societies, and have busy active lives. I am feeling that we don't really see a lot of friends, and sometimes I feel we have made more commitments than actual social outlets! ... but I do believe friends take time. We feel our work/home life balance is possibly needing some adjustments to make more time for eachother, but it is not impossible, we just need to keep at that one.

It is expensive, living in Calgary ... no two ways about that, but my pay is slightly higher than it was in UK, and hubby is earning quite a bit more, so we do feel we have more disposable income than we had. I think I'd settle for less material goods and more quality time together if we could manage it, but that I feel is part of the adjustment we can make here given time.

I am hoping that at some point, when the boys are a little older, we will sell the house and get somewhere smaller and out of the city a bit...... we'll see.

So that's it, in a rather large nutshell. I just thought I'd share our story for any newcomers (especially) who might like to know how things worked out for us!

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Sep 3rd 2007 at 6:41 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 6:50 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Happy Canniversary to us.

Congratulation on your canniversary - I enjoyed reading your story
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 6:52 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy Canniversary Morwenna!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 6:54 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your story, morwenna.
and:

HAPPY CANNIVERSARY!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

Happy Canniversary to you
Happy Canniversary to you
Happy Canniversary dear Morwenna
Happy Canniversary to you.

I hope you will be having cake and champers to celebrate.

A great post, thank you very much for taking the time to write it.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 7:29 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

A very happy 2nd Canniversary to you and your family Morwenna, and many, many more.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:29 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Congrats Morwenna...............you guys were just behind us, we landed in May of 2005.
Glad things continue to go well for you all.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Canniversary!!
Ten years difference in your ages! Does that mean it's possible to find some young bit of 42?
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:35 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

happy 2nd caniversary Morwenna and family
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:58 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great positive post...just get a little more time together

HAPPY CANNIVERSARY TO ALL THE MORWENNAS
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:06 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Happy Canniversary!!
Ten years difference in your ages! Does that mean it's possible to find some young bit of 42?
I was 17 when we met. My parents were a little ..... alarmed
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I was 17 when we met. My parents were a little ..... alarmed
Could have been worse, you might have been 8 when you met him
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:11 pm
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by Robski

I hope you will be having cake and champers to celebrate.

A great post, thank you very much for taking the time to write it.
We're going out for dinner tonight.......
http://www.parthenonrestaurant.ca/

and thankyou ... and the others.... for reading my post.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:18 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
We're going out for dinner tonight.......
http://www.parthenonrestaurant.ca/

and thankyou ... and the others.... for reading my post.
mmm that looks wonderful, I love greek food, I hope you enjoy yourselves
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

happy canniversary!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.