Half a Century

Old May 14th 2016, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Half a Century

Two weeks ago I filed my 50th Canadian ITR.

I, accompanied by my wife (and she still is), flew on a brand new Boeing 707 into Toronto Malton Airport (now Pearson International) on Sunday May 15th, 1966.

I had a job to come to and my wife was working within 4 days. Things were much different then and finding work was easier.

I enjoyed a good career of 35 years which allowed me to travel quite extensively and do well overall. There were ups and downs naturally including a personal tragedy which left us devastated. We remain that way and always will.

I've visited 74 countries, every state in the US and every Province and Territory in Canada. I've made many good friends and Canada is my home. I have visited the UK many times over the years and not having family there has allowed me to visit every nook and crannie from Lands End to John O'Groats and almost all the offshore islands. I would say I've probably seen more of the UK than most people on here or in the UK. Would I go back? I think not, although it's a fascinating country, historically and landscape wise.

Personal health issues have precluded any more serious travel but that's okay. I've done enough to last a lifetime, lol.
Old May 14th 2016, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Half a Century

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
hahaha..leaving it to the last minute EH!

I filed mine a couple of months ago...but that was for 2014 and 2015 ...

Received notice from Canada Revenue that they owe me money....gotta love Canada...
Old May 14th 2016, 1:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I, accompanied by my wife (and she still is), flew on a brand new Boeing 707 into Toronto Malton Airport (now Pearson International) on Sunday May 15th, 1966.

I had a job to come to...
You wanted away from the world cup that much?

Was this meant for the Canniversary section?
Old May 14th 2016, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You wanted away from the world cup that much?

Was this meant for the Canniversary section?
Not really, love soccer but needs must and, of course, it wasn't on telly here in those days.

It probably should be there so Mods, could you move please.
Old May 14th 2016, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Davita
hahaha..leaving it to the last minute EH!

I filed mine a couple of months ago...but that was for 2014 and 2015 ...

Received notice from Canada Revenue that they owe me money....gotta love Canada...
Unfortunately I always owe money so must file or pay penalties, but won't pay the barstewards until the last minute. As a multi-millionaire client of mine would say "it's a nice problem to have".
Old May 14th 2016, 10:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on both 50 years in Canada and being still married to the same person!

You must have some fantastic memories of all those countries..

Old May 14th 2016, 10:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I've visited 74 countries, every state in the US and every Province and Territory in Canada....
That's fantastic! And the whole 50 year thing too!
Old May 16th 2016, 4:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Oh wow.

There is something rather special about your update , even if you don't realise it.

A life well lived and long may that continue for you both.

Congrats.
Old May 16th 2016, 5:14 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

The whole damn lot is really impressive
That travel history particularly is amazing. Just one brief, kind of associated question... what was your favourite destination?
Old May 16th 2016, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
The whole damn lot is really impressive
That travel history particularly is amazing. Just one brief, kind of associated question... what was your favourite destination?
It's a question asked of me many times over the years and the more I travelled the more difficult answering the question became.
I think of a place and why I enjoyed it so much, then another spot enters my mind and takes over from the previous thought.
I have visited the WWl and WWll battlefields and military cemeteries of Europe a number of times and never failed to be touched by the solemnity there and what those men and women did to ensure we have the lifestyles enjoyed today. I would have willingly given up visiting the other countries provided I was permitted to go there. I choke up even now when I think about it.
Old May 17th 2016, 12:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a question asked of me many times over the years and the more I travelled the more difficult answering the question became.
I think of a place and why I enjoyed it so much, then another spot enters my mind and takes over from the previous thought.
I have visited the WWl and WWll battlefields and military cemeteries of Europe a number of times and never failed to be touched by the solemnity there and what those men and women did to ensure we have the lifestyles enjoyed today. I would have willingly given up visiting the other countries provided I was permitted to go there. I choke up even now when I think about it.
Have you been to Arlington and, if so, did it affect you the same way?
Old May 17th 2016, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I had a job to come to and my wife was working within 4 days. Things were much different then and finding work was easier.

I enjoyed a good career of 35 years which allowed me to travel quite extensively and do well overall. There were ups and downs naturally including a personal tragedy which left us devastated. We remain that way and always will.

I've visited 74 countries, every state in the US and every Province and Territory in Canada. I've made many good friends and Canada is my home. I have visited the UK many times over the years and not having family there has allowed me to visit every nook and crannie from Lands End to John O'Groats and almost all the offshore islands. I would say I've probably seen more of the UK than most people on here or in the UK. Would I go back? I think not, although it's a fascinating country, historically and landscape wise.

Personal health issues have precluded any more serious travel but that's okay. I've done enough to last a lifetime, lol.
I'm jealous of all of the places you have visited (74 countries). I'm only at 17 countries, all provinces, no territories and 35 states.

Regarding the UK, I've lived here in Canada since age 17 and feel since that time I've been to more of the UK than cousins and other close relatives my age who remained in the UK.

Any reason no family left in the UK?
Old May 17th 2016, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
Have you been to Arlington and, if so, did it affect you the same way?
I have been to Arlington twice and yes it did make me think of the military buried there as a result of dying in battle. It's a moving place to me but both times I was disappointed by those visitors with no real understanding of where they were.

Last edited by plasticcanuck; May 17th 2016 at 5:43 pm.
Old May 17th 2016, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I'm jealous of all of the places you have visited (74 countries). I'm only at 17 countries, all provinces, no territories and 35 states.

Regarding the UK, I've lived here in Canada since age 17 and feel since that time I've been to more of the UK than cousins and other close relatives my age who remained in the UK.

Any reason no family left in the UK?
All family has been killed or has died off. I have no siblings. So, when I go to UK I don't need to spend (waste) time visiting relatives. That's not to say I wouldn't like to have some to visit, but it is what it is.
Old May 17th 2016, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Just wow! Love the 707 story as well, never ever got to fly in one of those.

Congrats!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.