Gryphea update!

Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gryphea update!

Hello

Have been offline for ages- but am now sort of back on so can post a brief update!

We arrived Clagary 30th November to the chill and rupert penry jones at the airport. A good start. Sat 1st Ann m's for meet -up! Then on the monday our chores started in earnest. SIN numers at one execcutive place , recommended by Helen (Thank you) as it is not in downtown and therefore less busy , it was brilliant and we hardly queued. The alberta health which was again easy. Moving during the off season is a very good idea to speed up all these chores. Registered for school also etc. Then turned attention to buying cars and all the showrooms got a bit fed up with our kids, whom having been stuck in a 2 bed flat, ran riot and drove everything etc. At the Honda dealer (Crowfoot) , we were talking to slimey salesmen at his desk when the receptionist came over and told us that our children were completely naked under the christmas tree! They had decided to play 'drive to swimming and pretend to swim'. It was perfect timing for us to extricate ourselves!! Generally we found our first week of chores really easy and quick as so few people are migrating around now. Airport was easy etc.

Car insurance took an age, and was quite stressful given our early quotes, but we managed to get it down to $1640 using flemings and co-operaters in Cochrane. This was up to 2 1/2 times less than some quotes, exacerbated by a mini prang of mine 18 months ago.

Shipping should arrive this week as it has cleared customs already.

One son is settling in KG (although this will take a while as he is a bit over-awed with everything!) and I am just getting used to the names over here!!

We are enjoying it although so far it has been a mass panic. Missing some friends from home, but enjoying seeing the mountains and have been skiing already. Hvae skis, ski rack and so am really loking forward to a good season!

Things I have found tricky/annoying so far (and I am just listing these to inform not to winge, some of these I knew about , some I didn't)):
1. car insurance - I did know this would be tricky- just not how tricky and time consuming.
2. driving, especially stops, 4 way stops and doing u turns
3. The over use of food packaging, even when compared to UK.
4. the over use of additives and preservatives in food compared with EU.
5. the lack of californication on the tv in our company flat
6. The over use of the word 'perfect'
7. I had to take my son to the doctor (yes we have one!, well we have one from mid Jan when he arrives, and until then are being seen by same medical centre- so overall the meidical side has gone much better than expected) as he needed a physician's signature on a serious allergy medication form for his school. Although not our family doctor she said she was happy to sign it as it was 'life-saving and essential' . But then this life saving signature cost us $20, not covered on health cards. To be honest the $20 is neither here nor there, but I do find a society that doesn't give free comprehensive health care at point of contact to its children tricky. It doesn't seem very equitable. I did know this before we arrived of course.

Oh started work after a week- going well and I start looking in the new year. Childcare will be very tricky. All the local nurseries have spaces BUT none offer part time (eg 3 full days a week). So I think I will have to find a nanny.

Did manage to get my 3 yr old into a pre-school whoch I was pleased about!

BEst wishes
Gryphea
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gryphea update!

Hi
Gryphea

Great news, I am glad you are settling in well.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely update!

By the way, signatures here are also not usually on the NHS, and can cost upwards of £16.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:51 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Great update, Gryphea.

It was super to meet you, along with everyone else, at ann m's get together.

Welcome back to BE.

Postscript. Loved the account of your kids undressing in the car dealership!

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Dec 18th 2007 at 9:22 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:58 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Gryph wooohooo you're here - hi chick!!!

As you're around and about as a cast off of the LMO thread will have to get together in the new year - I live bout an hour and a half from Calgary so if you wanna say hi and you're getting bored then feel free!!!!