Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Eight Weeks and want to go back to UK

Eight Weeks and want to go back to UK

Old Dec 19th 2012, 5:25 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eight Weeks and want to go back to UK

Originally Posted by shunter1977
Somebody said earlier in the thread that the fast approaching holiday could be a contributing factor. We haven't personally felt any real homesickness as yet and I don't want to go home (i'm thinking eventually it will hit me like a freight train!) but if I let myself think about Xmas too much I feel melancholy and I know our families are all feeling the same back home.

The hardest thing for me from the start of the whole thing was knowing that in order to follow our dreams we were going to hurt everybody in the process and the guilt of that is still with me daily.

I haven't made any friends here as yet except one couple off here we met up with. I find that at the school other parents talk and ask questions but there is a language barrier and they seem to purposely avoid conversation with me after the first time. Either that or it is me feeling like I have nothing to talk to them about and i'm avoiding them - who knows??

Steve comes home from work and tells me all about his day and how he really likes his job and the people he works with - this doesn't help me at all, it just makes me feel more abnormal. The kids and Steve have started making joking comments about how I have nothing to do all day now i'm not at work which hurts because I miss my job a lot and my clients even more (I was a home carer for elderly and disabled).

It annoys me that it takes forever to do the weekly shop as finding things the whole family will eat is time consuming and then I go to the effort of cooking (which I hate) and they all say "don't like that much". Xmas shopping has taken over a month because I don't know exactly where to get stuff from.

I know it seems like there is little point to my post but my thinking is, you could type out on here some specifics with how you're feeling and what you hate the most, getting it off your chest a little bit. So i've started it off with my own feelings x x x
I feel the same in lots of ways.
As I was a very successful primary school teacher in the UK, I am used to being completely immersed in my work, which I am passionate about.

Here it took me 6 months after PR just to get my certification.

Now it is taking me a long time to get a teaching post and very frustrating having to do courses which repeat what I did at O level, just because Canada thinks its teacher education system is better than ours. (It isn't )
In the UK I would just go and work somewhere on Supply and show what I can do. Several times HTs just offered me a job when they saw what I could do with their most difficult classes.
I miss the challenge and the cut and thrust of school life, I miss my children, I miss the energy and fun and intellectual sparring with ten year olds I really feel very emotional when I think about it.
It is very demoralising when you know you have the skills but there seems to be no way to get past the bureaucracy and the closed-mindedness of Canadians.
I do have a job but it is seasonal in nature and this time of year is very quiet, so I am at home most days.

I spend my time making soup and casseroles which go into the freezer, but now that is getting full I am going to be at a loss.

I haven't found Canadians to be friendly in the main. Although I am quite outgoing and friendly, I haven't made friends. I find most of them boring, humourless, lacklustre and false. Their 'politeness' is often a front for just refusing to engage openly with others, especially in anything which might require them to come out of their comfort zone and give their views honestly. Consequently, their conversation is rarely interesting or challenging and mostly trivial and, as they do not have a sense of humour, there isn't much fun to be had with trivia either!
They are MUCH more repressed than the English, whatever the stereotypes about Brits being reserved, and if my OH's Christmas party is anything to go by, they have NO IDEA about letting their hair down and enjoying themselves.
Hockey seems to be the only legitimate outlet for their emotions and I am not interested in that at all.

I am a musician and singer and I miss the Folk scene in the UK so much, especially at this time of year when there would be loads of get-togethers and pub sessions with great beer, good food, friendship, roaring fires and beautiful music, voices, stories and poems in the Derbyshire and S Yorks area. I am reduced to following the fun on Facebook and hearing about all the good nights I am missing

So, just like shunter1977, I have things that I miss very keenly - we all do - and I am quite sure that if I dwelt on what I have left behind, I might want to bolt for it.
That being the case, I choose not to dwell on those things because I find them painful.
Apart from writing the above, that is

If you are going through a bad phase, whether early on or later in the emigration process, then if it helps to put down those thoughts, do so.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you thats very thoughtful

I have briefly looked into these things, I am currently on a visitors visa until Steve passes his exam in January but after that I should be able to get a work permit. I have the option of volunteering at the kids school as I already have my CRB checks from the UK for Caring and Pre School Assistant. However I am avoiding getting involved in the kids school until they have found their feet without me there.

I don't want to work in a home for the elderly as I find them so depressing and elderly people are better in their own surroundings. Also any job I do will have to fit with school times as Steve will be away on the service truck every few weeks.

I am seriously thinking about the respite worker as this could really work for me and would be both rewarding and sociable.

Don't get me wrong though i'm not overly sad about any of it but with regards to the lack of a job i'm losing a little self worth as the weeks go on.
Well there is a difference between a retirement home and a care home.

Admittedly you will always find someone who should be in a care home in a retirement home but for the most part these are fully functioning elders that just want to live in a safer housing where they have easier access to things in life.

I am not sure on this statement 100% but my wife and I do not get taxed on any income we've earnt through St. Amant and not being taxed might mean that it's not counted as a job but i'm not sure maybe someone with more knowledge about your work restrictions can comment on this?

Make a few phone calls see what you can come up with and let me know how you get on

Good luck!
Old Dec 19th 2012, 5:55 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

On the bright side, you have your family though. I went to New Zealand on my own and found it very lonely. Yup, there where people at work you interact with but after work, they had their own lives, families and friends and it took a real effort to get to know them on that level. You just have to keep at it. Some of things that I found that helped were:

Sports - for me it was finding a mountain biking group

Join a gym but not just a gym, join a "boot camp" as it's more personalized

Dance lessons - I suck at dancing but as a guy, there is always more women than men at dance lessons

Cooking classes - Again, I suck at it but you meet people.

Get a dog - when all else fails, your dog is a great listener and will always be there for you
Old Dec 19th 2012, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
I am used to being completely immersed in my work, which I am passionate about.
I could suggest the same to you in regards to foster agencies.

I'm pretty sure they could use volunteer 'private tutors/helpers'. My foster boy has a genetic problem which has left him quite delayed in terms of education (13 with the skill set of a 5 year old). In my opinion he could potentially be relatively normal in terms of education if pushed the right way but unfortunately he has this habbit he has picked up where he manipulates everyone around him (like I said he's smart) to get out of work and even when we warned the school about this trait they still fell into his trap!

What I wouldn't give to have a fully qualified tutor coming around for an hour or so a night to try a push his intelligence up slightly so he can catch up as much as possible, probably wont catch up now as he's already 8 years behind but even if we reduce it slightly it's still positive.

My trouble is I personally don't have the right stuff to motivate him positively because I'm overly hard whereas others are overly soft with him we are trying to find a good balance and he seems to be improving which is nice but it's a slow process!
Old Dec 19th 2012, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

As Hellcat mentioned music!! When I was growing up my brother and I every Xmas bought my Mum the new Abba album and Mum used to sing the songs to me (along with the Carpenters and John Denver) consequently I have a very embarrassing liking for the band and have all their albums myself.

Since about a month before we left when I saw Mamma Mia on the TV I have not been able to listen to any of their songs as the floods start threatening to come

I probably miss my parents, brother and little sister more than anything else x x x
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 1:32 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

The key to happiness in Canada must surely equate to moving to Southern Ontario
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 1:44 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
And why would you say that? Are you so very happy there?
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 1:47 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
And why would you say that? Are you so very happy there?
I'd be happier with a bit more snow but other than that I have zero complaints.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 5:15 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be happier with a bit more snow but other than that I have zero complaints.
Good for you, orly
I hope you get the whites Christmas they have ever had!
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 9:53 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Or, Van Island

Or, don't just dash over as soon as you get your COPR, move over in the spring ... you'll at least have a decent few summer months to enjoy whilst you are settling in. That'll help keep your spirits high.

I simply don't get the people that move over in winter and pretty much complain after a couple of months that the weather is not nice and they want to go back to the UK. Read something like that elsewhere on here a good while back.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 2:03 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by james.mc
Or, Van Island

Or, don't just dash over as soon as you get your COPR, move over in the spring ... you'll at least have a decent few summer months to enjoy whilst you are settling in. That'll help keep your spirits high.

I simply don't get the people that move over in winter and pretty much complain after a couple of months that the weather is not nice and they want to go back to the UK. Read something like that elsewhere on here a good while back.
Winter is depressing in England quite a lot of the time (and this year has been especially bad!), but when you have all your friends around, your social life and your job to keep you busy, the small moans about the weather are trivial.

When you are in a new place after a huge upheaval, with none of the usual things to fill your day, lots of new and unfamiliar things to deal with and none of the familiar comforting things to make you feel better, even the smallest things like the weather can seem important.

I think that some feelings of loss are probably going to get to you sooner or later, though, whatever time of the year you arrive.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Or, Van Island

I don't think the OP is particularly complaining about the weather, just general homesickness.

I certainly have no problem with the weather, i'm still in the "all new, different and exciting" phase. Weather included! The impression I have had from reading on here is the people who have been here a couple of years or more complain about the weather.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Dollydee
Give me a call and we can arrange for you to come over during the festive period, if you would like to. Is the other half away again? You don't need to be on your own. You know I am on the other end of the phone at anytime.

We shall also meet up again after my work in Bower, once I am back to work on 4th Jan.

The processes we have spoken about are on hold over Christmas. Give them a call on the 2nd Jan.

Speak soon

MJ
Old Dec 27th 2012, 8:06 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the OP is particularly complaining about the weather, just general homesickness.

I certainly have no problem with the weather, i'm still in the "all new, different and exciting" phase. Weather included! The impression I have had from reading on here is the people who have been here a couple of years or more complain about the weather.
Maybe I should have put that a little better. I noticed that the OP has moved in winter. I guess I was suggesting that the time of the year anyone moves over can also have an affect on how they feel about life in general.
Any little thing.. such as timing of a move (if job and circumstances allow) can maybe make or break a general feeling of well being.

If you dwell too much on the good things you've left behind you'll likely not notice the good things you came for in the first instance. Canada is the new home The old home is now a place you used to live once
Old Dec 28th 2012, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Maybe I should have put that a little better. I noticed that the OP has moved in winter. I guess I was suggesting that the time of the year anyone moves over can also have an affect on how they feel about life in general.
Any little thing.. such as timing of a move (if job and circumstances allow) can maybe make or break a general feeling of well being.

If you dwell too much on the good things you've left behind you'll likely not notice the good things you came for in the first instance. Canada is the new home The old home is now a place you used to live once

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.