Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Done with Alberta..but where next? Moving Province

Done with Alberta..but where next? Moving Province

Old Nov 15th 2014, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

Gander is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Done with Alberta..but where next? Moving Province

Hi everyone....so we have given Alberta almost 3 years as we know you need to give it at least 2 years before deciding. We know that Alberta was never for us but being a few points short for PR we needed the job offer and Alberta was hiring. So Ontario was our first option having done almost the length and breadth on two visits prior to our PR application and we have also visited BC albeit a short city trip. Our dilemma is that we don't want to give up and head back to UK (well not yet anyway) but know we do not want to endure Alberta for much longer. We also know that no-one else can make the decision for us we have to make this one ourselves but we wondered if anyone else has had this experience and how did it unfold for you....My other half is in construction and we also had our own business in interlock in UK, I am in medical administration (transcriptionist etc)....we would appreciate any advice as I remember someone saying if you don't like a province don't just give up but to try another first..If anyone could share their thoughts it would be great or if you are in the same dilemma too
Old Nov 16th 2014, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Done with Alberta..but where next? Moving Province

Originally Posted by Gander
Hi everyone....so we have given Alberta almost 3 years as we know you need to give it at least 2 years before deciding. We know that Alberta was never for us but being a few points short for PR we needed the job offer and Alberta was hiring. So Ontario was our first option having done almost the length and breadth on two visits prior to our PR application and we have also visited BC albeit a short city trip. Our dilemma is that we don't want to give up and head back to UK (well not yet anyway) but know we do not want to endure Alberta for much longer. We also know that no-one else can make the decision for us we have to make this one ourselves but we wondered if anyone else has had this experience and how did it unfold for you....My other half is in construction and we also had our own business in interlock in UK, I am in medical administration (transcriptionist etc)....we would appreciate any advice as I remember someone saying if you don't like a province don't just give up but to try another first..If anyone could share their thoughts it would be great or if you are in the same dilemma too
I don't know how Alberta compares to Ontario but NS and ON are so very different. You might have a pleasant surprise in another province...
Old Nov 16th 2014, 3:05 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Started off in AB, did some commuting between UK and AB, moved to BC. That was 20 years ago. Not looked back.

Prefer mild temps and rain over many months of sub zero temps and snow.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 7:50 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Been in Alberta 9 years, we are moving to Ontario I the next 5, it would be tomoorow, if we didnt have renos to finish and xars to build and sell.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Try another Province before making that drastic decision to go back to UK, at least until you are PR and have Citizenship!
Old Nov 17th 2014, 2:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Try another Province before making that drastic decision to go back to UK, at least until you are PR and have Citizenship!
We already have PR and yes as mentioned in our post, we want to try another province before heading back to UK. Not so much bothered about gaining the citizenship thing though...
Old Nov 17th 2014, 5:26 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

We already have PR and yes as mentioned in our post, we want to try another province before heading back to UK. Not so much bothered about gaining the citizenship thing though...
But you won't have too long to go before gaining Citizenship will you? The whole thing with Citizenship is that it takes the decision making bit away, you can come and go as your feelings flow and ebb.

My husband has family in Alberta, but I never much fancied living there. What is it about Alberta that you dislike?

Quite a number of posters on here have moved Province and found themselves to be really far happier.....very best of luck
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MillieF
But you won't have too long to go before gaining Citizenship will you? The whole thing with Citizenship is that it takes the decision making bit away, you can come and go as your feelings flow and ebb.

My husband has family in Alberta, but I never much fancied living there. What is it about Alberta that you dislike?

Quite a number of posters on here have moved Province and found themselves to be really far happier.....very best of luck

Thanks for your reply Millie....I suppose in all honesty the winter hangs around for far too long and we enjoy the water...wherever you travel in Alberta you never seem to stumble on any nice small towns its like de'javu everywhere you drive...prairie land after prairie land, cookie cutter after cookie cutter, vinyl siding after vinyl siding... apart from Canmore and Banff and you can't do them every weekend!! Certainly would not buy a place here. It seems to lack soul and as far as housing estates and malls its like groundhog day...you can go to any place to eat food as long as its Boston Pizza, Joey's etc...etc.. I sometimes think people who have had to leave BC for Alberta must be so sad to leave such a beautiful scenic place...we will not give up at the first hurdle...as we knew when we came for our recce we would not be staying here...
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:43 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply Millie....I suppose in all honesty the winter hangs around for far too long and we enjoy the water...wherever you travel in Alberta you never seem to stumble on any nice small towns its like de'javu everywhere you drive...prairie land after prairie land, cookie cutter after cookie cutter, vinyl siding after vinyl siding... apart from Canmore and Banff and you can't do them every weekend!! Certainly would not buy a place here. It seems to lack soul and as far as housing estates and malls its like groundhog day...you can go to any place to eat food as long as its Boston Pizza, Joey's etc...etc.. I sometimes think people who have had to leave BC for Alberta must be so sad to leave such a beautiful scenic place...we will not give up at the first hurdle...as we knew when we came for our recce we would not be staying here...
I could have written that, except for buying a house. It's quite difficult to lose money on a house if your realtor is any good and your buying in a city imo.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 4:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

...you can go to any place to eat food as long as its Boston Pizza, Joey's etc...etc..
Moving to somewhere close to Toronto would fix that. We have access to just about every kind of food, raw or cooked. There is, however, lots of siding.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say, what is it about Alberta that you're not enjoying? Then you answered my question: the long winters, the lack of (salt?) water, the monotony, the lack of culinary sophistication. A lot of Canada is like that, especially once you get outside of the major cities.

Coastal BC may tick all the boxes, especially Vancouver Island (near Victoria), Vancouver, and surprisingly, the Sunshine Coast (Powell River, Gibsons). Even the Kootenay region near the Rockies (Nelson, Kaslo, Rossland) may be worth a visit if you're okay to be on a lake as opposed to the ocean.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 9:30 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

For large expanses of water don't dismiss the great lakes. And the beaches are great!

So here's a vote for the GTA somewhere along the lakeshore (or Barrie if you like a smaller town)
Old Nov 24th 2014, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Ontario (Ancaster/Hamilton) and are pretty happy for now.
When we first dreamed of Canada 20 years ago, it was Calgary we had in mind.

After watching the weather they have over the last couple of years, we're glad we chose Hamilton. Long cold winter up there, compared to our relatively mild winter, lol.

But, if I had a choice of anywhere in Canada, it would probably be Van Island, where we first visited our Aunt many many years ago. And maybe we will move there when we retire.

Hamilton is actually really well situated. Easy access to Toronto and Niagara, close to the border with the USA if you're into that, and not too far away from Cottage country and all the lakes for watersports.

There's also an extremely active car scene, for hot rods, muscle cars and classics, which is what I'm into.

House prices are pretty good too, especially if you don't mid a slightly longer commute.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave

After watching the weather they have over the last couple of years, we're glad we chose Hamilton. Long cold winter up there, compared to our relatively mild winter, lol.

But, if I had a choice of anywhere in Canada, it would probably be Van Island, where we first visited our Aunt many many years ago. And maybe we will move there when we retire.

Hamilton is actually really well situated. Easy access to Toronto and Niagara, close to the border with the USA if you're into that, and not too far away from Cottage country and all the lakes for watersports.

There's also an extremely active car scene, for hot rods, muscle cars and classics, which is what I'm into.

House prices are pretty good too, especially if you don't mid a slightly longer commute.
Hi Dave, was wondering just yesterday how you were doing...now I know
Old Nov 25th 2014, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave

Love hearing that there is a car scene in Ontario

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.