Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Coming up to 2 years in Northern Alberta!

Coming up to 2 years in Northern Alberta!

Old Feb 7th 2016, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

donnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Coming up to 2 years in Northern Alberta!

It's been a while since I have been on here, so I thought I'd do a bit of a run-down on our life...

Arrived in Northern Alberta in April 2014, small town, farming community mostly...but yes, Redneck.
Redneck in the nice Canadian way...most of the local people have been great!
Straight talking, passion for Canada & the Canadian way (hunting 'cos I can'..)
Big trucks (left outside the store, engine running with the keys in!)...& to us unbelievably cheap fuel (60p a litre!!)

SPACE...lots of open space...& blue sky...& you can see the stars...!
Wildlife, I am still in ore at seeing a Bald Eagle, wolves, coyotes, deer, Moose & Brown bears..!

Houses...are either stick build or trailer home.
Stick build in our area are American style pre-fabs/manufactured, trucked in to site & usually with a concrete basement.
Trailer homes are Manufacture/mobile homes (ours is on steel pilings) trucked in to site...each has only a short life span (30-60 years) due to the weather..have seen a few brick built places but these have been civic buildings.

No one warned us about the summers here...they are HOT! yes Canada does 39c sunny and dry.
Last summer we had low rain fall, so our area had a poor harvest, lack of hay/animal feed has been a huge problem (draught) now a late arriving snow and I'm told this is now a second mild winter in a row...the melt-off may not be 'good enough'...sadly lots of animals sent to market due to rising feed costs.

Have found the food to be almost the same, price on the whole is comparable to the UK...but I do miss a strong matured cheddar.

We moved from a rental to our 1st home..so had to move the kids to different schools...they are doing well.
First school was very cliquey (small town, everyone is related!)...new school is more accepting.

Public, Catholic, some French Immersion schools in our area...Home schooling is popular due to the distances involved in getting a 'country kid' to school.

Distance is measured in driving time...ie: we are 6hrs from Edmonton.

There is also number of Hutterite & Mennoite communities near (they have their own school) who tend to keep to themselves unless they need to...have seen a number of ladies selling fresh produce at farmers markets! They are always polite but private.

Sports...Canadians are unbelievably sports crazy...and any sports event is a good reason for BBQ...if in doubt BBQ!

And Man-toys...every guy seems to own an RV, snowmobile, quad bike &big truck.
I still do not understand the RV-ing craze....spend $100,000.00 on a home from home, only to drive half hour from home, to set up everything you have at home, just to then sit & BBQ!!

Ladies here seem to have a collection of patterned Leggings!
Over tight mostly...on rather substantial back-sides

And on the whole...WE ARE LOVING LIFE....

Except for me & the Mosquitoes...
I was bitten...I reacted.
Black fly & 'No see-em's...chewed on my ankles...
& I reacted...heat/burn/swelling...nearly hospitalized

Lesson learned...I will not play baseball unless my jeans are tucked into my socks! Even in 39c.

I hope this doesn't read as too negative..we have had a few up's & down's...nothing major...Have got used to the -37 days....have got used to driving on ice/in snow...have experienced one White-out.

We moved here to build a future we couldn't have in the UK...(house prices)
We now have over 10 acres...a home, hubby has his workshop, eldest daughter is learning to drive (at 14yrs old they can apply for a learners permit!).

Still have a hell of a lot to learn, Tax's being the next headache, but the stress of moving across a Continent has been worth it.

#Mamma Moose in our back garden still amazes me#
Old Feb 7th 2016, 7:24 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming up to 2 years in Northern Alberta!

Nice one! A really interesting read
14 year old drivers....OMG
Glad you seem to be settling well and enjoying life. I'm with you with the wildlife- I never get bored.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

That's an interesting read, thank you for posting it!

I always like hearing about life outside the usual immigrant destinations .
Old Feb 8th 2016, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnydon
It's been a while since I have been on here, so I thought I'd do a bit of a run-down on our life...
Great to read a positive experience
Old Feb 18th 2016, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

6hrs north of Edmonton....

Are you in Peace River or High Level area?

What jobs did you move there for?
Old Feb 18th 2016, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

donnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Haggis88

North of Peace River...Town called Manning.

But due to the down turn here in Alberta, we have just moved nearer to Grande Prairie.
Hubby's job cut his hours so a city gives more opportunity for work...

There is work here but alot of the guys who worked in oil/gas have been laid off, so it's an Employers market!

Have met a few younger guys who earned silly $ on the oil patch, limited 'life experience' with the idea of walking into a'normal' job for big $...

Hubby challenged the Electrician exam and got Interprovincial Journeyman...so we have some choices...!

We liked it in Manning but beggar's can't be choosers...
Grande Prairie comes with its own issues...bu so did manning or even Peace River...but we still view our life here as a vast improvement on the UK.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Arrived in Northern Alberta in April 2014, small town, farming community mostly...but yes, Redneck.
Redneck in the nice Canadian way...most of the local people have been great!
Straight talking, passion for Canada & the Canadian way (hunting 'cos I can'..)
Big trucks (left outside the store, engine running with the keys in!)...& to us unbelievably cheap fuel (60p a litre!!)

SPACE...lots of open space...& blue sky...& you can see the stars...!
Wildlife, I am still in ore at seeing a Bald Eagle, wolves, coyotes, deer, Moose & Brown bears..!

Houses...are either stick build or trailer home.
Stick build in our area are American style pre-fabs/manufactured, trucked in to site & usually with a concrete basement.
Trailer homes are Manufacture/mobile homes (ours is on steel pilings) trucked in to site...each has only a short life span (30-60 years) due to the weather..have seen a few brick built places but these have been civic buildings.

No one warned us about the summers here...they are HOT! yes Canada does 39c sunny and dry.
Last summer we had low rain fall, so our area had a poor harvest, lack of hay/animal feed has been a huge problem (draught) now a late arriving snow and I'm told this is now a second mild winter in a row...the melt-off may not be 'good enough'...sadly lots of animals sent to market due to rising feed costs.

Have found the food to be almost the same, price on the whole is comparable to the UK...but I do miss a strong matured cheddar.

We moved from a rental to our 1st home..so had to move the kids to different schools...they are doing well.
First school was very cliquey (small town, everyone is related!)...new school is more accepting.

Public, Catholic, some French Immersion schools in our area...Home schooling is popular due to the distances involved in getting a 'country kid' to school.

Distance is measured in driving time...ie: we are 6hrs from Edmonton.

There is also number of Hutterite & Mennoite communities near (they have their own school) who tend to keep to themselves unless they need to...have seen a number of ladies selling fresh produce at farmers markets! They are always polite but private.

Sports...Canadians are unbelievably sports crazy...and any sports event is a good reason for BBQ...if in doubt BBQ!

And Man-toys...every guy seems to own an RV, snowmobile, quad bike &big truck.
I still do not understand the RV-ing craze....spend $100,000.00 on a home from home, only to drive half hour from home, to set up everything you have at home, just to then sit & BBQ!!

Ladies here seem to have a collection of patterned Leggings!
Over tight mostly...on rather substantial back-sides

And on the whole...WE ARE LOVING LIFE....

Except for me & the Mosquitoes...
I was bitten...I reacted.
Black fly & 'No see-em's...chewed on my ankles...
& I reacted...heat/burn/swelling...nearly hospitalized

Lesson learned...I will not play baseball unless my jeans are tucked into my socks! Even in 39c.

I hope this doesn't read as too negative..we have had a few up's & down's...nothing major...Have got used to the -37 days....have got used to driving on ice/in snow...have experienced one White-out.

We moved here to build a future we couldn't have in the UK...(house prices)
We now have over 10 acres...a home, hubby has his workshop, eldest daughter is learning to drive (at 14yrs old they can apply for a learners permit!).

Still have a hell of a lot to learn, Tax's being the next headache, but the stress of moving across a Continent has been worth it.

#Mamma Moose in our back garden still amazes me#
Love your update. Love the way you didn't just move to suburbia.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Haggis88

North of Peace River...Town called Manning.
Wow - That is properly north! in my books at least.

Your post was a great read BTW. Reminded me of a book called "A Place Called Winter"
Old Mar 16th 2016, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Been through Manning a couple of times on the drive from GP to Rainbow Lake...not sure I could live there...too isolated for my liking

I like GP though, hopefully he can find some work soon!