Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Canniversary No8 TODAY!!

Canniversary No8 TODAY!!

Old Jun 2nd 2017, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canniversary No8 TODAY!!

Well its that time of year again….for me anyway, today marks my 8th Canniversary.

Quite a few things have changed for me on a personal level since my last Canniversary, unfortunately not for the better. This time last year I felt on top of the world, id met what I thought was a wonderful girl who I could really see a future with, and I thought at last everything is coming together!! Id just returned from a fantastic trip to the UK, got some great friends around me here in Canada, life couldn’t be better.

However it all seemed to start to go wrong at the end of the summer last year, despite what what she had lead me to believe, this girl decided to call things off between us (well actually I had to give her the words as she didn’t have the decency to do so) she said she was afraid of “commitment”, really? at our age? she was older than me! Before this, she had said some very sincere things to me which should have been left unsaid, those three words obviously didn’t mean anything to her, she plainly wasn’t who I thought she was, it left me with rather an a rather nasty taste in my mouth for quite some time.

Then just before Christmas last year, we had layoffs at the company where I work, I just missed the chop, but had a nasty feeling that wouldn’t be the last of it, Just over a month ago we had an announcement that a further 30% of the technology work force would be laid off, so I knew this time I would be one of the casualties. I finished there on Wednesday, so now im looking for a another job, which wont be easy, and wont happen over night. I came to this area specifically for this job, there is very minimal to none alternative local options, I am reluctant to leave the area after all this time as I made a conscious decision to invest in it, I have come to realise what sincere and close friendships I have made here, and to me that is very important, they are my family so to speak.

People say….and I agree to a certain extent, things have a way of working out, just cant see that at the moment, all I can hear is the ticking of the clock. EI only lasts so long and I have bills to pay. I am trying to look forward and somehow come up with a plan, I am keeping all my options open with regards to retraining too, I just don’t know as what, as some options are off the table due to length of time it takes combined with my age.

All I can do is my best and something should show up, I have told a handful of people in the UK about my news, and you would be surprised how many people said, what will you do now then? Return to the UK? ..… Im thinking why?? I don’t know why they would say that for? despite this latest setback I have no plans to return to the UK, Canada is still my home, I enjoy my life here and I hope it continues that way, I just need to be ready for another huge life change, or as Bob Seger would say “Here I am on the road again………….there I go again, turn the page’

Ive had lots of adventure, im not a youngster anymore, now all I want is a content and settled life doing the things I enjoy doing, maybe thats just around the corner. I hope so.

Paul.
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 10:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canniversary No8 TODAY!!

Well that's a bit different to a year ago's post.
Hopefully you can switch it around again for the next one.
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I sympathize. Hubby was terminated without cause 5 weeks ago. We can't survive on my part time job even if the rate is good.

He's looking at all options including our Caribbean stint which we weren't thinking of doing until just before retirement but if needs must...

What's your field of work? Are some of the skills transferable?
Old Jun 4th 2017, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Well that's a bit different to a year ago's post.
Hopefully you can switch it around again for the next one.
I hope so too, thanks Bristol.
Old Jun 4th 2017, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I sympathize. Hubby was terminated without cause 5 weeks ago. We can't survive on my part time job even if the rate is good.

He's looking at all options including our Caribbean stint which we weren't thinking of doing until just before retirement but if needs must...

What's your field of work? Are some of the skills transferable?
Sorry to hear your husband got laid off too, it sounds as thats turned your lives upside down too

Im a engineering draftsman or CAD designer as they seem to call it today, the skills i have are not really transferable to anything else, it would be easier to retrain something different, which i am looking into, as another option.

Most jobs i have applied for are at least a 2 hour drive away, so ill probably look at moving eventually depending on how it works out.
Old Jun 4th 2017, 6:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh. So sorry to hear the news in your update - what a rotten thing to happen (both relationship and jobwise).

I know how hard it is when you get laid off, both from a financial and emotional sense, and can only keep my fingers crossed for you.

Is Whitby too far to travel to? https://ghd.taleo.net/careersection/...ftl?job=227804
Old Jun 4th 2017, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear this, and hope things improve once again.

Forgive my ignorance, but I have heard architects talk about having CAD designers / draughtsmen in their offices ....... is what you do transferable to that kind of work? If so, is there much development / re-development going on in your area?
Old Jun 4th 2017, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Sorry to hear your husband got laid off too, it sounds as thats turned your lives upside down too

Im a engineering draftsman or CAD designer as they seem to call it today, the skills i have are not really transferable to anything else, it would be easier to retrain something different, which i am looking into, as another option.

Most jobs i have applied for are at least a 2 hour drive away, so ill probably look at moving eventually depending on how it works out.
It's a shitty thing to do to somebody. His boss didn't like him and that's why it happened. HR seemed embarrassed but that doesn't do us any good.

We're hoping not to relocate 3 out of 4 sons are no longer with us but in the GTA so we don't want to split the family up. But we're not getting younger so we have to do what's right financially while we still can.
The U.K. is out of the question though. This is home!
Old Jun 5th 2017, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scilly
Sorry to hear this, and hope things improve once again.

Forgive my ignorance, but I have heard architects talk about having CAD designers / draughtsmen in their offices ....... is what you do transferable to that kind of work? If so, is there much development / re-development going on in your area?

Ugh. So sorry to hear the news in your update - what a rotten thing to happen (both relationship and jobwise).

I know how hard it is when you get laid off, both from a financial and emotional sense, and can only keep my fingers crossed for you.

Is Whitby too far to travel to? https://ghd.taleo.net/careersection/...ftl?job=227804

Souxie, Scilly,

Thank you both for your posts, and suggestions, unfortunately i am a mechanical/engineering draughtsman/CAD Designer. I have seen so much work for architectual draughtsman, but not near as many for mechainical engineering and manufacturing.

So i did look into seeing if i could transfer some of my skills to this area of work, it seems that none of my existing skills would be acceptable, i would have to train in civil engineering or architecture to obtain work as a CAD designer in that field. However i have a meeting with the Employment Planning and Counselling on Thursday to discuss possible retraining, so i may be able to find out for sure there.

I have also just got off the phone to a company in Missassauga, i have an interview with them tomorrow, so who knows, good experience whatever happens, i haven't had an interview in well over 7 years and then it was only the two of them.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DandNHill
It's a shitty thing to do to somebody. His boss didn't like him and that's why it happened. HR seemed embarrassed but that doesn't do us any good.

We're hoping not to relocate 3 out of 4 sons are no longer with us but in the GTA so we don't want to split the family up. But we're not getting younger so we have to do what's right financially while we still can.
The U.K. is out of the question though. This is home!
I had a little bit of that with my boss too, however we manged to sort it out in the end, but i missed out on raises and my colleagues noticed he was singling me out, i didnt lose my job though like your husband - (well i have now, but that was all round layoffs not personal)

Im here with you in that UK is not really an option for me, Canada is my home.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I had a little bit of that with my boss too, however we manged to sort it out in the end, but i missed out on raises and my colleagues noticed he was singling me out, i didnt lose my job though like your husband - (well i have now, but that was all round layoffs not personal)

Im here with you in that UK is not really an option for me, Canada is my home.
Well good luck with the interview tomorrow. Just remember not to pick your nose while you're there!

I'll be in the Mississauga area tomorrow. I'll give you a wave!
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:55 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your last 12 months.

I believe it was John Lennon who said "Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans."

You've always been positive about Canada so I'm sure things will bounce your way.

I always use the time of work to do a little more exercise, read a little more and generally appreciate the little things. See it as a transition and try and appreciate the break as before you know it you'll be running the race again.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Really sorry to read about the change in your situation, it sounds like you're having a really rough time. You have been in a tough spot before though and have your friends.

I really hope you get fixed up with work though, I've never had a long period out of work but I can imagine it is very hard, especially with so much other negative things going on in your life. Hopefully you'll get something and it'll take your mind off the relationship and give you somewhere to focus your attention.

Best of luck!
Old Jun 25th 2017, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JamesM
Sorry to hear about your last 12 months.

I believe it was John Lennon who said "Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans."

You've always been positive about Canada so I'm sure things will bounce your way.

I always use the time of work to do a little more exercise, read a little more and generally appreciate the little things. See it as a transition and try and appreciate the break as before you know it you'll be running the race again.
Thanks James, and nice quote from John Lennon, very true! lol

Yes I settled into Canada very well, and have made some great friends many of them being well versed in British humour, so i enjoy all the trappings of Canada, with similar kinds of friendships as I had in the UK, so I dont really want to walk away from that.

Money is a little tight at the moment, i didn't put much away for a rainy day, i was too busy enjoying myself and to be fair my job never looked like i'd lose it. oh well here I am.

Funny you say exercise....im getting lots of that at the moment....im doing some casual work for a friend of mine who builds houses, I thought i was a pretty fit guy going to the gym three times a week.....it appears not....just three days on a building site and now im a wreck!! blisters, bruises walking like a 90 year old! just what you are used to I suppose! Ive had a couple of employment leads, i hope an opportunity comes along soon!
Old Jun 25th 2017, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
Really sorry to read about the change in your situation, it sounds like you're having a really rough time. You have been in a tough spot before though and have your friends.

I really hope you get fixed up with work though, I've never had a long period out of work but I can imagine it is very hard, especially with so much other negative things going on in your life. Hopefully you'll get something and it'll take your mind off the relationship and give you somewhere to focus your attention.

Best of luck!
Thanks Shakyuk, ive been laid off before, but got another job straight away.

With the exception of trying to get a job when i first came to Canada, this is the first period of time i have had without work, its hard going as you lose all structure to your life, im quite big in routine, and now i dont have one. Anyway possible interview next week so as i said to James, hopefully i will turn a corner soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.