Another One-Year Canniversary

Old May 30th 2008, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

SteveC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another One-Year Canniversary

Great post.
Old May 30th 2008, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of

Fantastic post Ann...Thank you!

I hope things work out as you want them to...I hope you acheive everything you want to acheive....but most of all I wish you happiness...Thanks again for a fantastic post.

Julie
Old May 30th 2008, 1:32 pm

LFC1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ann,
Excellent post. I am at present in the predicament of having been given test dates for CPS and a potential (should I be successful) move to Calgary. There isnt a day goes by when I dont question whether I am being irresponsible in my quest to find a better life for my children (I cant see the UK being a very nice place to live in 20 years time) as I am married and have two very young children, and both my wife and I have a close family. It certainly is a quandary, but as someone has already posted on here, more time is lost in indecision, and I believe that if you have an itch then scratch it and see what happens (an adventure is surely better than never knowing).
As Brits we tend to moan a lot about the bad things that happen around us and take for granted the things that dont make a negative impact on our lives. I have lived out of the UK once before for 12 months and can readily identify the homesickness / missing familiar British way of life. I must say however that things are not great in the UK anymore. The public sector is even more overstretched, demoralized and toothless, the police service is changing for the worse (and I dare say your husband's old job is now unrecognisable). I am a Detective Sergeant and would consider myself quite ambitious as a person. I can categorically say that over the past couple of years I have lost all desire to get promoted owing to the mindless bureaucracy and red tape that afflicts each and every serious investigation my team take on. I no longer feel that what I or my colleagues do (all of whom care about their professionalism and standards of work) makes any difference whatsoever. If job satisfaction is what is missing in your husband's life, returning to the UK is not the answer.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post as it tells a truthful perspective and a good insight into the first year in another country. I would love to have a less stressful (even if more boring) work-life, and I envy your views of the Rockies (I dare say that is a wonderful de-stresser!!).
Good luck on your second year and tell your husband to hang on in there, stop searching for the perfect job - something that doesnt exist (my wife informs me that he sounds very much like myself in being a half cup empty kind of person) and enjoy the adventure. Im sure he knows that in any police service he is only a number, and the secret is to work to live, not the other way around.
Good luck

Last edited by LFC1977; May 30th 2008 at 1:34 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Ann,

Only just came across this now but fabulous post. Thanks for sharing.

Eamonn & Janet