Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Another Canniversary - MINE !!!

Another Canniversary - MINE !!!

Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another Canniversary - MINE !!!

I don’t believe it – it is already 12 months since I came to live in Canada ! WOW !

I won’t try to tell you that is has been easy at all – if I did that I would be lying to you, me and the people who still have to make it out here and that would be unfair.

People thought that I would adjust to life out here easily as I had been coming to visit relatives and friends for a number of years. I will admit that there was a distinct advantage with this as I already knew my way around the town and knew where to go for what but it has also been a disadvantage to me. Friends and relatives got into the habit of thinking that I was ok when I truly wasn’t ok – they left me for sometimes weeks without a phone call or visit whilst I was sat at home feeling like Billy No Mates !

I have to say that I feel quite lonely even now – no matter how many friends or family you come out here to join there is still no comparison with the long term friends who you were used to seeing day in day out in the UK. I also feel that I don’t really fit in with some of my friends here in town as my kids are years older than most of theirs and they all seem to have a lot more in common with each other than they do with me – so that sometimes makes me feel alienated.

When we first decided to come out here we wanted the best possible life for our children first and then for Phil and I. We looked for a house to buy and after months of searching the internet we decided that we would be better to buy for the future and not something we could just put up with. So we ended up in a nice area with what I consider to be a nice homely home – a bit on the larger side but something that all four of us were happy with.

I know that some people think that I am a snob for wanting and buying this house but if they ever took the time of day to get to know the true Gaynor then they would know that that is something that i am most definitely not. I may have gotten a good education, have a more than average intelligence and held down good jobs in the UK but I came from a very humble background of unskilled parents who were of average intelligence. I was bought up on a council estate in Manchester and this all makes me the proud person which I have grown into today. I am house proud but I hope that I do make everyone who takes the time to visit me regularly very welcome in my home.

Our kids have settled well – Nathan is happy playing for the more elite soccer team in town and has become the social butterfly of our family, Hannah is taking a little longer to truly settle into life but she is more hung up about what people think about her. As parents we must make sure that our kids are settled but one piece of advice I would give to peeps with teenagers is to be strong with them and try and push them to move out of their own comfort zone as soon as possible after they arrive so that they see and do everything they possibly can.

We have done a fair bit of travel around Alberta in our first 12 months to both new and old places sometimes just going to these places as a family or travelling with Nate’s soccer team for tournaments. We have done the Stampede, CFL games, had skiing lessons, gone over the border, driven through part of BC etc etc so I am very happy with what I have seen and encountered for my first 12 months. We have taken it easy and not gone hell bent of exploring as we all have the same opinion that we have the rest of our lives to explore this beautiful country.

Work wise – Phil came out here on a TWP so he was already employed before he landed and I started to work after a few months here and settling in our house. I am still not 100% into what I am doing but things take time to acclimatise yourself to and Phil has gone through an employer merger and has ended up working for MNP (a larger firm of accountants), taking part in a scheme where he has started to give book keeping lectures to the Blood Tribe members and is making good progress with his job.

We have had both sets of parents out here for a total of 7 weeks within this first 12 months which has been both awesome and challenging to have to live in the same house as our parents for more than a night ! But I have to say that it has been both an eye opener and fun to have them come and see how we all are and finally have a coffee with my mom who i have missed desperately since my arrival.

How will I cope over the next 12 months ? I have no idea really but I will carry on strong as ever taking every day and opportunity which faces me with the same vigour I have done this first 12 months. As long as as a family we remain as happy and content as we are today Canada shall remain our home for the foreseeable future.

It has been a long struggle from start to finish but a well worth struggle. We are better off both financially and emotionally in Canada – have a better quality of life and more family time here.

So all you lovely peeps out there who are on their way or still waiting for that moment when you leave the UK stick with it no matter how hard you think this will be and go grab your new life by the short and curlies !!!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:06 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Canniversary - MINE !!!

Great post Gay ya gret snob

Seem to have packed a lot in the 12 months you've been here. Hopefully one day we'll actually speak in person (hopefully before one or both of us ends up back in the UK).

Keep fighting

Butch
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Superb post. It's important to share the challenges and struggles as much as the joys and successes associated with the move across to Canada. We relate to so much of what you have written.

Main reason for adding to your thread though is to say CONGRATULATIONS on completing your first year. You're a few months ahead of us (October 11th for our Canniversary). We hope the next and subsequent years bring you everything you wish for yourselves.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy

Great post Gay ya gret snob

Seem to have packed a lot in the 12 months you've been here. Hopefully one day we'll actually speak in person (hopefully before one or both of us ends up back in the UK).

Keep fighting

Butch
I wont be going back BC - as they say wild horses couldnt drag me back to the UK

Gay
x
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to behold

Happy Canniversary! Great post.

We are planning a trip down into the US somewhere almost due south of Calgary and then driving west to end up at Seattle before crossing back into Canada (we have to 'land' at some point) and then driving east through BC and back to home. Is this a similar trip to the one you did? If so any recommendations about places to visit?
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Solarfish
Happy Canniversary! Great post.

We are planning a trip down into the US somewhere almost due south of Calgary and then driving west to end up at Seattle before crossing back into Canada (we have to 'land' at some point) and then driving east through BC and back to home. Is this a similar trip to then one you did? If so any recommendations about places to visit?
We have just done a trip to Spokane for a soccer tournament we went from Lethbridge > Fernie > Cranbrook > Sandpoint > Spokane took 7 hours and was a lovely drive.

One suggestion is to go down through the border at Coutts (South Alberta) then down to White Fish and then over the US as you said. White Fish is supposed to be very nice indeed and the US shopping is fabulous haha

Gaynor
x

ps I wasnt driving
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:32 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

awwwwww, phone tag is a bugger. Glad you are back safe, and happy canniversary - hope you have many more too.

Mrs M xx
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:33 am

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow doesnt time fly eh.

So glad you had a nice time in Spokane and got some good shopping in.

Il give you a ring soon enough Gay.

Hope your not to cream crackered x Ali x
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:35 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
We have just done a trip to Spokane for a soccer tournament we went from Lethbridge > Fernie > Cranbrook > Sandpoint > Spokane took 7 hours and was a lovely drive.

One suggestion is to go down through the border at Coutts (South Alberta) then down to White Fish and then over the US as you said. White Fish is supposed to be very nice indeed and the US shopping is fabulous haha

Gaynor
x

ps I wasnt driving
The shopping in SOME of the us is fabulous.
Whitefish is nice, Spokane is nice, Seattle is nice.

We did Idaho (Bonners Ferry), Spokane, Seattle, Crossed back into Canada nr Abbotsford, Kamloops, Golden, Back to calgary via louise and Banff
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

fozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant future

Great post Gaynor,

Happy Canniversary
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:31 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
I don’t believe it – it is already 12 months since I came to live in Canada ! WOW !

I won’t try to tell you that is has been easy at all – if I did that I would be lying to you, me and the people who still have to make it out here and that would be unfair.

People thought that I would adjust to life out here easily as I had been coming to visit relatives and friends for a number of years. I will admit that there was a distinct advantage with this as I already knew my way around the town and knew where to go for what but it has also been a disadvantage to me. Friends and relatives got into the habit of thinking that I was ok when I truly wasn’t ok – they left me for sometimes weeks without a phone call or visit whilst I was sat at home feeling like Billy No Mates !

I have to say that I feel quite lonely even now – no matter how many friends or family you come out here to join there is still no comparison with the long term friends who you were used to seeing day in day out in the UK. I also feel that I don’t really fit in with some of my friends here in town as my kids are years older than most of theirs and they all seem to have a lot more in common with each other than they do with me – so that sometimes makes me feel alienated.

When we first decided to come out here we wanted the best possible life for our children first and then for Phil and I. We looked for a house to buy and after months of searching the internet we decided that we would be better to buy for the future and not something we could just put up with. So we ended up in a nice area with what I consider to be a nice homely home – a bit on the larger side but something that all four of us were happy with.

I know that some people think that I am a snob for wanting and buying this house but if they ever took the time of day to get to know the true Gaynor then they would know that that is something that i am most definitely not. I may have gotten a good education, have a more than average intelligence and held down good jobs in the UK but I came from a very humble background of unskilled parents who were of average intelligence. I was bought up on a council estate in Manchester and this all makes me the proud person which I have grown into today. I am house proud but I hope that I do make everyone who takes the time to visit me regularly very welcome in my home.

Our kids have settled well – Nathan is happy playing for the more elite soccer team in town and has become the social butterfly of our family, Hannah is taking a little longer to truly settle into life but she is more hung up about what people think about her. As parents we must make sure that our kids are settled but one piece of advice I would give to peeps with teenagers is to be strong with them and try and push them to move out of their own comfort zone as soon as possible after they arrive so that they see and do everything they possibly can.

We have done a fair bit of travel around Alberta in our first 12 months to both new and old places sometimes just going to these places as a family or travelling with Nate’s soccer team for tournaments. We have done the Stampede, CFL games, had skiing lessons, gone over the border, driven through part of BC etc etc so I am very happy with what I have seen and encountered for my first 12 months. We have taken it easy and not gone hell bent of exploring as we all have the same opinion that we have the rest of our lives to explore this beautiful country.

Work wise – Phil came out here on a TWP so he was already employed before he landed and I started to work after a few months here and settling in our house. I am still not 100% into what I am doing but things take time to acclimatise yourself to and Phil has gone through an employer merger and has ended up working for MNP (a larger firm of accountants), taking part in a scheme where he has started to give book keeping lectures to the Blood Tribe members and is making good progress with his job.

We have had both sets of parents out here for a total of 7 weeks within this first 12 months which has been both awesome and challenging to have to live in the same house as our parents for more than a night ! But I have to say that it has been both an eye opener and fun to have them come and see how we all are and finally have a coffee with my mom who i have missed desperately since my arrival.

How will I cope over the next 12 months ? I have no idea really but I will carry on strong as ever taking every day and opportunity which faces me with the same vigour I have done this first 12 months. As long as as a family we remain as happy and content as we are today Canada shall remain our home for the foreseeable future.

It has been a long struggle from start to finish but a well worth struggle. We are better off both financially and emotionally in Canada – have a better quality of life and more family time here.

So all you lovely peeps out there who are on their way or still waiting for that moment when you leave the UK stick with it no matter how hard you think this will be and go grab your new life by the short and curlies !!!
Snap.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

Happy Canniversary to youI am grateful that you posted the ups and the downs, it is important to see both sides, no rose tinted glasses for me though!

Glad to hear that you are settling in well and still loving it 12 months down the line.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice

great to hear from you gaynor
glad that you and the family are finally getting there, and good to see you're being positive despite the downtimes
good luck for the future
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Tempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really nice

Happy Canniversary Gaynor!

Your last year has sounded so busy and it was really nice to hear a true account of what your expereinces were... you've made me want it even more now!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Canniversary Gaynor!

Can't believe it will be our Canniversary on the 21st! Doesn't time fly!

Last edited by fuschiagirl; Aug 5th 2008 at 3:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.