Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Anniversary/Canniversary!!

Anniversary/Canniversary!!

Old Sep 29th 2006, 5:15 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anniversary/Canniversary!!

21 years of being married yesterday
1 year in Canada today :scared:

Can't say too much about the first one..........hubby may read this!! As for the 'Canniversary' its been interesting, lots of ups & downs........personally I don't know if I'd do it again but the kids (teenagers) are having a good time & it has definately been a good move for them. The 2 of us have struggled with our decision at times but now 1 year on things seem to be settling down.
I don't have a close family so thought I wouldn't go through the 'missing people' stuff as much as others but I would say thats been the worst thing for me
On a positive note we both have decent jobs,(although I'm only a sub at the mo) Vancouver mainland, Victoria & Mt Washington are all about 90 mins away & I'm sat on my deck writing this whilst looking at Mt Benson which is practically at the bottom of my garden. For me, I think it will take a good 2 years to decide where 'home' is..........just MHO
Old Sep 29th 2006, 5:47 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anniversary/Canniversary!!

Congratulations!

I think I probably have the same ambivalence as you do. I even found myself thinking of what it might be like to return to the UK today. Not that I am actually contemplating it as a possibility, it just popped into my head.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananahammock
21 years of being married yesterday
1 year in Canada today :scared:

Can't say too much about the first one..........hubby may read this!! As for the 'Canniversary' its been interesting, lots of ups & downs........personally I don't know if I'd do it again but the kids (teenagers) are having a good time & it has definately been a good move for them. The 2 of us have struggled with our decision at times but now 1 year on things seem to be settling down.
I don't have a close family so thought I wouldn't go through the 'missing people' stuff as much as others but I would say thats been the worst thing for me
On a positive note we both have decent jobs,(although I'm only a sub at the mo) Vancouver mainland, Victoria & Mt Washington are all about 90 mins away & I'm sat on my deck writing this whilst looking at Mt Benson which is practically at the bottom of my garden. For me, I think it will take a good 2 years to decide where 'home' is..........just MHO
Congratulations on your wedding aniversary and also on your one year in Canada.You done the right thing so give it plenty of time and you wont regret it.Vancouver Island is a beautiful Island and so is the city of Victoria and Vancouver.We used to stay in Richmond RV park and have toured all over BC.What part of Brissle bist thee from? I am from Redcliffe Hill and My wife is from Fishponds.We used to live in Cleeve on the main Bristol to WSM road but have been in the USA for the last 34 years and have never regretted moving here.We have seven kids all grown up now and they also love it here.Regards Brian.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 8:50 pm
Bristolish expat

bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arizona Wurzel
Congratulations on your wedding aniversary and also on your one year in Canada.You done the right thing so give it plenty of time and you wont regret it.Vancouver Island is a beautiful Island and so is the city of Victoria and Vancouver.We used to stay in Richmond RV park and have toured all over BC.What part of Brissle bist thee from? I am from Redcliffe Hill and My wife is from Fishponds.We used to live in Cleeve on the main Bristol to WSM road but have been in the USA for the last 34 years and have never regretted moving here.We have seven kids all grown up now and they also love it here.Regards Brian.

Hello Brian, ow bist?
Blimey!! small world eh?
I'm from Bedminster down but have lived in Eastville, close to the bottom of Fishponds rd for the last 20 years (bloody hell, where did that time go) so we were practically neighbours once
Its good to hear that your kids love it there, I worry about that
Old Sep 29th 2006, 8:52 pm
Bristolish expat

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Congratulations!

I think I probably have the same ambivalence as you do. I even found myself thinking of what it might be like to return to the UK today. Not that I am actually contemplating it as a possibility, it just popped into my head.
Hi Morwenna
Hubby wants to go back for a holiday next year but I'm worried that I wont want to come back here (god, I sound like a miserable beggar don't I? )
Old Sep 30th 2006, 1:41 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations on both counts.

I can relate to what you've said. I'm not very close to my family either (in fact they irritate the crap out of me) but I have still missed them in a weird probably psychologically unhealthy way.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 1:46 am
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations 21 years married, thats certainly something to celebrate these days.

Well done.

Raine
Old Sep 30th 2006, 7:04 am
Bristolish expat

Originally Posted by raine66
Congratulations 21 years married, thats certainly something to celebrate these days.

Well done.

Raine
Mmmmmm...................longer than you get for murder
Old Sep 30th 2006, 7:08 am
Bristolish expat

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Congratulations on both counts.

I can relate to what you've said. I'm not very close to my family either (in fact they irritate the crap out of me) but I have still missed them in a weird probably psychologically unhealthy way.
Ditto
I think its because before I left I could make the decision to see/ignore/argue/laugh bla bla........wheras now I can't see them even if I wanted to