Almost 5 months

Old Nov 15th 2009, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Almost 5 months

Hi or is it hey everyone now.
Its nearly 5 months since I arrived with my son to join my husband.
They both absolutely love it here. My son is very shy and not a particularly good mixer but he has a job where he has met some lovely people and he has fit in so well. He even went tp a halloween party on the college campus!
My husband has loved it here from day 1. The only drawback at first was that he was on his own.
I have found it harder cos I cant get a job, didnt have a car to get about and felt a bit lonely. The friends I have made are from BE.
Things are better. We have just bought our first "home" here. It is really nice and OMG so uplifting. I have never rented before and it has never felt like home for me, just a "shell" that we lived in. Its nice to have a bit of a plan at last and something very concrete to look forward to.
I still have difficult days. I miss my son and grandson so much that sometimes it hurts. I see them on skype a lot and get photos etc. He is close to my mum and sister and that helps me.
As for the job front, bloody hell!!! Why do interviewers tell you you are the best qualified and feel you would really fit in, your references and experience are fantastic and then not bother to call to tell you no. Cant really get my head around that one lol.
Maybe I should just open a CHIPPY eh?
Anyway, I am going shopping in a bit to get some stuff for my new house. Anything to get away from MW2 on both XBOX and PS3 - They are obsessed!!!
I know it is a struggle and not everyone settles straight away but it really does take time and you do have to hang in there.
Tina
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:30 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost 5 months

Originally Posted by albertabound
As for the job front, bloody hell!!! Why do interviewers tell you you are the best qualified and feel you would really fit in, your references and experience are fantastic and then not bother to call to tell you no. Cant really get my head around that one lol.

.....This is actually a very common and well known medical condition in this part of the world - symptoms can include an acute need to be liked, the total inability to look someone in the eye while telling them what you're really thinking and a chronic fear of appearing rude.

Medical journals and periodicals will often refer to people suffering from this affliction as lyin', c**k suckin' Canadian wankers.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi or is it hey everyone now.
Its nearly 5 months since I arrived with my son to join my husband.
They both absolutely love it here. My son is very shy and not a particularly good mixer but he has a job where he has met some lovely people and he has fit in so well. He even went tp a halloween party on the college campus!
My husband has loved it here from day 1. The only drawback at first was that he was on his own.
I have found it harder cos I cant get a job, didnt have a car to get about and felt a bit lonely. The friends I have made are from BE.
Things are better. We have just bought our first "home" here. It is really nice and OMG so uplifting. I have never rented before and it has never felt like home for me, just a "shell" that we lived in. Its nice to have a bit of a plan at last and something very concrete to look forward to.
I still have difficult days. I miss my son and grandson so much that sometimes it hurts. I see them on skype a lot and get photos etc. He is close to my mum and sister and that helps me.
Maybe I should just open a CHIPPY eh?
Anyway, I am going shopping in a bit to get some stuff for my new house. Anything to get away from MW2 on both XBOX and PS3 - They are obsessed!!!
I know it is a struggle and not everyone settles straight away but it really does take time and you do have to hang in there.
Tina
Hope you get a job soon Tina,
Funny isn't it we are advised not to buy a home until we know we can make a go of it there yet its the main se-telling thing for the whole family ?
I don't think i will feel at home in someone else house ?
Chippy might not be a bad idea esp for all the BE friends
Enjoy your shopping
Old Nov 17th 2009, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.
Yeah, I know we havent been here that long but as you said CP, I think having your own home or 1 you are comfortable with is so important.
We had decided within the first week that we would stay in Red Deer even though my husband has a 50 minute commute each way.
This rental has "done the job" but is quite bare. We cant put pictures up on the walls etc.
Because we had our container ransacked, various item did not arrive or were broken so I have not really got as many of my own familiar things as I should have.
I have not bought anything furniture wise because I didnt know what sort of house we would buy so didnt really know what we would need. We have "made do"
Anyway I need a few things for the new house and it just feels nice. We are furnishing our own home.
I know I am extremely lucky to be here and my husband has a good job so we are not struggling moneywise. Its just that I have always worked. It is so alien to me to just cook, wash and clean. Its bloody boring ha ha
The job will come eventually, I am trying not to dwell or be negative even though my confidence has taken quite a bashing.
I was senior management in the UK and here I couldnt even get entry level at Toys R Us
Good luck to all fellow job hunters and new or newish arrivals. It has taken me a while to see the funny side of things here
Tina
Old Nov 17th 2009, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Canada- I have 25+ years banking experience- can only get as far a sales job-no manager jobs for me! As for hubby-don;t even go there!!

Good Luck though!

Thanks for the replies.
Yeah, I know we havent been here that long but as you said CP, I think having your own home or 1 you are comfortable with is so important.
We had decided within the first week that we would stay in Red Deer even though my husband has a 50 minute commute each way.
This rental has "done the job" but is quite bare. We cant put pictures up on the walls etc.
Because we had our container ransacked, various item did not arrive or were broken so I have not really got as many of my own familiar things as I should have.
I have not bought anything furniture wise because I didnt know what sort of house we would buy so didnt really know what we would need. We have "made do"
Anyway I need a few things for the new house and it just feels nice. We are furnishing our own home.
I know I am extremely lucky to be here and my husband has a good job so we are not struggling moneywise. Its just that I have always worked. It is so alien to me to just cook, wash and clean. Its bloody boring ha ha
The job will come eventually, I am trying not to dwell or be negative even though my confidence has taken quite a bashing.
I was senior management in the UK and here I couldnt even get entry level at Toys R Us
Good luck to all fellow job hunters and new or newish arrivals. It has taken me a while to see the funny side of things here
Tina
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Anything to get away from MW2 on both XBOX and PS3 - They are obsessed!!!
I hear ya

It is so alien to me to just cook, wash and clean. Its bloody boring ha ha
And I hear you again! Housework, yup - I broke it up last year with some hobby studying!

And I know what you mean about confidence taking a bashing. 95% of the time I am fine and know I am a capable, employable person - and the other 5% I just want to curl up and never bother again.

It'll happen eventually - hopefully soon for both of us.

Best wishes for the future - you had a rude arrival with that container business - it's all up from here
Old Nov 18th 2009, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Shelley and Ann,
Yes I do believe the job will come eventually. I am even looking forward to a less stressful job. I was tied to a mobile phone 24/7 in the UK.
I had to be on call at christmas and weekends.
I put the phone in the drawer here 3 days after I arrived. I have not switched it on since - Ah freedom:thumbsup
Good luck to you both
Tina
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:08 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I hear ya

And I hear you again! Housework, yup - I broke it up last year with some hobby studying!

And I know what you mean about confidence taking a bashing. 95% of the time I am fine and know I am a capable, employable person - and the other 5% I just want to curl up and never bother again.

It'll happen eventually - hopefully soon for both of us.

Best wishes for the future - you had a rude arrival with that container business - it's all up from here
hmm I am the other way round Ann - 5% good 95 % down
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:54 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

When does the chippy open???? All my shifts changed again this week - how are you for a coffee on Friday? I finish work at 1:30, I can come and collect you if you not near the mall anymore
Old Nov 18th 2009, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future

Because we had our container ransacked
How did that happen?? Who did you ship with?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
hmm I am the other way round Ann - 5% good 95 % down
Carrie, I have read how you feel and am so sorry. You were getting ready to come to Canada just as I joined the forum and you were so positive. I hope whatever happens now, it gives you the break you deserve.
Tina
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
When does the chippy open???? All my shifts changed again this week - how are you for a coffee on Friday? I finish work at 1:30, I can come and collect you if you not near the mall anymore
Hiya Pif,
Ive not moved yet!! I can meet you Friday no probs. The usual??
D'you know, the more I think about it the more I think Red Deer needs a chippy.
Pity Ive just spent all our money ha ha.
See you Friday 1.30 ish...
Tina
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by elizabeth_action
How did that happen?? Who did you ship with?
Hi
We shipped with Whites. The container arrived on the East coast and somewhere between Montreal and Calgary it was broken into. We had plenty of stuff stolen but the worst things were just the careless destruction.
We dont know whose fault it was. We were very unlucky as it is apparently very rare.
The police said it was "probably first nations" when the container was on a train and stopped.
Tina
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future

Hi
We shipped with Whites. The container arrived on the East coast and somewhere between Montreal and Calgary it was broken into. We had plenty of stuff stolen but the worst things were just the careless destruction.
We dont know whose fault it was. We were very unlucky as it is apparently very rare.
The police said it was "probably first nations" when the container was on a train and stopped.
Tina
I hope the family photos survived
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by elizabeth_action
I hope the family photos survived
No they didnt. We did manage to retrieve a few more recent ones but my childrens' baby photos are all gone. Luckily my mum and sister have some and we are getting copies done, framed etc.
This was by far the worst thing and then the shitty insurance company trying to swindle us with stupid settlement values. We are still awaiting insurance cheque!!!
Tina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.