Reload this Page >

8 Weeks in Cambridge, Ontario

8 Weeks in Cambridge, Ontario

Old Oct 7th 2010, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

mek14 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 8 Weeks in Cambridge, Ontario

Originally Posted by Karen1203
Hello! I didn't realise there was so many Cambridge folks around here If you are still looking for a Health Centre, we use Langs Farm - they have an excellent set-up and employ at least one practice nurse (the one I've seen there is actually originally from the UK!)
http://www.langs.org/chc.php
I just live by Langs Farm, on Newport!!

mrsr0binson - for sure we should all meet up for coffee - i think its awesome there are so many of us in Cambridge
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Aange is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Karen1203, it's good to know there is some possibility that I might be able to get a practice nurse job if all goes well.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aange
Thanks Karen1203, it's good to know there is some possibility that I might be able to get a practice nurse job if all goes well.
Good luck with the whole process - let us know how it goes!
Old Oct 8th 2010, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mek14
I just live by Langs Farm, on Newport!!

mrsr0binson - for sure we should all meet up for coffee - i think its awesome there are so many of us in Cambridge
I would really love to meet up with some fellow ex-pats ... I miss english humour - even my husband is Canadian ;-)
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Karen1203
I would really love to meet up with some fellow ex-pats ... I miss english humour - even my husband is Canadian ;-)
Karen1203, Mrs R0binson and Deenalz pm me your email address and when Deenailz comes back from her visit back home we can all try to get together for a coffee!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Congratulations! Hope things continue to go smoothly for you.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

ukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really nice

Congrats. and wish you all the best, i was thinking about doing the same move but scared incase things go wrong!.
hope you have a good xmas and best of luck for the future.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

DanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond repute

We're moving from the UK to Cambridge in the new year as some of my wife's family live there.

I wanted to ask what the travel links are like, is commuting to work by public transprot possible (to Kitchner/Waterloo or even Toronto).
Or how about the nearby shopping malls?
Old Dec 9th 2010, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

mrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to all

Hi there -

We have lived in Hespeler, Cambridge, for 6 months now. To be honest we tend to drive everywhere. There are bus links to Waterloo\Kitchener but it depends where you live, as to whether you will be able to get a direct bus. From here we have to change once. They do seem to be pretty reliable on the whole though, but with a bus change it can be a bit lengthy. My husband commutes (drives) to Guelph for work and it takes him about 15-20 minutes in the car. Waterloo and Kitchener are easy to get to and are on a main route from here; it probably takes about 25-35 minutes in the heavier rush hour traffic.

We have the Cambridge mall for shopping which is pretty good. It's not huge, but it has everything you need and the Hespeler road (which the mall is located on) has lots of shops of all types. We also tend hop to Fairview in Kitchener, and again it has everything you need, plus some extras, like Toys R Us and there is a Costco near there to etc. You will find that shopping is a completely different experience from what you are used to doing in the UK. You will probably shop around for things more over here. Different shops have different offers on each week - you can save lots of money if you shop smart. As with most things you can do a 'one stop shop' but convenience cost! You can get everything you want in Walmart or Zehrs, but you will spend a lot more money doing it.

We all love living here. We are lucky to have some beautiful places right on our doorstep; with the convenience of having shops and eateries at hand as well.

What part of Cambridge are you thinking of moving to? Anyway, good luck with your move; time will fly by...
Old Dec 9th 2010, 5:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsr0binson
It's not huge, but it has everything you need and the Hespeler road (which the mall is located on) has lots of shops of all types.
My experience of shopping in Cambridge is limited to a fish shop on an industrial estate, the Hespeler road, and the something mill; a sewing shop on the "river". I have to think that none of these places are sensibly accessible without a car. Hespeler Rd is classic big box store land, just crossing the Home Depot car park is a long walk, especially in winter, and next to it is the car park for the next mega-store. I guess Cambridge is a bit more than two hours from Toronto by bus so commuting there by transit would be infeasible unless you lived and worked in the bus garages.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice

Just going back to the vacation time posts. There are quite a few companies that start you off on three weeks. My first company I worked with was three weeks and 3 days float on top. I have secured a new job which is also three weeks. If you want to compare different companies benefits package including vacation, Eluta is really good for that. It does not have all the companies but all the top employers via different areas in Canada.

http://www.canadastop100.com/waterloo/