Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

8 Weeks in Cambridge, Ontario

8 Weeks in Cambridge, Ontario

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8 Weeks in Cambridge, Ontario

Glad you're enjoying your time in Canada, there's been a few posts lately with people being unhappy during the first couple of months so it's nice to see a positive one!

Good luck on your future
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:53 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moley39
Hi on Friday May 14th will be our 8 week anniversary! Stayed with my uncle for 6 weeks, rented gorgeous farmhouse, and lovinit!
It's been hard, as our settlement funds went really quickly, but luckily I got a job within 4 weeks, and hubby 6!

I still wouldn't return to uk, though, despite the rough times, as life here is good, and there are many opportunities.

;-) xxxx

Are you missing Tesco in Larkfield yet

Good to hear you are enjoying it here.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Aange is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrsr0binson
Installation men that work till late at night, that AMAZING that would never happen here

We are renting a house in Hespelar, just off of Townline Road. When we did our reccy earlier this year, we loved that area, so we were so lucky that a suitable place became available there. The kids will be going to Woodland Park Public School, which is about a 5 minute walk from our house - it will be so nice not to have to drive them everywhere. We also loved Guelph, but sadly it was a little too expensive for us. You seemed to get so much less for your money there. So we now have the best of both worlds; a lovely house and we are less then 10 minutes from Guelph.

Did you ship your possessions over or have you started again? We are living in a sea of cardboard at the moment; it not great, but to be honest we worked it out that it would have cost us at least a kidney to re-buy everything

Oh my goodness, I have so many questions for you.... You may regret offering to help... ,
HI there,

My family & I are hoping to move to K-W area from UK, and have looked at Cambridge also. I have heard that Annual Leave in Canada is generally 2 weeks, can you help me with this? If this is true, Canada must have some very good attractions for people to give up substantial holiday. Thank you for any information.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

mrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Aange
HI there,

My family & I are hoping to move to K-W area from UK, and have looked at Cambridge also. I have heard that Annual Leave in Canada is generally 2 weeks, can you help me with this? If this is true, Canada must have some very good attractions for people to give up substantial holiday. Thank you for any information.
Hi - I have PM'd you..
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:46 pm
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

hi my hubby gets 2 wks .. as do most peeps over here , yes its crap but we knew it before we came over & they do have a lot of long weekends
i love it in cambridge (well technically we are north galt ), its not perfect but it has a lot of choice for things to do esp for kids and theres a good range of housing to suit anyones budget .. if you want a huge ranch on acres ya can have it but if you want a townhouse you can do that too
good luck hope this helps x
Old Sep 13th 2010, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for info.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Old Sep 16th 2010, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

mek14 is on a distinguished road

I immigrated in 2005, and have been in Cambridge since Sep 2006!! Im in the Preston area, just off Eagle Road.

hope you're settling in ok. If you have any questions, just ask!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi Melk

Thank u for your reply, but we haven't emmigrated yet, we're just at the start of the visa process. 8 weeks in Cambridge was the thread I replied to.
How are you finding it over there, I'm I little worried about the annual leave but others who have relocated must find it is worth while? Are you working? I have loads of questions but will leave it there for now.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Honestly, i do find the annual leave very hard. The problem with it is that i use my annual leave to either entertain family who have came over from UK to visit us, or for us to go back home to visit them - and in my eyes, neither of these is really a vacation. So since coming to Canada 5 years ago, my husband, son and i have had one "real" vacation which did not involve family - and that was this year!
If we didnt have the family divide going on, i think the annual leave is pretty decent, what with all the long weekends etc. So i guess it depends on how often you plan on going back to UK or how often people will visit you here.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

How are you finding the schooling in Cambridge? Is your son in primary or secondary school. My sons are 15years & 5 years old, so we would need both. Please let me know a bit more about the Cambridge area.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

tioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nice

I have heard that Annual Leave in Canada is generally 2 weeks, can you help me with this?
I work in the University of Guelph and get three weeks, plus two days "discretionary leave" (this is basically another two days vacation). I consider myself lucky
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

mrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to all

How are you finding the schooling in Cambridge? Is your son in primary or secondary school. My sons are 15years & 5 years old, so we would need both. Please let me know a bit more about the Cambridge area.
Schooling is pretty good; and much more relaxed - mine love it here. They are both more advanced than the other children their age; which helps boost their confidence. The only difference is that they learn French from year 1 in their school - so my daughter (10yrs old) is slowly catching up with the other kids - but still loves it.

They attend a public school; but many of our friend's kids attend the local Catholic school - and they are both equally good. You can always have a look at the Fraser Institute website for an idea of performance etc....
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

My son isn't actually in school yet, but will go when he is 3/4. My babysitter's kids go to Coronation Public School in the Preston are of Cambridge, and she speaks highly of the school, and says that really it comes down to the performance of individual teachers as opposed to the school as a whole - so really its not so much what school is best, but what schools have the best teachers.
I do not know personally though, so maybe others on here who have kids of school age can better comment.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:37 pm
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

we live near coronation / preston and its nice my son loves his school , its got classes of 20 , lmao which seems tiny compared to bk in uk !!
my little one just started jk and shes 4 she loved it and was gutted she didnt go today coz she was poorly , lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.