Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

7 years last week! I missed it!

7 years last week! I missed it!

Old Jun 7th 2016, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default 7 years last week! I missed it!

Well my 7th Canniversary came and went last week and I hardly noticed it! That to me seems to suggest I don’t see living here as an anniversary event anymore?

I don’t get home sick anymore (except for when I feel a bit down about something) which never lasts. I definitely see Canada as home now.

I did go back for a visit to the UK in April, it was a great trip, better than my previous ones, I initially decided to go for two reasons, my two young nephews are growing up fast and having no kids of my own, I don’t want to miss out on them growing up! The other reason was to see my all time favourite band live in concert – Electric Light Orchestra who are touring the UK, its been a dream of mine to always see them live, my sister likes them too, so we went to see them at the O2 in London and it also acted as a great evening to catch up and spend quality time with just my sis.

During my visit, I also spent some fantastic quality time with my nephews, and formed a sincere bond with them, think I made quite the impression on my eldest nephew (according to my sister) which I was very pleased about. As for the and the concert….well it was just perfect, my sister is still talking about it! Cant believe Jeff Lynne is 68 and his voice is still spot on! A truly memorable evening for my sis and I.

I caught up with lots of friends and other family members too, ate lots of fish, chips, Indian curries, scratchings and dranks lots of wonderful English cask ale! Very enjoyable! Although it wasn’t a holiday by any means, I literally didn’t have a minute to breathe!! I defy anyone to fit as much into 10 days as I did there! I returned to Canada bankrupt, fat and exhausted! LOL! But with some great memories.

I think it reinforced my feeling of where I belong, although I miss friends and family over there, I have made some very sincere friends here in Canada, and some of them doubling up acting like family to me, which gives me a strong sense of belonging. This is going to be a strange thing to say, but I actually felt like a visitor over there this time, weird after spending 38 years of my life there, but it’s the way I feel, I found everyone had their own lives there, and I was just a visitor.

In the past I have been very disappointed that no family and only two friends have visited me here in 7 years, but after my latest UK visit I think I have finally accepted that, I still feel it would be nice for them to visit, but I seemed to have detached myself from it, if it happens it happens, and it doesn’t really bother me now. I have a happy life here. I think what adds to that, is that I have recently started seeing a wonderful girl, we have only been seeing each other for a couple of months but I really like her and I hope it continues.

Well that’s my Caniversary for this year that i missed! Heres to the next!

Cheers,

Paul.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 years last week! I missed it!

Nice to see such a positive post from you! Glad things are looking up and sounds like the UK trip gave you some validation, rather than making you regret the move. I assume you are still in Peterborough? I know you were considering moving elsewhere.
Are you making it to the Toronto meet up tomorrow?
Old Jun 9th 2016, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
Nice to see such a positive post from you! Glad things are looking up and sounds like the UK trip gave you some validation, rather than making you regret the move. I assume you are still in Peterborough? I know you were considering moving elsewhere.
Are you making it to the Toronto meet up tomorrow?
Thanks Twitcher! yes i didnt feel homesick during or after my visit at all, certainly dont regret the move, it was something that was meant to be i think.

Yes im still in Peterborough, this is where i will stay now, provided i keep my job, if the unthinkable happened and i lost my job, i would have sell up and move, hope it never comes to that.

Unfortunately i wont be able to make the meet up AGAIN! this weekend is the draughters union convention at a hotel resort on Stoney Lake, all paid for by the union....plus unlimited booze! its always a good knees up.

Hope you guys have a good one in TO.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 5:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
...i wont be able to make the meet up AGAIN! this weekend is the draughters union convention...unlimited booze! its always a good knees up...
So you recovered from April's excesses then.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So you recovered from April's excesses then.
Well...i think so...lol! I was quite well behaved this weekend at my convention....even woith all that free booze!! .....surprising was a nice lady in you life can do for you!

Hope Friday night was a good night for everyone.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 9:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well...i think so...lol! I was quite well behaved this weekend at my convention....even woith all that free booze!! .....surprising was a nice lady in you life can do for you!

Hope Friday night was a good night for everyone.
Hey Paul I can't believe I missed the bit about the girl when I originally read your opening post. Hope it works out for you.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Great read, it was nice to read something so positive
Old Jun 18th 2016, 6:30 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

ah, great to read such good news. "They" say that you know after three dates if she's the one. So it sounds that way!
Old Jun 20th 2016, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jersey Girl, Shakyuk, and Bats,

Thank you very much for your well wishes....its going well, i hope it continues to do so.

So third date and you know eh Bats?

Well in 7 years she is the only one to show any remote potential for the long term, and doesnt show any of the traits of many Peterborough dates ive had in the past, so thats a great start for me!

Cheers!
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 1:13 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

In the following...

Well my 7th Canniversary came and went last week and I hardly noticed it! That to me seems to suggest I don’t see living here as an anniversary event anymore?

I think it reinforced my feeling of where I belong, although I miss friends and family over there, I have made some very sincere friends here in Canada, and some of them doubling up acting like family to me, which gives me a strong sense of belonging.
congrats on reaching your 7th Canniversary and may your life in Canada continue to be happy & fruitful

This is going to be a strange thing to say, but I actually felt like a visitor over there this time, weird after spending 38 years of my life there, but it’s the way I feel, I found everyone had their own lives there, and I was just a visitor.
As an old dog that has been here forever, I can relate to that last part of your OP. It just gets easier & easier to lose the connection, especially when people, places & things either move on, change so much or folks die.

After nearly 50 years in Canada, for the most part life here is good for now.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by not2old
In the following...

congrats on reaching your 7th Canniversary and may your life in Canada continue to be happy & fruitful

As an old dog that has been here forever, I can relate to that last part of your OP. It just gets easier & easier to lose the connection, especially when people, places & things either move on, change so much or folks die.

After nearly 50 years in Canada, for the most part life here is good for now.

Thankyou for your well wishes.

I think after the first few years after leaving the UK, people there realise that things have worked out, and your not planning to come back, so move on with there lives, that in turn rubber stamps your new life and position in Canada, at this stage your old life in the UK has officially come to an end, and even if you moved back, things would never be the same, and in my opinion the reason many people ping pong back and forth.

I think a lot of making your new life work is about personal attitude, if you left the UK for the reason alone of wanting to leave the UK, and move to Canada to "see how it goes" then it may well not work out. Ive said it before, you need a healthy push to get your started, and an even healthier pull to get you through the tough times on your initial move to Canada, and to adapt, as most people will go through that, i had quite a few "what the hell have i done" moments.

The pull from Canada is still here for me, and thats why this feels like home, i am living a life here that I could never experience in the UK, and this is based on various criteria, for instanace, a disposable income, the weather, attitude of Canadian people, the geography of Canada, and many others.

Of course I do miss certain criteria the UK offers, like the country pub with wonderful cask ales on offer! while indulging in some good old British humour, that said, even that can get a little too much and taken too far at times. Ive made many Canadian friends with a great sense of humour....this like much of the other stuff that draws me to Canada, has probably been because I came here unattached and childless, so had no one else to consider but myself ,and as a result made my own decisions of how to embrace Canadian life.

Like you "not too old", for the most part, life suits be better here for now anyway.

Cheers!
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 6:02 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

The pull from Canada is still here for me, and thats why this feels like home, i am living a life here that I could never experience in the UK, and this is based on various criteria, for instanace, a disposable income, the weather, attitude of Canadian people, the geography of Canada, and many others.
For now, those are the good reasons for being here & not the UK... sorted

Of course I do miss certain criteria the UK offers, like the country pub with wonderful cask ales on offer! while indulging in some good old British humour, that said, even that can get a little too much and taken too far at times.
An under the mattress cash reserve of mad money spend of approx $2000 return ticket will give you a once or (2x that amount) a twice a year 'getaway fix'

As for expat musings, banter and any sense of humour, as you know, there are many on the BE forums that you can chin-wag with

Last edited by not2old; Jun 22nd 2016 at 6:35 pm. Reason: edited
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 2:54 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

OMG Paul I totally missed this post! I blame BabySchnooks.

You certainly were missed at the meetup, I think I even posted in the thread that I was hoping that you would make it!

Glad to hear that things are going well, and that you have a lady-friend! At what point would you bring her to a meetup?

Hoping to catch up soon and so glad to see that things are going well! Sincerely pleased for you, dude.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi,

I will really try and get to one of these meet ups soon, I think because im in Peterborough its quite a trek just for the evening, but my girlfriend and i were thinking of heading to TO for the weekend sometime in the near future, so maybe that would be an opportunity to meet for a drink or two.

Thankyou for your best wishes, and i hope you are both adjusting to parenthood well, sounds like you! and still managing to combine and enjoy other aspects of life too. Good for you!

Cheers

Paul.

PS Congratulations on your soccer victory.....however I have to be honest, i was really hoping for a Wales Germany final (being half Welsh) I think Wales shocked everyone though, unlike England, same old story there! shocker! lol

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 7th 2016 at 8:15 pm. Reason: Schnooks real name removed
Old Jul 7th 2016, 8:01 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I will be posting a thread for a meetup on the 29th... just sayin'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.