Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

7 weeks and headed home :***(

7 weeks and headed home :***(

Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:15 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Originally Posted by Aviator
You think so Drive uninsured is not something I would risk whatever the circumstances.
that's because we're old and sensible.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:17 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Employment standards don't kick in until the 3 month probationary period is up. A lot depends on the 'contract of employment' if one exists and the terms in it as to whether it can be taken to task. Even then it can take months if not years if one sues an employer. If not breach of employment standards has been made, to sure for breach of contract would require the services of a lawyer, although if one has suffered financial loss as a result of the breach, if one exists, this could go to small claims for under $25k, again can take a year or more to come to court. I am in one right now that has been going on two years and could be another year before it is done.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Struggle, yes, but you would survive.

Yes, they may survive, but what if they don't? They'll have spent all their remaining money, and be unable to return home very easily. There comes a time when it's best to call it quits, and perhaps the OP has arrived at that point. I'm sure they didn't come to Canada just to "survive".
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Yes, they may survive, but what if they don't? They'll have spent all their remaining money, and be unable to return home very easily. There comes a time when it's best to call it quits, and perhaps the OP has arrived at that point. I'm sure they didn't come to Canada just to "survive".
From reading the posts I think the MiL will cover a return to the UK as a last resort....

Its just a question of if they can hold on long enough for things to turn around and work to pick up, or whether they are at that point now I think.

Does the employer know how serious this has become I wonder, the OP did say there was some work but it was going to others, maybe the employer needs to understand that if none of that work is contracted to the OPs fella PDQ, then come spring he wont be there to call upon.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

If i read this correctly he is on a TWP contract ....this must contain a minimum amount payable each month.
The employer will have had to submit the contract to obtain the twp./LMO.
if it was me ...i would give the employer a chance to fulfil his contract oblications..if he does not .....well the authorities would be informed and i would be looking for a new employer ,
Do the new TWP/lmo contract rules not insist that the employer pays the workers air flight home at the end of contract /want to return home?
as 2 families i know that are coming to canada have this in the contracts(not same employer)
james

Last edited by jamesmc; Jan 24th 2012 at 7:48 pm. Reason: mmmm.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Contract wont help, In short the employer can do whatever they like in the first three months and just say "it didnt work out", and thats that, but should it go farther than that it will cost too much to retain a lawyer, and take too long to get any useful results anyway.

The biggest danger though in my opinion is it will piss off the employer and probably scare off anyone else likely to offer work in future. Employers in similar fields will all talk to each other, and blackballing is a real possibility Im afraid

Employee rights in Canada are pretty weak, even with a contract.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
From reading the posts I think the MiL will cover a return to the UK as a last resort....

Its just a question of if they can hold on long enough for things to turn around and work to pick up, or whether they are at that point now I think.

The OP has just started another thread regarding shipping the dog home, in which she mentions that they will be on a plane by next week, so it looks as if they have made up their minds.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:00 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Boy do I feel sorry for you, I now fully understand why CIC insist that immigrants have money behind them to survive a few months. I take it that TWP does not require this and the more I think about this, the more I think it should be mandatory for TWP. I hope it all works out, it seems the dream we all have has turned into a nightmare for you. Have you tried the local church for support, you would be surprised what networking contacts are avail to the local vicar. Good luck.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:06 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Employer lied about the hours bring guaranteed. There are none. If there are no hours then there's no cash.
We told employer we were here on a tight budget relying on that basic. Had budgeted to it with what phone/broadband package etc (must have bb as autistic son needs Internet like most people need air. He literally cannot cope without it ) employer didn't care. Told him we had to go home, he didn't care, he is about to retire anyway and they can always find another driver. We will be reporting him when we get back just so that company cannot do this to anyone else.
We had one shot at this and the return flights have forced our hand. If we don't get that flight its another £2k to get us home (plus the dog) and we might not have the option of dossing in my mums empty house(on market) for a few weeks to keep us going.

Given the lack of guarantee we can't risk it. We fly back on 31st.

Expenses, rent 3 bed duplex in mr $1000 mth, $1000 deposit and dog deposit.
Car ins $250 mth, mobile $40 ($200 deposit) home phone tv and bb $70 mth, food and fuel etc $800 month. Gas $150 mth with $433 deposit. Elec $115 mth with $200 deposit. water is free as on well, trash costs about $10 a month and we take it to the tip, recycling collected free. School free after the $170 bill setting dd up with books, paper, and every writing or drawing implement known to man! Costs in uk about £300 a month to top up mortgage and pay loan secured on the house, landlord insurance etc.
We have a 1 yr lease on that so can't kick out the family living there (wouldn't anyway, it's not their fault) Hopefully that will help someone with figures, specific to here tho so YMMV
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:19 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fletcher m
Boy do I feel sorry for you, I now fully understand why CIC insist that immigrants have money behind them to survive a few months. I take it that TWP does not require this and the more I think about this, the more I think it should be mandatory for TWP. I hope it all works out, it seems the dream we all have has turned into a nightmare for you. Have you tried the local church for support, you would be surprised what networking contacts are avail to the local vicar. Good luck.
IMO don't think the amounts the CIC suggest as survival money just in case you don't get employment quickly is any where near enough. We have been very careful with our money, bought an 8 year old car, not splashed out on anything major but still have gone through loads just setting up here - and thats having employment arranged before landing. I would probably double what they suggest as contingency for six months in case of lack of work.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
Employer lied about the hours bring guaranteed. There are none. If there are no hours then there's no cash.
We told employer we were here on a tight budget relying on that basic. Had budgeted to it with what phone/broadband package etc (must have bb as autistic son needs Internet like most people need air. He literally cannot cope without it ) employer didn't care. Told him we had to go home, he didn't care, he is about to retire anyway and they can always find another driver. We will be reporting him when we get back just so that company cannot do this to anyone else.
We had one shot at this and the return flights have forced our hand. If we don't get that flight its another £2k to get us home (plus the dog) and we might not have the option of dossing in my mums empty house(on market) for a few weeks to keep us going.

Given the lack of guarantee we can't risk it. We fly back on 31st.

Expenses, rent 3 bed duplex in mr $1000 mth, $1000 deposit and dog deposit.
Car ins $250 mth, mobile $40 ($200 deposit) home phone tv and bb $70 mth, food and fuel etc $800 month. Gas $150 mth with $433 deposit. Elec $115 mth with $200 deposit. water is free as on well, trash costs about $10 a month and we take it to the tip, recycling collected free. School free after the $170 bill setting dd up with books, paper, and every writing or drawing implement known to man! Costs in uk about £300 a month to top up mortgage and pay loan secured on the house, landlord insurance etc.
We have a 1 yr lease on that so can't kick out the family living there (wouldn't anyway, it's not their fault) Hopefully that will help someone with figures, specific to here tho so YMMV
What car are you selling and for how much?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by gillyd65
IMO don't think the amounts the CIC suggest as survival money just in case you don't get employment quickly is any where near enough. We have been very careful with our money, bought an 8 year old car, not splashed out on anything major but still have gone through loads just setting up here - and thats having employment arranged before landing. I would probably double what they suggest as contingency for six months in case of lack of work.
I think CIC probably consider buying, insuring, and running a car in excess of the bare bones minimum living requirements.

But yes, bring more if you can, obviously.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gillyd65
I totally agree, the proof of funds amount is way too low imo.

OP, really sorry to hear that things didn't work out for you, I hope you're back on your feet in the UK very soon.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
yes i have already flogged more than half of my stuff, the rest is family bits not worth a lot. have already used the cash from that to get acar sorted out as hiring was horrendous! BTW the 5ct ruby is beautiful, but still in the uk. cost me £80 on www.gemstv.co.uk had it valued at £800 for insurance so despite the fact ive never even worn it, that will be going too when we get back. im not sitting on my laurels refusing to work here, ive been round tims, 50s diner, mcd, and all the food shops in MR. right after christmas nobody is hiring. and as has been said if i get a job dh can watch the kids unless he gets called into work then i have to let my employer down, if we are relying on that wage they will nto wear that too often before they start kicking off.
A genuine 5 carat ruby is extremely rare. The Crown Jewels and Liz Taylor springs to mind. Sounds like you've been robbed.

Anyway....I am sorry to read your story and the position you and your family find themselves in. I suppose it's a gamble we all take when we move to a new country. Hopefully you'll be able to get back on your feet soon.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:48 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
That may be true, but seven weeks?

It takes a long time and a lot of initial outlay to get settled somewhere new and that is just a ridiculously short time to be here after spending so much to get here (as we all have).

As other posters have already said, if any family hasn't got enough money in their savings to easily cover the costs of getting here and still have a reasonable fund for supporting themselves through a lean patch then they really should ask themselves whether they should come at all.

An assumption that things might not go to plan initially and a BIG contingency fund for that eventuality is essential when emigrating.

This is not to criticise TJ - I hope her family find what they need back in the UK so this has a silver lining, but it should be taken note of by anybody reading this thread who has a job offer and on the strength of that is just picking up their entire worldly goods to come to Canada and burning themselves out financially to do so.

Reading what can happen in such a short time might make them think again and hopefully some other family will be spared this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.