Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

7 and a half years in montreal - time to say goodbye?

7 and a half years in montreal - time to say goodbye?

Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Golfnutgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 7 and a half years in montreal - time to say goodbye?

Just passed our 7 and a half year anniversary in montreal, finally got copr yesterday and all set to move to toronto, or are we? House just sold and oh settled in new job which is to be based in toronto - we thought we were ready but now the time has come, we're not so sure! We have great friends here (well as good as it gets with Canadians!), daughter is bilingual but I have never been able to work (o level french only gets you so far and I didn't fancy a cleaning job). So not I have to decide whether to return to England or put my faith in oh and yet another move for his work (by the way he works 14 hours most days) and the hope that despite a huge gap of not working, I'll be able to pick up something reasonably rewarding in Ontario. Completely torn and time is running out ....
Old Mar 19th 2015, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

what_if is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 7 and a half years in montreal - time to say goodbye?

You did well as we only went for the weekend and couldn't wait to leave lol. You should be OK in Toronto but my part of Ontario is minimum wage city. I'm like you, playing golf while my OH is working 30 hrs a day. Yes I know there is only 24 but she can go to work on Monday and not get relieved til Wednesday. Not my ideal job but hey where did I leave my clubs.

Last edited by what_if; Mar 19th 2015 at 7:07 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks what if - thought I was the only one in this situation ... Summer is obviously fine with golf to be played but every winter is an endurance test with endless hours to be filled up ....

Normally a bit more upbeat but stressing over making a choice which impacts on other people (oh is happy here and wouldn't even consider returning to the uk!) I actually love montreal apart from the taxes, politics and lack of work so it'll be a sad time leaving here.

How long have you been in canada for??
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

what_if is an unknown quantity at this point

4 years, we probably went to the wrong parts in Montreal and so many aggresive beggars grrr. Spoilt by the fantastic time we'd just experienced in Quebec City too
Old Mar 20th 2015, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Golfnutgirl
We have great friends here (well as good as it gets with Canadians!),

Old Apr 3rd 2015, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

oliverjude will become famous soon enougholiverjude will become famous soon enough

It's a tough one! Four and a half years in Toronto and I think we've had enough. The only pros for us staying here is space, bigger homes and hot summers. I miss England so so much. The food, culture, history, country pubs, fashion, community, sense of humour, the list goes on! This is a crunch year before our boys get any older.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

I miss all of that so I get completely where you're coming from - we are all decided - moving to oakville in 2 weeks. I just know if we went back after 6 months I'd think we made a mistake - it's hard to decide but onto pastures new!