British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/)
-   -   6 years in Nova Scotia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/6-years-nova-scotia-893837/)

Howefamily Mar 13th 2017 4:56 pm

6 years in Nova Scotia

Yesterday was the anniversary of our 6th year in NS.
Its been fun and its had a couple of ups and downs from the honeymoon period to culture shock where even the way Nissan is pronounced aggravated me ;)
In short:
We bought a nice house that we still love although sometimes I wish it had a water view. Cant move to one now as everyone wants to stay put due to friends etc so the water view is not going to happen any time soon.

I am on my 4th employer as have been climbing back up the career ladder. My first job was for the same pay I recived in the UK but with a dollar sign in front of the number but it was a nice little happy office that reminded me of the law firm in Erin Brockovich. Since then I have worked for a large diverse company in Internal Audit, a big utility as a Finance Manager on a project and am now in a company that deices aircraft around the world. I have carried on learning and growing in my career and my salary has more than doubled so I am happy. I can honestly say that I have met some seriously intelligent hardworking people especially in the Utility and my ability as an Accountant has jumped more in the last 4 years than in the last 10.
NS has two sides, those laid back country types are just one side of the coin.

Hubby took a couple of years to get into a role he liked. He was in the police in the UK so it wasnt so easy for him but now hes a sheriff and pretty happy. The work isnt so taxing as Surrey police but the money is better.

Kids are 100% Canadian and wont even visit the UK.
Hubby and I have both been back a couple of times to visit, usually when someone is sick and its really nice to go back there. I appreciate the driving and the countryside and the fish and chips. Its nice to hang with my friends, see my old car and wander Tescos. Then I happily board a plane and come back home.

We are fortunate to live in a friendly neighbourhood in a house I love with a pool and a hot tub. As summer is so great here I feel like all summer I am on a vacation. This helps me get through March and April and early May which I think truly suck here.

On the whole I miss very little and everyday am thankful we made it here. We have good friends, ski, skate, swim in the summer in the lakes and the ocean and appreciate the people.
We just go back from two weeks in Orlando and I stuggled with the amount of people both there and in Anna Maria Island. I realise that I now need to be around less people.

BristolUK Mar 14th 2017 2:24 am

Re: 6 years in Nova Scotia

:thumbup:

What more could one hope for?

Stinkypup Mar 14th 2017 2:45 am

Nice one HF-you seem very content despite the NS critics :thumbup:

I'm amazed .. Bristol. Sheriff Howe and his Deputy.......:confused:

Howefamily Mar 14th 2017 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12204076)
Nice one HF-you seem very content despite the NS critics :thumbup:

I'm amazed .. Bristol. Sheriff Howe and his Deputy.......:confused:

thanks, I try not to rise to the critics as in real life here in NS many many people are more than content. Despite having high HST at 15% and high income taxes compared to some other places we have reasonable property prices and there are jobs. Some people find it easier to get work than others I concede but it depends on what you are looking for and how connected you are. Linkedin along with good relationships with recruiters and hirers is important but I dont think thats just in NS

Shakyuk Mar 14th 2017 1:24 pm

Sounds great! Nice to read a good move experience, best of luck with the future and keep us updated :)

A good thread to direct people to when they're slating NS!

JonboyE Mar 14th 2017 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12204070)

What more could one hope for?

A water view?

Shakyuk Mar 14th 2017 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 12204528)
A water view?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

pddebbie1403 Mar 14th 2017 5:23 pm

Like the Howe family, we have settled fully in Nova Scotia and are coming up to our 5 year anniversary. We have also in the last week, taken the citizenship test and are looking forward to next stage in our adventure.

We made the decision to move here when we were 49, so a huge leap of faith - but haven't looked back. Nova Scotians are lovely people and we have wonderful and supportive friends. We found jobs very easily and have since gone on to open our own physio practice employing Canadian staff.

We have the luxury of living on a lake (something that wouldn't ever have been possible at home). And as we lived outside of London before, we have the joy of never having issues over parking, no noisy people fighting and waking us up at night time, never seen anyone fighting over a parking spot at the shops and some dark at night to see the stars. Let alone the myriad of other benefits.

There are always some paybacks but so far, have not had any that made us regret our decision. We, of course, miss our friends and family at home - but never miss the clamour and clog of life at 'home'. We feel very lucky to have made the 'leap'!

Howefamily Mar 14th 2017 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 12204528)
A water view?

Originally Posted by Shakyuk (Post 12204577)
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Howefamily Mar 14th 2017 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by pddebbie1403 (Post 12204648)
Like the Howe family, we have settled fully in Nova Scotia and are coming up to our 5 year anniversary. We have also in the last week, taken the citizenship test and are looking forward to next stage in our adventure.

We made the decision to move here when we were 49, so a huge leap of faith - but haven't looked back. Nova Scotians are lovely people and we have wonderful and supportive friends. We found jobs very easily and have since gone on to open our own physio practice employing Canadian staff.

We have the luxury of living on a lake (something that wouldn't ever have been possible at home). And as we lived outside of London before, we have the joy of never having issues over parking, no noisy people fighting and waking us up at night time, never seen anyone fighting over a parking spot at the shops and some dark at night to see the stars. Let alone the myriad of other benefits.

There are always some paybacks but so far, have not had any that made us regret our decision. We, of course, miss our friends and family at home - but never miss the clamour and clog of life at 'home'. We feel very lucky to have made the 'leap'!

:goodpost:

Shakyuk Mar 14th 2017 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by pddebbie1403 (Post 12204648)
Like the Howe family, we have settled fully in Nova Scotia and are coming up to our 5 year anniversary. We have also in the last week, taken the citizenship test and are looking forward to next stage in our adventure...

Great post! :)

DandNHill Mar 21st 2017 11:47 am

It's funny I was just thinking how as the years go by people don't post their Canniversaries so much! Then I saw you had. Lol

I remember you coming to see us before you left the U.K. We were all so full of excitement (probabably tinged with trepidation too). We were jealous you were going to be in Canada before us. Lol

Then we came to visit and stayed with you. You'd only been in your house for maybe three weeks at the time.
Again we were so envious that you had made the move and for the most part you were settled. I think it made us more determined to be successful in our move!

You certainly have made your move a success. You are showing everyone how it is possible to have not just a life but a good life in NS.

Congrats on your six years and here's to another six! 🍷 🥂 🍾

Howefamily Mar 21st 2017 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 12209421)
It's funny I was just thinking how as the years go by people don't post their Canniversaries so much! Then I saw you had. Lol

I remember you coming to see us before you left the U.K. We were all so full of excitement (probabably tinged with trepidation too). We were jealous you were going to be in Canada before us. Lol

Then we came to visit and stayed with you. You'd only been in your house for maybe three weeks at the time.
Again we were so envious that you had made the move and for the most part you were settled. I think it made us more determined to be successful in our move!

You certainly have made your move a success. You are showing everyone how it is possible to have not just a life but a good life in NS.

Congrats on your six years and here's to another six! 🍷 🥂 🍾

Oh thank you!! I remember you certainly didnt have an easy start, what with being apart from your husband and then his injury and then finally your move. I miss you being in NS but its good to know you are online too and can give your opinion on NS and Ontario to all the newbies.

DandNHill Mar 21st 2017 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 12209464)
Oh thank you!! I remember you certainly didnt have an easy start, what with being apart from your husband and then his injury and then finally your move. I miss you being in NS but its good to know you are online too and can give your opinion on NS and Ontario to all the newbies.

I promised myself I would not be apart from him again after that time. Then we were separated again when we were transitioning to Ontario.
I miss NS. Lots of lovely people there ❤️

You're right though I'm never far away. Soon our housing situation should be resolved and I'm hoping to have a trip to NS. (Without dog fearing friends!). Lol

Silverdragon102 Mar 26th 2017 9:56 am

We too love it here in NS. Coming up to celebrating 9 years living here, husband has no interest in visiting the UK and although I plan on visiting this year if finances agree it will be the first time, instead my mother visits every 2 years. Have been Canadian citizens for 12 months and no regrets whatsoever and as a nurse my wage has certainly increased compared to what I got in the UK with better union representation