Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

6 Years in Alberta Today...

6 Years in Alberta Today...

Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default 6 Years in Alberta Today...

Who would have believed it, time has flown. Married a girl from Edmonton, just gave birth to our first child 4 weeks ago. Applying for Citizenship this month.

Next couple of years will see us plan our move out of Edmonton. My sense of humour with the place ended a long time ago. I still count myself as very lucky to be in Canada, but it's time to move on to a more diverse culture and with a little luck near the sea again!

As someone who's spent most of his adult life travelling, the hardest part is now finding myself "stuck" in a place I don't want to be, for career and for day to day living. The beautiful open spaces I so loved when I moved here have now become soulless Prairie landscapes. I'm dying for some 'proper' conversation and find myself for the first time trying to search for fellow expats!

I've read some other posts today, about people moving out of Alberta to other provinces. At the end of the day you have to be happy, even if it costs you more money to live in BC or Ontario.

For all those reading...already here or thinking about it...Canada is a great place to live. But you need to understand WHERE you're moving to first, if its going to be the correct solution. The Prairies are vastly different to the UK. I came here with the job so had no choice.

Anyway don't mean to sound doom and gloom, I guess in the last 2 years I've found my perspective has really changed. Looking forward to the next 6 years, whatever it brings
Old Jan 8th 2015, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 Years in Alberta Today...

Could never have lived in Alberta myself! Enough of them here with a very different attitude to a lot of us in BC. We were going to go back to UK this year but have decided to stay and make this our home for next 7 years. Accept certain facts:
1. No depth of conversation or understanding
2. No close friends (unless fellow expats)
3. Everything must be big
4. No humour
5. Same old same old and boring food

If you can just accept that and find your own niche and a nice job in a place that suits all three of you, then you are likely to settle better.

Good for you going for citizenship. The ceremony is a good way of feeling welcomed to Canada!

All the best
Old Jan 8th 2015, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Could never have lived in Alberta myself! Enough of them here with a very different attitude to a lot of us in BC. We were going to go back to UK this year but have decided to stay and make this our home for next 7 years. Accept certain facts:
4. No humour

If you can just accept that and find your own niche and a nice job in a place that suits all three of you, then you are likely to settle better.

Good for you going for citizenship. The ceremony is a good way of feeling welcomed to Canada!

All the best
Lol you sure you don't want to swap and I'll come lve on Vancouver Island? Cheers
Old Jan 8th 2015, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Red1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your time here & the new life, we have been in Canada since 2010. In Lethbridge Alberta, and like you long for a move to another province, would love BC or east coast but both have their problems, to be honest just want to be near the sea!

Good luck for your future plans.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuabroad
Lol you sure you don't want to swap and I'll come lve on Vancouver Island? Cheers
You would probably enjoy VI better especially Victoria or even Comox Valley where I live but unless independently wealthy, doctor, vet or dentist there are few jobs!
Old Jan 9th 2015, 11:25 am
Just Joined

nizblake is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Stuabroad,

me and my family are planning on migrating to canada soon so im using this site and other sources to get as much information as possible about getting over there and peoples advices on the different provinces , can you elaborate abit more on what you dont like about alberta, especially on the cultural diversity you mentioned as iv seen alot of peoples opinions on alberta and alot seems to be moving out to other provinces too .

by the sounds of it most people move there in the first place for jobs and high salaries i would love to hear more from you about this. Thank you in advance for your help
Old Jan 10th 2015, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stuabroad
Congratulations on your time here and your new baby's arrival.
We have been in Alberta for just over 5 years now and applied for citizenship.
We are happy here and feel quite settled.

Good luck on your future adventures
Old Jan 10th 2015, 10:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

... Accept certain facts:
4. No humour

If you can just accept that ...
Why accept that? It sounds nothing like my life just across the water from you.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

It is probably me then!

I have tried to make friends and have quite a few acquaintances but have never found that friend I had back in UK nor have I been able to sit around and chat and laugh like we did back there! People are lovely, polite and small talk. Some think that some of my jokes are not appropriate. If I swear I get looks. I have yet to have a phone chat like I can with my British/SA friends. People phone you for a purpose and abruptly then end the conversation! Both OH and myself are in agreement with this. We thought that when we sold and left they would probably be happy to see the back of us here but our neighbours and "friends" all told us they are glad we are staying! I initially at Christmas had all the neighbours in for drinks but have yet to see inside one couples house in 12 years! They chat at the door! Very rarely do they initiate a get together nor do they "pop" in! The most polite people I know!
As for the "same old same old " walk one provincial park and you can be anywhere on this Island or Lower Mainland. At Christmas because we were alone our neighbours kindly invited us to dinner and we sat around the table all making small talk even though we have known these people for 8 years. We excused ourselves at an appropriate time to go home and watch TV! In order to cope with the loneliness (yes feeling alone in a group can also be lonely) I have now just accepted this and wait until I can either phone home or meet up or chat with my Brit or South African friends! Then I can discuss anything from Downton Abbey to the latest Muslim attack in France without feeling I may offend someone! Maybe women are different. My OH does not feel it as hard as me as he never had any close friends just work mates and family.
Maybe the difference for us is that we are a childless couple with no family here in Canada whatsoever!
Old Jan 11th 2015, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

It is probably me then!

I have tried to make friends and have quite a few acquaintances but have never found that friend I had back in UK nor have I been able to sit around and chat and laugh like we did back there! People are lovely, polite and small talk. Some think that some of my jokes are not appropriate. If I swear I get looks. I have yet to have a phone chat like I can with my British/SA friends. People phone you for a purpose and abruptly then end the conversation! Both OH and myself are in agreement with this. We thought that when we sold and left they would probably be happy to see the back of us here but our neighbours and "friends" all told us they are glad we are staying! I initially at Christmas had all the neighbours in for drinks but have yet to see inside one couples house in 12 years! They chat at the door! Very rarely do they initiate a get together nor do they "pop" in! The most polite people I know!
As for the "same old same old " walk one provincial park and you can be anywhere on this Island or Lower Mainland. At Christmas because we were alone our neighbours kindly invited us to dinner and we sat around the table all making small talk even though we have known these people for 8 years. We excused ourselves at an appropriate time to go home and watch TV! In order to cope with the loneliness (yes feeling alone in a group can also be lonely) I have now just accepted this and wait until I can either phone home or meet up or chat with my Brit or South African friends! Then I can discuss anything from Downton Abbey to the latest Muslim attack in France without feeling I may offend someone! Maybe women are different. My OH does not feel it as hard as me as he never had any close friends just work mates and family.
Maybe the difference for us is that we are a childless couple with no family here in Canada whatsoever!
I'd probably go along with most of what you said above. I put the lack of depth in conversation down to the fact that most Canadians have grown up in what we would regard as a fairly bland society, when compared to the UK. We have 65 million people on a tiny island, off the west coast of Europe. We grow up with Catholic vs. Protestant, a class system, and all the usual crap/ stuff we already know. The stuff most of us wanted to move away from let's not forget. The fact is there is a lack of 'world' experience here in Alberta and you can't really blame the locals for that, they're a victim of their geographical isolation. I see this in the corporate world here every day, half of the people on middle and senior management would get eaten alive in the UK. What hire really saying is you find it hard to connect with this lack of depth to the average person here. That's why they're all eternally polite, but it's not believable. That's also why many expats turn to fellow expats...for the immediate familiarity. Folk from the UK come from a very distinct heritage...we have multiple layers to our culture good and bad that simply don't exist in a country only 150 years old...that's why Canadians and Americans fall over themselves to talk to you when they hear the accent. Everyone here was Scottish or Irish in the distant past

Anyway what am I trying to say. If you're lucky, you'll find a really good 'mate' that you can connect with as you would in the UK. Chances are though that the person will have travelled a bit more widely...otherwise they cannot hope to understand who you are or where you come from. Remember you chose to come and build a life for yourself here...to enjoy the mountains and the open spaces and the 'better' standard of living here. That means you elected to get out of the UK rat race...which made you such an interesting person to talk to in the first place. I went back to the UK in 2012 for a month and after 3 weeks couldn't wait to get out of it. For me, I'm also struggling with the same issue as yourself...so as far as I can work it out in my head, I just need to move nearer a larger population centre to provide that diversity to the culture that you can't find in the Prairies. Swings and roundabouts...it's all in your attitude at the end of the day as to how you survive. Apparently that's what Dr Phil will tell you lol
Old Jan 11th 2015, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

I forgot to add that I think not having any UK family here is a big thing. I know two Scottish families that moved here and they brought the whole squad over...3 kids and mum and dad. So they basically have a Scottish household but it happens to be in Canada. I wonder if they miss the UK in the way we do...probably not as that vacuum doesn't exist for them: they have each other. I also am on my own here and my Canadian wife and I have to work to bridge the cultural gap every day
Old Jan 11th 2015, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

I forgot to add that I think not having any UK family here is a big thing. I know two Scottish families that moved here and they brought the whole squad over...3 kids and mum and dad. So they basically have a Scottish household but it happens to be in Canada. I wonder if they miss the UK in the way we do...probably not as that vacuum doesn't exist for them: they have each other. I also am on my own here and my Canadian wife and I have to work to bridge the cultural gap every day
I can concur with this, I know a South African family and Brit family who both brought the entire gang over from gran and gramps down to cousins so they have the family around! It does make a huge difference. It happened over a period of years but none of them have reasons to go back for visits.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'd probably go along with most of what you said above. I put the lack of depth in conversation down to the fact that most Canadians have grown up in what we would regard as a fairly bland society, when compared to the UK. We have 65 million people on a tiny island, off the west coast of Europe. We grow up with Catholic vs. Protestant, a class system, and all the usual crap/ stuff we already know. The stuff most of us wanted to move away from let's not forget. The fact is there is a lack of 'world' experience here in Alberta and you can't really blame the locals for that, they're a victim of their geographical isolation. I see this in the corporate world here every day, half of the people on middle and senior management would get eaten alive in the UK. What hire really saying is you find it hard to connect with this lack of depth to the average person here. That's why they're all eternally polite, but it's not believable. That's also why many expats turn to fellow expats...for the immediate familiarity. Folk from the UK come from a very distinct heritage...we have multiple layers to our culture good and bad that simply don't exist in a country only 150 years old...that's why Canadians and Americans fall over themselves to talk to you when they hear the accent. Everyone here was Scottish or Irish in the distant past

Anyway what am I trying to say. If you're lucky, you'll find a really good 'mate' that you can connect with as you would in the UK. Chances are though that the person will have travelled a bit more widely...otherwise they cannot hope to understand who you are or where you come from. Remember you chose to come and build a life for yourself here...to enjoy the mountains and the open spaces and the 'better' standard of living here. That means you elected to get out of the UK rat race...which made you such an interesting person to talk to in the first place. I went back to the UK in 2012 for a month and after 3 weeks couldn't wait to get out of it. For me, I'm also struggling with the same issue as yourself...so as far as I can work it out in my head, I just need to move nearer a larger population centre to provide that diversity to the culture that you can't find in the Prairies. Swings and roundabouts...it's all in your attitude at the end of the day as to how you survive. Apparently that's what Dr Phil will tell you lol

Old Jan 14th 2015, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

I actually really like living in Edmonton although we are planning on buying a house in Leduc this year.
I don't find it bland at all,I enjoy driving up north and going for walks in the bush,or that short drive to the Rockies,the steak is amazing compared to the crap in the UK,and eating out for a family of 5 is affordable and enjoyable.
I've made several good Canadian friends that I have to say have been way better friends over the past 2 years alone than any of my friends back in Scotland,I have a great Croatian friend,and many friends of different nationalities,the Irish boys seem to group together pretty much doing what they done in Ireland (drinking),I've made friends from various activities like hunting,shooting,off roading,work etc...
I don't want to be near the sea again as the dampness in Scotland constantly gave me chest infections.
I don't miss talking to people from the UK at all,in fact the lack of class snobbery is refreshing.
I was depressed in the UK,but since coming here couldn't be happier unless of course I won the lottery lol.
Good luck wherever you end up Stu!
Old Jan 20th 2015, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Sunryder is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Feelbritish, have you been onto the SAcanada forum. I know that there are some South Africans on the island there. Maybe connect with them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.