6 months

Old Nov 23rd 2012, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months

Originally Posted by Lorry1
I don't have a guarantee, but I'm not going to risk it
That was not the original issue for returning anyway but the school system here does frustrate me.
Are you sure its the school system that you are frustrated with - or is it your teenage daughter's lack of attendance?
It is true that in the early years the schools here are academically behind their UK counterparts, however we have found that they focus on other aspects; presentation skills, public speaking etc. The level of work and quantity rapidly accelerates through high school and by the time they graduate they seem to be on a par. Last time I checked, 16 year olds in the UK don't have to go to school either. As far as truancy is concerned, if a child misses so much as a class then we get a phone call and an email informing us who was missing and which class they missed. We have found that the school system here has worked very well for our two boys, allowing them to be more relaxed through the early years gives late developers more of an opportunity to grow.
There is so much doom and gloom on this thread, I felt someone needed to present a different experience.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Are you sure its the school system that you are frustrated with - or is it your teenage daughter's lack of attendance?
It is true that in the early years the schools here are academically behind their UK counterparts, however we have found that they focus on other aspects; presentation skills, public speaking etc. The level of work and quantity rapidly accelerates through high school and by the time they graduate they seem to be on a par. Last time I checked, 16 year olds in the UK don't have to go to school either. As far as truancy is concerned, if a child misses so much as a class then we get a phone call and an email informing us who was missing and which class they missed. We have found that the school system here has worked very well for our two boys, allowing them to be more relaxed through the early years gives late developers more of an opportunity to grow.
There is so much doom and gloom on this thread, I felt someone needed to present a different experience.
Its not all doom and gloom - just a bit of a shell shock at how different schooling is here. The physical aspect of his issues have been dealt with now I am pleased to say. (One of which I dealt with myself by having a quite word with a boy in the playground.... I was perfectly nice but it hasn't happened since!)

My son is only 7 and has already had to do a project which involved presenting the whole project (concept, design, making it and how it works) to his whole class and teachers. I was impressed with that because like you say it's focusing on public speaking - something that is good to get them used to at a young age. I never did it at school and would hate to do it now!
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:31 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Its not all doom and gloom - just a bit of a shell shock at how different schooling is here. The physical aspect of his issues have been dealt with now I am pleased to say. (One of which I dealt with myself by having a quite word with a boy in the playground.... I was perfectly nice but it hasn't happened since!)

My son is only 7 and has already had to do a project which involved presenting the whole project (concept, design, making it and how it works) to his whole class and teachers. I was impressed with that because like you say it's focusing on public speaking - something that is good to get them used to at a young age. I never did it at school and would hate to do it now!
I was just like you but public speaking is a taught skill.

As part of my accounting designation I had to do a course in public speaking. It doesn't bother me at all now.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:50 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am frustrated with my daughter, of course as I know she can do really well and pass all her subjects, but she has had enough of school.

We get emails and phone calls too but I asked the school to take us off their calling list as we can't do anything about it apparently and neither can they so its pointless.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 5:35 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Home schooling, not too sure about that.

How many of us when to the best schools? We all appear to have managed ok. As regular posters will know, I believe that most will do just fine in Canadian or UK schools.
Most of the research suggests that most kids do [academic achievement] just about the same whether they're 'home-schooled' or not. Does sort of beg the question.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 7:36 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am frustrated with my daughter, of course as I know she can do really well and pass all her subjects, but she has had enough of school.

We get emails and phone calls too but I asked the school to take us off their calling list as we can't do anything about it apparently and neither can they so its pointless.
Huh? Perhaps, since my kids are not yet teenagers, I'm being hopelessly naive, but I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying here. She's your daughter: presumably you're responsible for feeding/clothing/housing her? It seems somewhat to be shirking responsibility to just throw up your hands and say "we can't do anything about it" if she's cutting school. Isn't it your job as a parent to prevent, or dissuade, a child from making decisions they will regret later in life?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Troublesome teens will be troublesome teens regardless of the country.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 1:28 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Huh? Perhaps, since my kids are not yet teenagers, I'm being hopelessly naive, but I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying here. She's your daughter: presumably you're responsible for feeding/clothing/housing her? It seems somewhat to be shirking responsibility to just throw up your hands and say "we can't do anything about it" if she's cutting school. Isn't it your job as a parent to prevent, or dissuade, a child from making decisions they will regret later in life?
Yes, as are a lot of people when their kids are young and sweet and you still have total control.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, as are a lot of people when their kids are young and sweet and you still have total control.
Mine are 17 and 13 and I am with Oakvillian on this.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I'd be interested to know how one prevents or dissuades a determined teenager from doing something they know you are powerless to prevent.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:34 pm
The Brit is back

Well before you judge me, I haven't actually passed off any responsibility at all and have actually tried many different avenues to try and keep her in school.
I was originally trying to get across that I am finding it frustrating that kids over the age of 16 years old are allowed to leave school with no diploma, or qualifications behind them. So why then, if schools officially run until they are 18, are they not made to stay in school until then?

My daughter is actually still attending school, just skipping lessons, she hasn't dropped out and that is mainly because I am coaxing every day and I will continue with one big push until June.

You cannot make an adult over 16 attend school and the schools cannot keep them there, that is my point!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
But that's not a Canadian thing, it's common in the UK too. My daughter is presenting an assembly at her school on Friday morning - she's 8.