Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

5 years Vancouver Island- Overall a good move

5 years Vancouver Island- Overall a good move

Old Feb 20th 2017, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Juliet C is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 5 years Vancouver Island- Overall a good move

Ive not been on the forum since I moved here, just to busy. Its been 5 years now on Vancouver Island, first couple of years horrible, Canadians may speak English but their culture and outlook is far more different than I expected. Anyway overall a good move, great place to bring up our young daughter (she was 2 when we moved here) not so great for elder child who went back to the UK. Miss the crack with the brits, miss the shopping, miss the TV and miss the NHS but love the weather, school system, sense of space, work life balance. My advise for anyone thinking of moving is make sure your partnership/marriage is solid as moving puts a huge strain on it...we made it but just about
Old Feb 21st 2017, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 years Vancouver Island- Overall a good move

A shame your elder child went back to the UK, that must have been hard!
Good advice on the strong relationship, if moving house is stressful then moving country must be 100 times worse!
Good to read you're glad you made the move though
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

We've been in Vancouver for four years, but thinking about making the move to the Island. How do you find the people there? People here in Van are pleasant enough but rarely seem to click with them. I'm hoping it's just a Vancouver thing.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Juliet C is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by biggayowl
We've been in Vancouver for four years, but thinking about making the move to the Island. How do you find the people there? People here in Van are pleasant enough but rarely seem to click with them. I'm hoping it's just a Vancouver thing.
I think its a West Canadian thing, I really had to make an big effort to get some friends and it took a while, fortunately I have a little girl which helped but it was really hard, lots of people already have their 'click' plus I found a lot of Canadians just dont have the same outlook, I tried to change myself but found I wasn't happy at all.

I do now have a handful of friends who 'get it' but most are either East Canadian, non Canadian (as in European, Russian, African, Chinese and Mexican) or Canadians who are married to non Canadians.

There are lots of expats here but to be honest apart from a couple they have not been much help

My poor hubby has a really dry sense of humour and most of the Canadians just didn't get it at all, he has had to tone it down a bit and now they are getting used to him

My advise would be whether you come here or not is to get out there, except every invitation you get and be yourself, some people will like you some will not...

Good luck
Old Feb 25th 2017, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I (I'm Scots and she's Indonesian) retired and immigrated to Vancouver (Tsawwassen) in 1990....and later became citizens.
We also didn't immediately fit..and we didn't have children to break any barriers but, slowly and surely, we did integrate...she through joining gym, church, golf and women's events and me through my passion for boating, Power Squadron events and going to the local pub.
Never looked back but we now live in Bali....and now we've never been more popular. We cannot keep up as we have so many visitors... and, when we return to Vancouver for summer...must visit everyone we know....it's a great delight.
I just wish we hadn't sold our house, boat....and golf clubs...
Vancouver, in summer, is one of the best places to be.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 11:05 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliet C
Miss the crack with the brits
You can get crack here if you know where to go.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 2:25 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

We've lived on the Island for a few years now. I strongly believe that you get out what you put in. Since we arrived here we've thrown ourselves on the mercy of others! My wife has been a Guide/Brownie leader for 5 years. I'm Chairman of our youngest's PAC at school. I've just joined the local marine Search and Rescue (hmmm....). We help out at the village/church Fete. Neighbours will see a pile of un-split logs delivered and without asking, a log splitter will appear!

I love it here!