Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

5 years to the day...

5 years to the day...

Old Apr 27th 2013, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 years to the day...

+3
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Its is exactly 5 years ago today that i landed in Canada(Toronto)..22nd April 2008.

I think i did an update after 3 years but didn't bother last year. Since April 08 i have lived in London Ontario (briefly), Edmonton Until March 2012 and Calgary to date.

I came as a family of 5 now i am a family of 1..i got divorced last year and have been living on my own for over a year now trying to make it work. I have a good job, i live in a nice house and earn a more than healthy income but with my wife and kids back in England it all just seems pointless. I am trying to hang on for citizenship at the same time as trying to go home

I am stuck with two choices stay in Canada and be secure in my job and financially better off and see my kids at most twice a year or return home and start again with no job little in the way of financial security and see my kids every weekend..here in lies the problem if my kids were 10 years younger i would go home in a heart beat..however they are teenagers now and in 2 or 3 years will be going their own way in the world and wont need me so much.

Still back to Canada..i think i have come to accept it for what it is..i no longer compare it to the UK because they are not the same..which is better? i think that depends on the sort of person you are..if you like hiking, camping are a little introverted, a tad geeky or a bit weird then Canada is a good fit..if you area little bit more with it..like sport and do a lot of ducking and diving and are outgoing and you wanna emigrate then probably Australia is for you and not Canada.

I dont bother preaching to those who want to come..i dont poo poo people who have come and fallen in love with the place and like to sing it from the roof tops at every opportunity and i have every sympathy with those who struggle and want to go home.

Canada is what it is..some will love it..some will hate it and most like me will just get on with it and take the good with the bad.

Cheers
What a beautifully honest post. I am so sorry to hear of the difficulties, cheeky monkey.. Thanks for your reflection, and wishing you the best.

floatsy
Old May 16th 2013, 5:53 am
April 2009

rugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond repute

My deepest sympathy to you and your ex and children. My husband has announced he will never leave here, I would go home tomorrow and our children could take it or leave it so I appreciate your dilemmas.

Good luck, whatever happens.