Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

5 months on The Rock

5 months on The Rock

Old Mar 23rd 2015, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

nicolasta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 5 months on The Rock

After what felt like an insane amount of waiting myself and 3 kids (10, 6 & 5 weeks old) finally made the move from Ireland to St John's NL in October 2014. Landing was lovely and stress free, a CBSA agent went out and brought my husband into us so he got to hang out with kids (and his brand new baby) while I had all my paperwork sorted.
OH had been here for almost 2 years, so he sorted out a house before we arrived, which was fantastic. Kids thrilled to be back with their Dad. I spent the first month getting sorted with SIN numbers, MCP cards, credit cards, getting registered with a family Dr etc.. Oh yeah and learning how to drive and more importantly reverse park an F150 around town!!
One of my big worries was keeping the kids warm during the cold (and long) Newfoundland winters, so I went a bit mad on the snow suits etc.., especially for the baby!
After three weeks we enrolled the kids in the local school, which was incredibly painless once you have your MCP. I also brought their old school reports and vaccination certs from Ireland. The kids have adjusted to elementary school really well. My aim was to keep them as busy as possible to try and integrate them quickly, so I signed them both up for swimming, basketball, ice-skating and rugby . My experience is that teachers here are way more accessible and engaged than they were back home which is great when you are trying to navigate a new system.
The winters here are really really really tough. You hear so much about them, before you come over, but honestly, until you experience them for yourself you have absolutely no idea!!!
Having said that, it really incentivizes you to make the most out of the Summer. We have already booked a cabin on the west coast and have just bought a great family tent and camping gear to make the most of the brilliant parks and campgrounds all around us.
So after 5 wintery months in St John's I can honestly say that I really like it so far. I find people to be friendly, open and genuinely happy that we love Newfoundland. I miss my work a lot, but I am kept busy with a 6 month old at home and acting as taxi driver to the other two.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 11:51 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 months on The Rock

Congrats! I am fortunate enough to spend a week a month in St John's and I love it. The people are great! and when the sun shines it's truly beautiful.
Put signal hill on your list for the summertime, that walk/climb really is something else
Old Mar 24th 2015, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicolasta
After what felt like an insane amount of waiting myself and 3 kids (10, 6 & 5 weeks old) finally made the move from Ireland to St John's NL in October 2014. Landing was lovely and stress free, a CBSA agent went out and brought my husband into us so he got to hang out with kids (and his brand new baby) while I had all my paperwork sorted.
OH had been here for almost 2 years, so he sorted out a house before we arrived, which was fantastic. Kids thrilled to be back with their Dad. I spent the first month getting sorted with SIN numbers, MCP cards, credit cards, getting registered with a family Dr etc.. Oh yeah and learning how to drive and more importantly reverse park an F150 around town!!
One of my big worries was keeping the kids warm during the cold (and long) Newfoundland winters, so I went a bit mad on the snow suits etc.., especially for the baby!
After three weeks we enrolled the kids in the local school, which was incredibly painless once you have your MCP. I also brought their old school reports and vaccination certs from Ireland. The kids have adjusted to elementary school really well. My aim was to keep them as busy as possible to try and integrate them quickly, so I signed them both up for swimming, basketball, ice-skating and rugby . My experience is that teachers here are way more accessible and engaged than they were back home which is great when you are trying to navigate a new system.
The winters here are really really really tough. You hear so much about them, before you come over, but honestly, until you experience them for yourself you have absolutely no idea!!!
Having said that, it really incentivizes you to make the most out of the Summer. We have already booked a cabin on the west coast and have just bought a great family tent and camping gear to make the most of the brilliant parks and campgrounds all around us.
So after 5 wintery months in St John's I can honestly say that I really like it so far. I find people to be friendly, open and genuinely happy that we love Newfoundland. I miss my work a lot, but I am kept busy with a 6 month old at home and acting as taxi driver to the other two.

Good to hear.

As for winters - this one was particularly bad. It isn't always like that in the Maritimes.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 2:09 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes many congratulations to you all! The fun bit can start now the snow is finally going

Canada is very kid friendly, I'm not sure if I will ever feel 'at home' here...it's the winters, but my kid is just having the best time ever.

Enjoy every sunny moment Of the summer
Old Mar 28th 2015, 9:29 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you are settling in...,having been here 10 years and been raising kids the last 6, I agree it's a pretty good place to raise kids. Have to tell you though this winter in St Johns has been pretty mild compared to last year We've only had a couple of big storms and it hasn't got that cold. We're all looking forward to spring though....which will be along sometime in June!
Old Apr 1st 2015, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Or August if you are in Marystown