Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

4 years and very happy in Canada!

4 years and very happy in Canada!

Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4 years and very happy in Canada!

On June 21st 2009 I landed at Vancouver Airport and left with a Work Permit in hand and excitement for the future. I was 22 years old and had just graduated from university.

I quickly settled in and found a job. The pay sucked, but I knew if I held out eventually I would get PR and be able to properly settle in. And eventually (after a few years in limbo) that came true. By 2013 my memories of the UK were extremely faded, and in June on the same day I arrived, I flew back to the UK after 4 years to visit my family.

For the first week I stayed in Shrewsbury, which is a lovely town and in my opinion one of the nicest towns in England, really showcases what England has, the history and historic buildings, quaint winding roads with small shops. I was also impressed with something I didn't expect, how quiet and wide the motorways are - three lanes each way nearly all the way from London to Shrewsbury. I couldn’t help but think the decent Rail network and other public transport options must really help keep cars off the road in the UK.

I went around London, Trowbridge, Bristol, Wells and other nearby cities, all of which are good places to visit. However I found that after about 2 weeks, the novelty was beginning to wear off. I began to get fed up with the winding roads which make it difficult to navigate, the nanny-state CCTV and Speed Cameras.

Sure, Canada has some stupidly low speed limits, but at least the government trusts people to drive responsibly and doesn't strictly enforce the limits in the same way. As much as I have complained about the speed limits in the past on here, I would much rather have the attitude here than the one in the UK. UK drivers drive extremely well, with good safe distances and courteous manners - to me the average speed checks just seemed like an insult to everyone, people just don't seem to drive badly enough to justify such a draconian measure.

One interesting thing I did notice is how popular pickup trucks are becoming in the UK, I saw the Nissan Navara trucks everywhere. Some cultural crossover seems to be occurring there in that regard.

But the one thing that really bothered me was the houses. Why oh why do most new houses in the UK consist of basically a brick box with a roof on top? Where is the architecture? In my opinion new North American homes are much more pleasing to eye and I am surprised that nobody seems to have tried to build any houses of that style there. Perhaps eventually that will crossover as well - I think if someone started a company building west-coast style north american homes in the UK it could be very lucrative.

It also became annoying how even new PVC windows didn't have built in fly screens - bugs kept flying in the house!

I did enjoy the UK supermarkets though and the huge array of product choice, particularly fresh chilled foods. I was also impressed by the amount of events and cultural activities going on everywhere. It was also refreshing to watch TV shows at night without all the swearing irritatingly bleeped out as it is here (I have a feeling this is an issue caused by simulcasting programs with the US.)

It also has to be said that there are wonderful aspects to UK culture, the UK still produces amazing people the big thing I've noticed is that somehow us Brits do have a natural talent when it comes to presentation, design and even media production - look at directors like Christopher Nolan - even the recent “North America” series on Discovery Channel which I was really impressed by turned out to be a team of mostly British people. Something about Britain just churns out people who are creative with design and media.

The country most definitely has it's place in the world, but I think ultimately it just doesn't "fit" me.

After arriving back in Canada I can safely say I am happy to be back here - there is nowhere else I would rather be living than in Metro Vancouver, despite it's flaws and high price of housing. The open space, the grid system, the personal freedom - this place has become my home. It also feels really good to be part of North America as a whole - Seattle is only a 2-3 hours drive away and has become a favourite city that I frequently enjoy visiting. It just feels good to be here and I am now assured in my original decision to immigrate.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 9:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 years and very happy in Canada!

Not sure if this wouldn't be better off in the MBTTUK forum? As it's more UK orientated than about your time in Canada?

Let me know if you want me to move it.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 9:52 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, we all like to hope that we have made the right choice, and in your case you went back to the country of your birth to prove it, prior to returning 'home'.

I agree with lots that you say....not sure about the housing...it's expensive enough for the poor sods who can afford a box with a roof, if you started getting artsy with the architecture you could out price the market completely.

Continue to have a great time and enjoy where you are living
Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

How lovely... I feel like that. Uk will always have a place in my heart but Canada is where I want to be.
Congrats on four years and hope the next four are just as wonderful!
Old Jul 17th 2013, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
It just feels good to be here and I am now assured in my original decision to immigrate.
Bravo, CanadaJimmy! Wishing you many many many more years of happiness and joy to come. Best of luck.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:24 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats and hopefully many more happy years in Canada
Old Jul 17th 2013, 9:17 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
On June 21st 2009 I landed at Vancouver Airport and left with a Work Permit in hand and excitement for the future. I was 22 years old and had just graduated from university.

I quickly settled in and found a job. The pay sucked, but I knew if I held out eventually I would get PR and be able to properly settle in. And eventually (after a few years in limbo) that came true. By 2013 my memories of the UK were extremely faded, and in June on the same day I arrived, I flew back to the UK after 4 years to visit my family.

For the first week I stayed in Shrewsbury, which is a lovely town and in my opinion one of the nicest towns in England, really showcases what England has, the history and historic buildings, quaint winding roads with small shops. I was also impressed with something I didn't expect, how quiet and wide the motorways are - three lanes each way nearly all the way from London to Shrewsbury. I couldn’t help but think the decent Rail network and other public transport options must really help keep cars off the road in the UK.

I went around London, Trowbridge, Bristol, Wells and other nearby cities, all of which are good places to visit. However I found that after about 2 weeks, the novelty was beginning to wear off. I began to get fed up with the winding roads which make it difficult to navigate, the nanny-state CCTV and Speed Cameras.

Sure, Canada has some stupidly low speed limits, but at least the government trusts people to drive responsibly and doesn't strictly enforce the limits in the same way. As much as I have complained about the speed limits in the past on here, I would much rather have the attitude here than the one in the UK. UK drivers drive extremely well, with good safe distances and courteous manners - to me the average speed checks just seemed like an insult to everyone, people just don't seem to drive badly enough to justify such a draconian measure.

One interesting thing I did notice is how popular pickup trucks are becoming in the UK, I saw the Nissan Navara trucks everywhere. Some cultural crossover seems to be occurring there in that regard.

But the one thing that really bothered me was the houses. Why oh why do most new houses in the UK consist of basically a brick box with a roof on top? Where is the architecture? In my opinion new North American homes are much more pleasing to eye and I am surprised that nobody seems to have tried to build any houses of that style there. Perhaps eventually that will crossover as well - I think if someone started a company building west-coast style north american homes in the UK it could be very lucrative.

It also became annoying how even new PVC windows didn't have built in fly screens - bugs kept flying in the house!

I did enjoy the UK supermarkets though and the huge array of product choice, particularly fresh chilled foods. I was also impressed by the amount of events and cultural activities going on everywhere. It was also refreshing to watch TV shows at night without all the swearing irritatingly bleeped out as it is here (I have a feeling this is an issue caused by simulcasting programs with the US.)

It also has to be said that there are wonderful aspects to UK culture, the UK still produces amazing people the big thing I've noticed is that somehow us Brits do have a natural talent when it comes to presentation, design and even media production - look at directors like Christopher Nolan - even the recent “North America” series on Discovery Channel which I was really impressed by turned out to be a team of mostly British people. Something about Britain just churns out people who are creative with design and media.

The country most definitely has it's place in the world, but I think ultimately it just doesn't "fit" me.

After arriving back in Canada I can safely say I am happy to be back here - there is nowhere else I would rather be living than in Metro Vancouver, despite it's flaws and high price of housing. The open space, the grid system, the personal freedom - this place has become my home. It also feels really good to be part of North America as a whole - Seattle is only a 2-3 hours drive away and has become a favourite city that I frequently enjoy visiting. It just feels good to be here and I am now assured in my original decision to immigrate.
Congratulations, mate! You must come out to visit us in the outback while the weather is nice! We can go canoeing and kayaking - enough room for four of us!
Old Jul 18th 2013, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

sandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to all

Glad to hear you are happy to be back in Canada. I find much the same on my very infrequent trips back to the UK. After 45 years here I think I'll stay.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 7:15 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandylns
Glad to hear you are happy to be back in Canada. I find much the same on my very infrequent trips back to the UK. After 45 years here I think I'll stay.
45 Years it must have some kind of hold on you then
Old Jul 20th 2013, 12:07 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandylns
45 years in Nova Scotia! You obviously feel at home now? I can't say I feel at home here, because I am just coming up for my first year, but hope that I might one day feel I belong?
Old Jul 20th 2013, 3:56 am
Just Joined

Silverdoll747 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice to hear you are pleased to be back in Canada. I'm gradually settling in and slowly getting used to this place. Don't want to jinx it!