British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/)
-   -   4 years (and one month) in Nova Scotia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/4-years-one-month-nova-scotia-898334/)

izzi81 Jun 21st 2017 7:03 pm

4 years (and one month) in Nova Scotia

For whatever reason I *never* remember to write these Canniversary posts when it's our Canniversary! In fact this is the first one I've actually remembered to write at all :huh:

We moved to Nova Scotia on May 24th 2013, and 4 years later it doesn't really feel like the rollercoaster has stopped yet! We do feel settled here, but we're both self-employed and our jobs aren't established enough yet for us to feel relaxed. Lots of developments in the last year though....

When we emigrated the plan was for my partner (now husband) to set up a fitness business here. We found premises and were up and running about 3.5 months after we arrived, which looking back was pretty good going considering we were also doing everything else required as new arrivals (house, car and so on). 4 years later the gym is still going, busier than before and in new premises. Still not quite busy enough to be comfortable, but paying the bills. In year 2 I set up an online subscription box business which is going OK but which I may rethink over the next year (I'm useless at marketing it seems). I've decided this year to commit to giving it my best shot to be an artist. Not sure it will work but I think I need to try! Prior to emigrating I was a fingerprint examiner and I just don't think I can go back to being employed now....

We rented a house until this year when we moved into a house we had built. This was one of our dreams when we moved and while the house is a little smaller than our original dream, it fits all the other criteria :) We found a bargain piece of wooded land and a contractor who was willing to work with us and let us do some of the work to get to a price we could afford. As a result we learnt how to fit vinyl siding, tile round a bath/shower, caulk, paint and build a deck! We also got married in the last year - a trip back to Scotland in November 2016 for a budget wedding :)

Some days it feels like we've not been here very long, while other days the thought of living in our tiny flat in Glasgow seems decades ago. I've never had any major homesickness... sometimes I miss family and friends (now we have our own place I wish I could invite them round for tea) but here has always felt like a better fit for us. I still feel very fortunate to live in such a beautiful place with such friendly people. The last thing still to fit into place is the income, but it's getting there I think!

BristolUK Jun 21st 2017 9:21 pm

Re: 4 years (and one month) in Nova Scotia

Nice :thumbup:

I had to google subscription box business :nod:

Shakyuk Jun 22nd 2017 2:54 pm

Really nice read, the money side may not feel on track, but from someone sat in the rat race living in a tiny house surrounded by traffic your life sounds very nice!

I hope you have many more good years and you remember your anniversary's to tell us :)

DandNHill Jun 25th 2017 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12277912)
Nice :thumbup:

I had to google subscription box business :nod:

Me too. Sounds interesting actually, I would happily do something like that!

Congrats too on your years in NS. I'm glad it is all working out for you. <3

Howefamily Jul 1st 2017 1:56 pm

congrats on your canniversary!!!!!! I am always majorly impressed by those running their own business :thumbup: