Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

4.5 years on and bust.

4.5 years on and bust.

Old Feb 8th 2012, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 4.5 years on and bust.

Originally Posted by snowgo
Hello all,

Here is a true tale of one family that took the plunge.

We moved out to alberta summer 2007. The company i was to be working for on arrival had failed to get the paperwork in place! They told me that they had done so!! The immigration officer stopped us in our tracks. At this point the penny dropped , we could be sent back to the UK on the next flight. (Which would have saved us a fortune.)

After a couple of calls by the officer to the prospective employer I was granted a Temp Work Visa 3 months accross the counter. Apparently this never happens!

Cut a looong story short. That company after six months failed to meet its own governments requirements for me to work for them. My temp visa had expired, I was on implied status which is one of the most degrading unsecure catagories i have ever had the unfortunate misfortune of being in. Still happy in your work???? I was basicall not being paid enough by the employer. And do you think he would put the hourly rate up to $25 from $20 no sir.

I actually offered to give him the cash to up the numbers for the application to continue. He refused as it was not ethical. The company name is KANAS Corp. Be warned!!

So unable to continue with my PR application with this company i removed myself from his employ.

4 months later i found another employer. Bearing in mind that i was not allowed to work at all without a permit!! I was now unemployed and not allowed to work for just anybody and i was on implied status with a family in tow.
The company I scorced had pre approved status. Great. Within another month I was back at work. Special Projects Superintendent $34 per hour plus a few perks. That lasted the rest of the period i needed for PR. The company(PCL) laid off 500 immigrant workers 2 weeks before Christmas of 2008. They lost contracts to competition and(Coram, the labour supplier) folded. They actually lost contracts fairly early on and my position was axed. I was now working as a carpenter on downtowm 40 level tower blocks in sub zero temps of around 15 - 20 below.
I was at this point writing myself positive notes confirming that this is a temp situation and that the money we have lost whilst bridging the situation will come back to us when things pick up. I was told tradesmen were in high demand. Work hard and you will earn well. What a load of crap. And i fell for it. Start a new life in a great country. I had visions of well nothing like the harsh reality of unemployment and high living costs not to mention 33% taxes. Bad timing, high property prices and restrictions at every corner.

After our PR came through I was extatic. I can hardly believe it PR at last 18 months from point of application. Its tough when the authorities will not up date or even have a conversation with you in relation to your application. Your useless Canadian employer or one of his sleepy staff who dont give a shit are the prefered people to whom they communicate. I sold my home, BIG MISTAKE and put everythig i had into this life changing move and they the government will not even SPEAK to you. My advise would be go with some cash and rent. if the job you are in is not leaving you with cash in your pocket at the end of the month GET OUT while you can. before you get sucked into to system.

The recession really had a grip i could not find decent work for love of trying.
Self employment seemed to be the only answer. Ok Reno here we come.

After 3 years of working as self employed with long no work periods during winter we decided to call it a day before we loose the house totally.

So on arrival we had enough cash to buy a home paid in full GREAT. One income was not enough to keep a family of four. My wife is a home maker that was the deal when we married. Touchey ground when the chips are down . Anyhow after settling in we had to arrange a line of credit. DEADLEY!!

From this we subsidised our living life style. We were sure that after we had PR and restrictions were lifted we would be able to get back on the gravey train. WRONG!!!

As the recession deepened and the expences continued to rise. Car,truck breakdowns , general family costs. Nothing extravagent, just the usual living costs. Our line of credit year over year was rising to our detriment.

At one stage i even decided to quit the construction industry and get into oil and gas. For over one year i sent resumes out to companies in the oil fields. Fort mac etc. I advertized in Kajiji , I offered $1000 cash to anyone that could line me up with a job on a rig as a hand. The lowest paid / labour job. I wasnt afraid to my hands dirty and start a new career at 43!! Not one reply.

Now i was feeling very isolated. In the UK i had a good income. Not fantastic but ok i could pay my way. In Canada I had become this unemployable unexperienced unwanted or needed immigrant worker.

I even placed myself at my expence yet again, in Ft Mac Alberta. This is the second largest oil reserve on the planet so im told. Sure I was determined to get a job. This is the wild west town where prospectors have been coming for years. I had a job within 3 days. None of my management skills were required though. Some carpentry and able to use a shovel $40 per hour. This was the final nail in the coffin for me. 27 years exp in construction. Trade qualified , College Diploma and some uni and i find myself working with a rasta from Toronto , a fisherman from PEI and a twat of foreman from Newfoundland who thought the way to the top was to tell on you several times a day. Needles to say this couldnt go on dispite my really desperate situation.

I returned to to UK in July and left my family behind in calgary. I was actually let down by the company that offered me work in London as they lost the contract to another. Fortunatly i picked up a good job for the summer. It was by no means easy coming back. I was sleeping on floors to start with, then into camden betsit land. Finally into a room which was clean and private. From their i organized the move back to the UK for my family.

To conclude:

I used to own a home in the UK then in Canada. Now i do not. My rent is two grand a month. I have to pay 6 months in advance. I have to raise twelve grand within 4 months to satisfy the landlord that we can pay for the year!! 25 grand a year rent plus bills etc.

Anyone thinking of moving to canada for a better life?
Speak to me first for the real low down on what its like in Alberta.

omg, this is making my heart beat out of my chest. I'm so sorry this didn't work out, it's sending the fear of God into me...

Incidentally, I think you're amazing and that you did everything you could. I hope you'll be blessed and that things turn around for you and your family...
Old Feb 9th 2012, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
omg, this is making my heart beat out of my chest. I'm so sorry this didn't work out, it's sending the fear of God into me...

Incidentally, I think you're amazing and that you did everything you could. I hope you'll be blessed and that things turn around for you and your family...
If it is any consolation, we came out to Calgary at a similar time. We knew nobody and did not have work lined up. We are still here and didn't experience anything like the issues the OP did. I appreciate that we didn't come out on a TWP. We didn't have the stomach for that. I know that lots do and make it work.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
If it is any consolation, we came out to Calgary at a similar time. We knew nobody and did not have work lined up. We are still here and didn't experience anything like the issues the OP did. I appreciate that we didn't come out on a TWP. We didn't have the stomach for that. I know that lots do and make it work.
I didn't have the stomach for the TWP route either, went for the federal worker PR instead because don't want to be dicked around by anyone.

I'm really glad to hear your experience worked out well!
Old Feb 12th 2012, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

katie97 is an unknown quantity at this point

Moved to Calgary in 2006, bought a house (note I said house, not home!!!!!) based on our 2 salaries, AND yes we could afford it, my hubby had a terrible accident at work and WCB kicked in, result dramatic decrease in his wage, over $2500 monthly, well we struggled, sold house returned to UK, hubby still not working due to injury, LOST MONEY.

We did not over commit ourselves financially, we did our calculations, only thing we did not calculate was the Canadian government screwing us because of their WCB system.

Mr ALMOST CANADIAN you seem to have many opinions, and criticise, Canada is a wonderful place but it is not without it's faults, I only come on BE as I feel people should be aware of Canada's downfalls, hubby had short/long term disability, but they were bloody useless because of WCB. I have Canadian PR but they can stick it, I will always be known as ALWAYS BRITISH
Old Feb 12th 2012, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katie97
Moved to Calgary in 2006, bought a house (note I said house, not home!!!!!) based on our 2 salaries, AND yes we could afford it, my hubby had a terrible accident at work and WCB kicked in, result dramatic decrease in his wage, over $2500 monthly, well we struggled, sold house returned to UK, hubby still not working due to injury, LOST MONEY.

We did not over commit ourselves financially, we did our calculations, only thing we did not calculate was the Canadian government screwing us because of their WCB system.

Mr ALMOST CANADIAN you seem to have many opinions, and criticise, Canada is a wonderful place but it is not without it's faults, I only come on BE as I feel people should be aware of Canada's downfalls, hubby had short/long term disability, but they were bloody useless because of WCB. I have Canadian PR but they can stick it, I will always be known as ALWAYS BRITISH
Please point me to the post on this thread where I criticise anyone.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 1:34 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katie97

Canadian govt. have nothing to do with WCB, it is provincially run. Not sure how they 'screwed' you however, everyone gets the same deal and it is better than nothing at all. If one is self employed it can be hard with WCB as WCB is based on earnings.

If you had short and long term disability through private insurance, surely they would have paid up and if not, was it not the private insurers who 'screwed' you?

A great many people get benefit from WCB, however they may not have the luxury of private disability and without WCB would be destitute.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

Dear Katie97

Re:"I will always be known as ALWAYS BRITISH"

Well, good for you.

However, I would suggest that is just that jingoistic sentiment that rubs Canadians they wrong way, and may highlight the real reason why you two were not able to assimilate.

I am sure many would however feel for you and your family in relation to the Workplace Accident. However that situation could happen anywhere on the planet, with any Administrative bureaucrat running a WCB-type show.
It is not a specifically 'Canadian' problem.

Ok, I will circle the wagons and leap to defend AC's honour here...I have never found any of his comments on this site to be anything other than well thought out, insightful, coherent opinions, leading to the improvement of the public debate
Seriously...not sure what the issue is here.

FROTSUK
Old Mar 6th 2012, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Scotjames
interesting post
I understand from your post things were hard at times in Canada, do you think the situation will improve now your back in the UK having to find £2k a month for rent alone plus having to pay 6 months in advance. I'd say the UK economy back 2007 especially in regard to construction when you originally left the UK was in a better shape than it is now may be I could be wrong.
I hope things really do start to turn a corner for you
You should really read up on the UK rental market before posting no way do you pay 6 month up front, and unless your wanting to live in a good London area.. or a mansion elsewere would you pay 2k per month rent...
Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:33 am
Just Joined

DJR005 is an unknown quantity at this point

"My wife is a home maker that was the deal when we married"

I feel sorry for you mate, but c'mon. When s*it hits the fan and the chips are down it's GO time, and the fact you mentioned she hasnt bothered to get a job back in the UK is just mental
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clay
You should really read up on the UK rental market before posting no way do you pay 6 month up front, and unless your wanting to live in a good London area.. or a mansion elsewere would you pay 2k per month rent...
Sorry to butt in, however it is not uncommon to be asked to pay 3-6 months rent upfront (don't confuse this with a deposit though) in cases where you have no recent UK rental or mortgage history, or other circumstances such as not being in your current job long enough (usually minimum 6 months) to satisfy various tick boxes of rental agents, or not showing on the electoral role at previous address (which can affect some credit checks, either experian or equifax I think). When we sold up our house in UK before heading to New Zealand we lived in a rental while we got the paperwork in order. We rented a shoebox in a pretty average small town, with rent costing little over half of our previous mortgage, and while still working with proof of large funds in the bank, but still have to pay 3 months upfront in order to secure anywhere.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 4:07 pm
Banned

roofingman will become famous soon enoughroofingman will become famous soon enough

Had no money in the UK...and borrowed the money to get to Canada, no friends, no job, no rellies...The immigration told me they dont help Brits get a job...but suggested Vancouver would be easier to get a job.....Got a hotel skid row downtown and survived with a wife on one meal a day...I walked the streets for 3weeks looking for work....My expectations were not high, I was brought up the eldest of 7 kids in Longsight , Manchester......I was homesick for a long time....My first house was a cottage in Ladner that no-one wanted and my smart real estate man got me in the house by getting a mortgage from an investor in Texas, who I met over a cup of coffee......Our first Christmas was spent with the realtors family.....I was told I would grow to love Canada and I scoffed........and now I do...!!......I spend at least 2 months a year in the UK and always get a one way ticket...next trip 24 Aug...and have met some great friends....I spend as much time in Mexico/Egypt as I feel healthiest there....sandals/tshirt/shorts...... Suffice to say -I have done well and Canada made me.....but I worked damn hard...!! but worked at a job that I really enjoyed..!!..I have many English/Scot friends who were in the same boat as me and all have done well..!!
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:35 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

we arrived with NS nomination on an 8 month visitors visa, all our stuff on a ship and a cat in a box. Got a job in three weeks, got a TWP - went to Florida to leave the country, needs must, got all our prov healthcare, got a mortgage, hubby got "a" job, certainly nothing like he had before. Got PR four months later (ish)

One year and a bit later - very happy, in a different better job than I have ever had, hubby still finding his way now into potentially a new career, kids are happy and so are we.

Some things work out, I had a moment of panic on the plane for doing it this way but its been fine.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

What would you say the benefits over the UK are ??
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:59 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clay
What would you say the benefits over the UK are ??
to me the main benefits are the general lack of British negativity. Its not better here really its very different, so it depends on what you want. Given that everything we have here is exactly what we wanted, I still spend each day amazed that we actually made it.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

Fitz88 is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of it resonates with me.

Canadians put tripple killings on the third page whereas UK they'll put a stabbing where the victim survived on the front page.

Everyone is very sneaky i find witth tthat 'american' smile yet will sell you out the minute you turn your back. Luckily i just came here temporarily and can head onto oz.

Sorry to hear your story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.