Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

4 1/2 years and I want to go home more than ever!

4 1/2 years and I want to go home more than ever!

Old Apr 9th 2015, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 1/2 years and I want to go home more than ever!

Originally Posted by Gozit
D'awww

Yes, the annual winter sulkiness returned upon me....
Me either... I found this year it wasn't the chilliness itself, it was the damn snow and the miserable, gray skies.

But - hope is found - spring is upon us (hopefully ... )
And a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Apr 9th 2015 at 7:25 am.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Colchar ............ I do appreciate that they have been in one place for the whole time, not that I know much about Stouffville, which was the place mentioned in an early post.

That is one place I have not visited, although we have seen a lot of Ontario (as well as other provinces).

I don't know what there would be to do in that place, although it seems that is is close to Toronto.

There certainly are many many other places in Canada

I just meant that one cannot judge Canada based on experiences in just the GTA.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

AB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliverjude
Been here nearly 5 years and I've never been so homesick. I miss all the usual stuff about England. I want my boys to be English not Canadian. I don't want to retire here. I don't really like anything North American. The only thing I like is the space, bigger homes, lakes and hotter summers. Not really a good reason to stay.

It's going to be tough as my husband is 53 and doesn't have a fancy job to go back to as he is a self employed painter, our house there is very small plus it's not to far outside the M25 in Hertfordshire so heavy traffic and more crime than here in Stouffville but it's home.
I dont think you will ever get over those desires. Construction has defo picked up in the UK. We are going back once my house is sold but its easier for us because we don't have kids. I know I am going to get frustrated at times with British systems etc but I am looking forward to having a life again and not just be existing in Canada. I'm certainly not going to slag off Canada, as we have had a wonderful experience here but I want my British lifestyle again.
Old Apr 12th 2015, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AB4NOW
I dont think you will ever get over those desires. Construction has defo picked up in the UK. We are going back once my house is sold but its easier for us because we don't have kids. I know I am going to get frustrated at times with British systems etc but I am looking forward to having a life again and not just be existing in Canada. I'm certainly not going to slag off Canada, as we have had a wonderful experience here but I want my British lifestyle again.
So you've decided to return to the UK rather than stay here and relocate for work if necessary?

What's made you go for that option?

I see you have a preference for England, but then you do live in Alberta, so that's maybe why

Have you considered BC (particularly the Lower Mainland) or even visited? It's like a different country.

Last edited by withabix; Apr 12th 2015 at 10:01 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 9:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
Where, exactly, are you located?

The snow has been gone for a bit and I've gotten a head start on spring yard work by raking my backyard already.

Upon seeing your post I stepped outside for a minute and snapped a couple of photos up and down my street. They are crappy cell phone pictures but still show the street well enough to demonstrate that there is no snow here (and this despite the fact that it snowed a little overnight).

So as I said, there is no snow here.

But there is no green, no flowers, and still looks winter even with no snow. That can do a lot to bring a persons mood down still, and the sky appears gray as well.

I suppose I am just used to having green trees and flowers by now..lol

It's possible to be home sick and still like Canada and have a reasonably nice life here. I moved here in 2005, PR in 2006, then when the ex-wife and I split, I couldn't wait to go back home, in my case California and jumped on a plane back in 2009/September, by October 2010, I was back in Canada. Home wasn't the same as it was a few years earlier, friends moved on, family was busy with their kids, and just felt out of place.

Since that brief move back, I don't really feel home sick anymore and Canada well BC has certainly become home.

Just remember that home isn't always what we think it will be when we move back.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 13th 2015 at 9:34 am.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

AB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
So you've decided to return to the UK rather than stay here and relocate for work if necessary?

What's made you go for that option?

I see you have a preference for England, but then you do live in Alberta, so that's maybe why

Have you considered BC (particularly the Lower Mainland) or even visited? It's like a different country.
I will send you a message.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 8:25 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

and I don't like Toronto either. Does anyone?
I like Toronto. There, I said it.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 9:45 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I like Toronto. There, I said it.
I like Toronto too.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 1:57 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I like Toronto too.
I loved it once and on balance I think I still do. I think it's one of the few places in Canada that has remained (relatively) sane over the last decade or so.

No doubt that will change soon.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 3:22 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I like Toronto too.
I'm getting to like it. The more I see the more I like.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 11:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't like crowded, congested city's, so its the reason I dislike Toronto. I am sure it's a fine city otherwise.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 3:08 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't like crowded, congested city's, so its the reason I dislike Toronto.
Had this same discussion with a colleague just yesterday- he lives way out in the 905 and hates Toronto, I'm the opposite. Both opinions are of course equally valid.

If I had to move out of "core" TO it would have to be Hamilton.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
But there is no green, no flowers, and still looks winter even with no snow. That can do a lot to bring a persons mood down still, and the sky appears gray as well.

I suppose I am just used to having green trees and flowers by now..lol

It's possible to be home sick and still like Canada and have a reasonably nice life here. I moved here in 2005, PR in 2006, then when the ex-wife and I split, I couldn't wait to go back home, in my case California and jumped on a plane back in 2009/September, by October 2010, I was back in Canada. Home wasn't the same as it was a few years earlier, friends moved on, family was busy with their kids, and just felt out of place.

Since that brief move back, I don't really feel home sick anymore and Canada well BC has certainly become home.

Just remember that home isn't always what we think it will be when we move back.
+1.
I like Toronto too. Its better than where I currently live (St Thomas), which I don't really like.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

My goodness - I see some things never change on this place, do they!
Poor Scilly getting it in the neck merely for her spacing and overuse of ............

Anyway -
For what it's worth, here's my humble opinion.

Most of us are lulled into coming here following on from trips to see family who already have a well-established life here, and/or holidays which are packed to the brim with exciting days out seeing places that to us parochial Brits seem like some sort of utopia - loads of space, great weather and...well, it's just the land of milk and honey isn't it.

You go back to your boring 9-5 job in Blighty after your 3 week holiday, back under grey suburban skies, driving home through seemingly endless traffic, shuffling home down your narrow streets after the pub, dodging the piles of half eaten kebabs and sick and avoiding eye contact with the gang of scrotes who are always hanging out around number 35 and you're sure he's dealing drugs but the police won't do anything about it so why bother...and you think that Canada clearly has to be better place to be, right?

So you make the move. You spend thousands of pounds moving you and your family halfway across the world and guess what..?

You look forward to using up your 2 weeks of vacation from your REALLY shitty 8-6 job earning half as much as you were back home just to get away from this endless bleeding cold just to go back home and see your friends and family and go to the pub and smell the lush green grass, (that's if your employer will let you take the time off because you may not have earned it), driving home amongst some of the worst drivers you've ever been subjected to being on the same roads as, wishing you could go to a pub here and see some mates but drinking out is so expensive here and the beer's rubbish anyway and besides, WHAT mates, before getting out of your car and noticing that number 35 has some shady characters coming and going at all hours and why are their curtains always closed and what's that strange smell and don't those boys hang around with my son?

You see where I'm going with this? (I hope so, because I'm struggling!).

So much annoys me about this place.

Banking, cellphone companies, drivers, public transport (or lack of), licensing laws, social interaction, the health service, lack of holidays...I could go on!

A lot annoyed me about the UK when I was living there too. I remember when I got on the plane at Manchester Airport in 2006 as we were leaving for good and turning to my (now ex) partner and saying "Let's get the f_ck out of here!"

I'd probably struggle to remember why I didn't want to be there.

The grass didn't turn out to be greener and I, like many others, have come to realise that the Old Country isn't such a bad place after all, but at the end of the day, I've had a bit of an adventure. I've done more than 95% of the people I grew up with have, and have surprised myself with how I've ended up adapting.

To the OP - I know exactly where you're coming from and only you can make a decision as to where your future lies but give yourself a pat on the back for at least trying.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 7:18 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
My goodness - I see some things never change on this place, do they!
......snip.............

You see where I'm going with this? (I hope so, because I'm struggling!).

.........snip again.........

To the OP - I know exactly where you're coming from and only you can make a decision as to where your future lies but give yourself a pat on the back for at least trying.
Shorter version..........

same place just different more extreme seasons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.