3 Years Today!

Old Aug 24th 2014, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3 Years Today!

Can't quite believe that 3 years ago today my wife, 12 year old daughter and myself were flying first class (upgraded free ) to start our new life in Canada. It took a year to get a positive LMO sorted as a process operator (NOC C) for a grain plant here in Manitoba.
As I was NOC C my wife couldn't work till we obtained MPNP, which took approx 9 months. We were lucky enough to come over with a decent profit from our house sale so financially we were okay. As soon as she could my OH started work at the same company as me looking after logistics, a job that drives her up the wall sometimes but until something better comes along then needs must.
Our daughter has settled in really well, made good friends and is doing very well in school, made honour student every year so far. She goes skiing, does ice dance and recently came 4th in Manitoba schools high jump. I think we have managed to wean her off Justin Bieber, she seems to be weaning herself off the English accent!
As for me, after about 14 months I was promoted to production supervisor however I wasn't really happy there so I started looking elsewhere as soon as we had gained PR. I was offered a job with a multi national food company which I took. This was a good company to work for, much better benefits than my initial company etc. I was also taught to drive a 3000hp electric diesel locomotive which is awesome but it just made me realize that my future wasn't in the grain industry. So 7 months ago at 48 years old I applied for and got offered a job building, testing and installing wellheads in the oil fields round here plus recently round Edmonton and I love it.
We bought our house here after renting it for 3 months, we were also lucky enough to buy a 10 acre yard site which next year we are going to move our current home to.
So to sum it up, it has been a wonderful 3 years for us all which has been full of opportunities. The sort of opportunities we would not have seen in the UK. Canada isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, it just seems to work for us.
The adventure continues.....
Old Aug 24th 2014, 5:39 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 Years Today!

Congrats
Old Aug 24th 2014, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GC44
Can't quite believe that 3 years ago today my wife, 12 year old daughter and myself were flying first class (upgraded free ) to start our new life in Canada. It took a year to get a positive LMO sorted as a process operator (NOC C) for a grain plant here in Manitoba.
As I was NOC C my wife couldn't work till we obtained MPNP, which took approx 9 months. We were lucky enough to come over with a decent profit from our house sale so financially we were okay. As soon as she could my OH started work at the same company as me looking after logistics, a job that drives her up the wall sometimes but until something better comes along then needs must.
Our daughter has settled in really well, made good friends and is doing very well in school, made honour student every year so far. She goes skiing, does ice dance and recently came 4th in Manitoba schools high jump. I think we have managed to wean her off Justin Bieber, she seems to be weaning herself off the English accent!
As for me, after about 14 months I was promoted to production supervisor however I wasn't really happy there so I started looking elsewhere as soon as we had gained PR. I was offered a job with a multi national food company which I took. This was a good company to work for, much better benefits than my initial company etc. I was also taught to drive a 3000hp electric diesel locomotive which is awesome but it just made me realize that my future wasn't in the grain industry. So 7 months ago at 48 years old I applied for and got offered a job building, testing and installing wellheads in the oil fields round here plus recently round Edmonton and I love it.
We bought our house here after renting it for 3 months, we were also lucky enough to buy a 10 acre yard site which next year we are going to move our current home to.
So to sum it up, it has been a wonderful 3 years for us all which has been full of opportunities. The sort of opportunities we would not have seen in the UK. Canada isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, it just seems to work for us.
The adventure continues.....
Congrats, we've been here 3 years tomorrow. Can't believe how fast it has gone!!! Here's to another three
Old Aug 25th 2014, 2:21 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

GC44 Well done to you all! Life isn't always easy here but when things do start going right, you feel such a well deserved sense of achievement

Hope all continues to go well for you and your family.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Congrats, we've been here 3 years tomorrow. Can't believe how fast it has gone!!! Here's to another three
Congratulations to you guys, your right though it has flown by. I put that down to me getting old !
Old Aug 25th 2014, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to you guys, your right though it has flown by. I put that down to me getting old !
It's kind of nice to have a bit of history here now though isn't it? It's nice to be able to say "last year...", makes you feel like you belong!
Old Aug 26th 2014, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DandNHill
It's kind of nice to have a bit of history here now though isn't it? It's nice to be able to say "last year...", makes you feel like you belong!
From week 1 we have been lucky enough to meet some really great locals and co workers that have welcomed us with open arms. In the last year both myself and my OH have lost parents, our friends here have been queuing up to offer any condolences or help we may need.
They have made us feel that we belong. (even though I have made it abundantly clear that I have absolutely no interest in ice hockey).
Old Aug 26th 2014, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

From week 1 we have been lucky enough to meet some really great locals and co workers that have welcomed us with open arms. In the last year both myself and my OH have lost parents, our friends here have been queuing up to offer any condolences or help we may need.
They have made us feel that we belong. (even though I have made it abundantly clear that I have absolutely no interest in ice hockey).
Haha, I don't get ice hockey either! It's good to have solid friends. We had to move from NS to ON for work so we're starting again in a way!

Sorry to hear about your family, it's in moments like that that i's tough being an immigrant.