Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

3 weeks in Edmonton,my experience

3 weeks in Edmonton,my experience

Old Jun 8th 2013, 12:57 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 weeks in Edmonton,my experience

Originally Posted by cjones
The Rockies are over rated. Four hours each way and there's nothing to do there? - Get your family over to West Edmonton Mall for the day - Big indoor pool with a wave machine, The Mrs. and the kids can go shopping and you can treat your old man to an afternoon in Hooters.

The dog will be ok in the car, just make sure you open a window an inch or two.
I couldn't agree more! You just seem to drive and drive, The Rockies are most impressive, but there's just so much of them! Although Lake Louise is great for a day out.

I like West Edmonton Mall....I had the most silly, wonderful and fun night in The Fantasyland Hotel....and yes we visited Hooters....my mother in law was horrified

Have a geat time!
Old Jun 8th 2013, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Ended up doing 7 hours overtime today instead,and looks like thunderstorms in Jasper tomorrow
I like the mall,but I've spent everything on the caravan,insurance,furniture,pots and pans,dishes,cutlery,etc..etc... you know the start from scratch routine lol.

I really fancied taking them to the mall one day next weekend,and jurassic forest the other day,hoping for overtime next weekend too though lol,still gotta buy beds!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

joebangor is an unknown quantity at this point

hey scootb, and to anybody else that has recently moved to edmondton, i am in the UK but hoping to move to Canada soon and looking at Edmonton, i know it is a bit isolated but it has could opportunities for jobs in my field with in medical biology and such things with the university there. i was wondering if there was anything major i should know about Edmonton and whether there are any big pros or cons to the rest of Canada
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joebangor
hey scootb, and to anybody else that has recently moved to edmondton, i am in the UK but hoping to move to Canada soon and looking at Edmonton, i know it is a bit isolated but it has could opportunities for jobs in my field with in medical biology and such things with the university there. i was wondering if there was anything major i should know about Edmonton and whether there are any big pros or cons to the rest of Canada
If you're after info on Edmonton, then it may be better to ask those that have lived there for a while, rather than those that have recently moved there.

A search of the forum will reveal loads of threads with opinions on (this one should get you started - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=625272), or you could start a new thread in the main forum if you can't find the answers you're looking for in previous threads.

Good luck.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Well we managed a day out to Jasper national park a couple of weeks back,and it was well worth the drive,the scenery was simply breathtaking,I would urge anyone who has never been to take the time to visit!

The next week we went to Jurassic Forest,which the kids LOVED,despite the mossie bites.If you have kids it is deffo worth a wee visit,just take mossie spray as it involves walking through plenty of forest.They are adding more paths during the summer so may be worth visiting towards the end of July or August to get the most out of it.

We are pretty much settled in now,the missus cant wait for the kids to start school lol,roll on 25th August.
I still miss nothing about back home maybe due to the fact that Ive been working so much lol,although my dad goes back to Scotland on the 16th.