2 Years yesterday

Old Oct 7th 2015, 4:23 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 Years yesterday

It nearly slipped by but yesterday was our second Canniversary. A lot has happened in that time, we had a one year TWP and a response on our PR was close to the wire and we applied for a BOWP which arrived 20 days after the expiry of our one year TWP. It was tense and not ideal being on implied status and really not something we would want to go through again.

I suppose trying to make it work by coming over on a TWP was always a gamble and we were aware of the pitfalls. In the end it was a gamble that paid off and we are glad we are here. Canada is home now and we wouldn't want to go back.

We went back to see friends and family in Denmark and the UK in June and I can not say I felt any home sickness or regret. I miss friends and family but Canada is home now and I was glad to get back. I think my girlfriend misses Denmark to some extent but is happy to be here in Canada.

Tomorrow will be my two year work anniversary and I feel I'm at a cross roads with work, it served its purpose by getting us here and providing us an income. But I feel I have out grown my job, I kind of see another way to move within the company and I think I will start to look at a similar role elsewhere for now. The last few months have made me think that I have been just been sticking with what I do work wise cause it provides a certain salary and I have grown comfortable doing it. Im thinking in the future I may consider working for myself and moving out of the comfort zone.

We have moved 3 times since we arrived here and not managed to find the right place yet, its not easy finding a good rental in Vancouver and the lower mainland.

We were unable to sell our UK house before moving and so rented it out, we put it on the market this June and had an acceptable offer that we accepted in July. Currently we still don't have a completion date. It's frustrating and it makes me wonder what we our paying our solicitors for.

We are waiting for the house sale to go through and see what we have left regards a deposit. We are not sure yet where we will buy but its true BC does mean bring cash, for example a new condo in Coquitlam could set you back upwards of 500-600k.

Once the house sale goes through another pain to get rid off will be having to do a Canadian and a UK tax return.

When we arrived here my girlfriend had not been long diagnosed with Chronic fatigue Syndrome. We found a great naturopath for her and through alternative therapy, supplements and essential oils on a good day, she is close to 70-80 percent of how she use to be and is now looking to try and find a part time job and to try and get back into working.

It has not been easy with just me working but we have made it work and like I said we feel like Canada is home now.

My parents recently got their supervisa through and will be over in time for Christmas.

We have been assimilating and have gotten into ice hockey, we follow the whitecaps and have gotten into NFL and follow the Seahawks.

We have made a few friends so far and I think with time we hopefully will make a few more

As a lot of people say on here the grass isn't greener, its just different and well Canada is the different we like.

Heres to more happy years in Canada and Citizenship in the future
Old Jan 11th 2016, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 Years yesterday

Happy Canniversary....sounds like it's working out for you guys! We too fine BC expensive but love it nonetheless......you just can't bring yourself of to follow the Canucks eh????? Lol
Old Jan 11th 2016, 8:34 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 Years yesterday

Thanks, we are heading towards our third year and still loving it here. If only it was cheaper lol