Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

2 years in Vancouver

2 years in Vancouver

Old Aug 30th 2016, 7:47 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 years in Vancouver

My Canniversary is celebrated on Thursday of 2 years in Canada and Vancouver.

I think the majority of the previous year was worrying about my PR, which came through late June and I landed on 13 July. - I am very happy about this.

I still haven't been on holiday/traveling that much this year and this needs to change next year as I am itching to get away and explore more of Canada and the USA: Top of my list are: The Okanagan/Kelowna, Halifax, Montreal and Ottawa, Tofino, Portland, Alaska, LA and San Diego - these wont all get done next year as I'm going back to the UK as well.

Im still living in the same area in South Vancouver and still working at my place as a Youth Worker - there has been a lot of change at work, with some friends leaving, which has been challenging for me. Along with issues with my partner and his heavy work load which is impacting the relationship and his own social life - feel in limbo with that right now.

From my own thoughts, I feel I need to leave Vancouver, I am nearly 32 and it's my greatest wish to be able to settle down and start a family (although I don't know when this will happen) - I don't wish to this in the city but I don't really know where else to go as Vancouver has the best services for homeless/mental health support from what I understand and I need a job lol

I think its just taking one day at a time and seeing what life opportunities come up. I have some support with friends here and friends and family back home and at no point right now am i thinking about returning to the UK - Im just not sure on what or where right now.

I wish this could have been a little happier
Old Aug 31st 2016, 7:50 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years in Vancouver

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
My Canniversary is celebrated on Thursday of 2 years in Canada and Vancouver.

I think the majority of the previous year was worrying about my PR, which came through late June and I landed on 13 July. - I am very happy about this.

I still haven't been on holiday/traveling that much this year and this needs to change next year as I am itching to get away and explore more of Canada and the USA: Top of my list are: The Okanagan/Kelowna, Halifax, Montreal and Ottawa, Tofino, Portland, Alaska, LA and San Diego - these wont all get done next year as I'm going back to the UK as well.

Im still living in the same area in South Vancouver and still working at my place as a Youth Worker - there has been a lot of change at work, with some friends leaving, which has been challenging for me. Along with issues with my partner and his heavy work load which is impacting the relationship and his own social life - feel in limbo with that right now.

From my own thoughts, I feel I need to leave Vancouver, I am nearly 32 and it's my greatest wish to be able to settle down and start a family (although I don't know when this will happen) - I don't wish to this in the city but I don't really know where else to go as Vancouver has the best services for homeless/mental health support from what I understand and I need a job lol

I think its just taking one day at a time and seeing what life opportunities come up. I have some support with friends here and friends and family back home and at no point right now am i thinking about returning to the UK - Im just not sure on what or where right now.

I wish this could have been a little happier
Congrats on your 2 years Becs!

The beauty of being single is that you can go where ever you feel like without having to consider or consult anyone else, so if the relationship isn't working out, look for the positives! This could be your opportunity to travel and decide where you would like to be! Perhaps save like crazy and do a trip across Canada (I'm sure there's a few spare beds in BE'ers houses you could crash on!)

As to looking elsewhere for work, the jobbank has some pretty good indicators of where the demand is, just click on a region to find jobs. Perhaps Vancouver isn't the place for you to feel settled, but it's a huge country and there are opportunities all over the place.

I really hope that things work out for you - don't give up on your dreams, you worked damn hard to get here!

Keeping my for you!

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 31st 2016 at 7:55 am.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 4:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you're having a bit of a setback but you're still up on a year ago I believe.

In terms of working elsewhere, if by Vancouver being the best you mean it has the most job opportunities for you, you might be surprised what might be opened for you in other places.

If it's that good and you've been a part of it, that might stand you in good stead when it comes to job hunting.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 6:48 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Congrats on your 2 years Becs!

The beauty of being single is that you can go where ever you feel like without having to consider or consult anyone else, so if the relationship isn't working out, look for the positives! This could be your opportunity to travel and decide where you would like to be! Perhaps save like crazy and do a trip across Canada (I'm sure there's a few spare beds in BE'ers houses you could crash on!)

As to looking elsewhere for work, the jobbank has some pretty good indicators of where the demand is, just click on a region to find jobs. Perhaps Vancouver isn't the place for you to feel settled, but it's a huge country and there are opportunities all over the place.

I really hope that things work out for you - don't give up on your dreams, you worked damn hard to get here!

Keeping my for you!

Thanks Siouxie. I have some money saved up so its possible I can go - just see if work will allow me the time off (unpaid).

I'm totally for moving to another area in the country if I feel it will be right, its just at nearly 32 I just want to settle somewhere, be happy and make a life for myself with someone else - its getting frustrating and upsetting.

I'm sure when the opportunity presents itself I will know
Old Aug 31st 2016, 6:48 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Looks like you're having a bit of a setback but you're still up on a year ago I believe.

In terms of working elsewhere, if by Vancouver being the best you mean it has the most job opportunities for you, you might be surprised what might be opened for you in other places.

If it's that good and you've been a part of it, that might stand you in good stead when it comes to job hunting.
That is what I am hoping for and yes you are right, I am in a better place then I was a year ago
Old Sep 1st 2016, 7:08 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Bex. Maybe you can try Calgary, you seemed to quite like it when you visited Alberta? Unless you have high income, settling in Vanvouver seems like a recipe for life long mortgage-slaving, and IMO it's not a bad idea to find somewhere else before becoming to attached to the place.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 2:01 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Shard
Well done Bex. Maybe you can try Calgary, you seemed to quite like it when you visited Alberta? Unless you have high income, settling in Vanvouver seems like a recipe for life long mortgage-slaving, and IMO it's not a bad idea to find somewhere else before becoming to attached to the place.
Very true.

Its not just the high housing costs and living costs - it is also how this city is so pretentious with its Nordstorm, 'dinner en blanc' and all that garbage. I realize this has been going on before I arrived and had the rose tinted glasses on initially.

The biggest draw is the mountains and the fact i am so close to the US border.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 2:18 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Very true.

Its not just the high housing costs and living costs - it is also how this city is so pretentious with its Nordstorm, 'dinner en blanc' and all that garbage. I realize this has been going on before I arrived and had the rose tinted glasses on initially.

Yes, absolutely.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on 2 years!

If you ever find yourself going to San Diego and need any info on the place let me know, born and raised in the area, its my hometown region.

If you can try and not do SD and LA in the same trip (if you have less than 2 weeks) as you just wont get to experience either if trying to spend a couple days in each.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 1st 2016 at 11:03 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 3:04 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Congrats on 2 years!

If you ever find yourself going to San Diego and need any info on the place let me know, born and raised in the area, its my hometown region.

If you can try and not do SD and LA in the same trip (if you have less than 2 weeks) as you just wont get to experience either if trying to spend a couple days in each.
Thanks, I will!

I knew you were from San Diego I may try and do a long trip 3-4 weeks. I would love to drive all the way down the coast though - maybe in the next few years
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 3:58 pm
Banned

viajero is an unknown quantity at this point

Very true.

That isn't just a Vancouver thing. You should've seen the one in Paris, talk about pretentious.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 4:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...'dinner en blanc'...
I had to google that.

Now I know what all those people in white outfits were doing in the far corner of my yard.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 4:20 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I had to google that.

Now I know what all those people in white outfits were doing in the far corner of my yard.
Did you notice any buckles ?
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 4:30 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Shard
Did you notice any buckles ?
Only on their shoes.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Drive down the coast is on my list of things to do.

People who have done it have loved it. I also one day want to take the train Seattle to LA, it's supposed to be a nice trip as well.

Thanks, I will!

I knew you were from San Diego I may try and do a long trip 3-4 weeks. I would love to drive all the way down the coast though - maybe in the next few years

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.