Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

2 Years and hate it!!

2 Years and hate it!!

Old Nov 29th 2013, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all
Default Re: 2 Years and hate it!!

Originally Posted by alipeesha
Im going to add to the rant! Im an irish qualified dentist working fo rthe last 5 years in scotland with the NHS... I have applied for PR to go to alberta.. they dont see my degree or experience as ANYTHING.. if i wan tto work as a dentist i would prob have to apply for 2 years of college at £50000 each year... i think i would charge £500 for each scaling appt! a bit more expensive than NHS £10.20! why is it tho that our degrees dont mean a thing..? as you say why doesnt experience even give us a chance..?
Oh, it's not just you. I am Canadian and myself and my friends have pretty much always struggled... I have a masters.. the Canadian job market is tough. I know people will hate this, but I think other countries have more employment options. If you want to work, there is work. In Canada, you can want to work, upgrade your skills, your education, your language (bilingualism) and still struggle. I have. My friends and colleagues have. This seems to be part of the Canadian culture shock.

I'm leaving, myself, because the uncertainty in the Ontario job market has worn me down over too many years.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 7:39 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lilipuddlian
Oh, it's not just you. I am Canadian and myself and my friends have pretty much always struggled... I have a masters.. the Canadian job market is tough. I know people will hate this, but I think other countries have more employment options. If you want to work, there is work. In Canada, you can want to work, upgrade your skills, your education, your language (bilingualism) and still struggle. I have. My friends and colleagues have. This seems to be part of the Canadian culture shock.

I'm leaving, myself, because the uncertainty in the Ontario job market has worn me down over too many years.
It depends on the countries though, Europe is not looking so good? Where are you heading?
Old Dec 9th 2013, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

minxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really nice

I posted earlier on this thread. I am still without work, I undertook a prolonged recruitment process with a Nuclear Operator in the west of Ontario.

I made it through the recruitment process and gained level 2 clearance, for October start date to be told this has been postponed until March 2014 (spoke to organisation, to be told it may not even happen).

I am gutted as our experience here in Canada is sinking, I have applied to too many jobs at varying levels of experience. Love living here, but cant believe my resume is not up to standard for my profession.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipeesha
Im going to add to the rant! Im an irish qualified dentist working fo rthe last 5 years in scotland with the NHS... I have applied for PR to go to alberta.. they dont see my degree or experience as ANYTHING.. if i wan tto work as a dentist i would prob have to apply for 2 years of college at £50000 each year... i think i would charge £500 for each scaling appt! a bit more expensive than NHS £10.20! why is it tho that our degrees dont mean a thing..? as you say why doesnt experience even give us a chance..?

One thing that people educated in Britain or Ireland have to realize is that their education and experience used to be accepted but as Canada has become more and more multicultural we have been getting more and more people educated in inferior school systems - and this has affected everyone. For example, in Canada it takes 4 years to earn a B.A. (honours) but in Pakistan that same degree is earned after only two years of study. So because of inferior education systems like that, Canada had to start asking for Canadian education and experience and, so as not to appear to be racist or to be discriminating against certain countries or nationalities, they had to apply that to everyone...so even those who were educated in places like Britain, whose education used to transfer directly, are now treated just like someone from a country with an inferior system.

It is all the result of trying to treat everyone equally rather than having the guts to tell the truth - that some education systems (ie. Pakistan) are inferior to others. But if politicians were to do that they would lose votes from members of whichever ethnic community they did that to and no politician will risk losing votes.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

minxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really nice

Originally Posted by colchar
One thing that people educated in Britain or Ireland have to realize is that their education and experience used to be accepted but as Canada has become more and more multicultural we have been getting more and more people educated in inferior school systems - and this has affected everyone. For example, in Canada it takes 4 years to earn a B.A. (honours) but in Pakistan that same degree is earned after only two years of study. So because of inferior education systems like that, Canada had to start asking for Canadian education and experience and, so as not to appear to be racist or to be discriminating against certain countries or nationalities, they had to apply that to everyone...so even those who were educated in places like Britain, whose education used to transfer directly, are now treated just like someone from a country with an inferior system.

It is all the result of trying to treat everyone equally rather than having the guts to tell the truth - that some education systems (ie. Pakistan) are inferior to others. But if politicians were to do that they would lose votes from members of whichever ethnic community they did that to and no politician will risk losing votes.

For info, I have a BA(Hons) degree, that took 3 years. So in what your stating; is anything less than 4 years to achieve here in Canada, is not equivalent, same standard etc. I did not realise that the University standard is better here in Canada than the UK, India, Pakistan and others.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 12:18 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minxymel
For info, I have a BA(Hons) degree, that took 3 years. So in what your stating; is anything less than 4 years to achieve here in Canada, is not equivalent, same standard etc. I did not realise that the University standard is better here in Canada than the UK, India, Pakistan and others.
Its different animal. The UK is more specialized, the Canadian is more rounded. The Canadian system simply sees the extra year as beneficial and thus will privilege it over a UK degree.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 12:28 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Its different animal. The UK is more specialized, the Canadian is more rounded. The Canadian system simply sees the extra year as beneficial and thus will privilege it over a UK degree.
Isn't it that A-level knowledge in Britain is broadly equivalent to first year in Canadian university.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 1:21 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

I'm also Canadian and kind of regret moving back to Canada from the UK some years ago. I think I had better job prospects over there.

I think there is an 'arms race' of attaining educational qualifications because the competition for positions is so fierce. I've seen people with PH.Ds doing technical support jobs that really only need a bachelor's or even a college diploma.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 1:57 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Isn't it that A-level knowledge in Britain is broadly equivalent to first year in Canadian university.
No, not really. The whole system has a different focus, its not useful to try and compare quality. Bottom line, if you want to get a job in the UK have a degree from there and if you want one in Canada get one in Canada.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

headingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to all

No, not really. The whole system has a different focus, its not useful to try and compare quality. Bottom line, if you want to get a job in the UK have a degree from there and if you want one in Canada get one in Canada.
That sums it up nicely.

The other issue is have the skills that are in high demand. Canada is heavily weighted in natural resources and many of those areas have vast skills shortages. Its pointless to be in the wrong part of the country with the wrong skill sets.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 3:31 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

well said.

I have a degree from NZ (counts for nothing much here) but I also study part time @ BCIT. The BCIT piece has really helped with employers here - they recognize it's a good school for what it does, etc. etc.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 2:51 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar

Unadulterated crap.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 2:54 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Where did you go to Uni? I realize that later on you studied in the US. But why would you suggest that a UK B-degree was more marketable than a Canadian one?

We both know that today they're equally useless.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Generally yes.