Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

2 weeks in..... just alitte update for those who are about to do the same

2 weeks in..... just alitte update for those who are about to do the same

Old Aug 12th 2016, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

CanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 weeks in..... just alitte update for those who are about to do the same

So we landed 2 weeks ago in vancouver from glasgow. Stroke of luck at glasgow airport the flight was over booked and computers didn't work so got our extra suitcases on for free and bumped up to business class as we were last to check in lol.
After arriving at our first stop toronto my boyfriend went and got his IEC visa sorted at immigration and they gave him a SIN there and then as we were flying onto vancouver. Landed in vancouver and picked up our hire care made our way to our 1 month rental in southlands. Luckily it is lovely although bit out of the way.
We spent the next week taking care of business. Went to service canada and i picked up my SIN number (go early and it only take 10mins no queue) Then into the bank, we went with RBC. Took our passports and SIN numbers, accounts opened there and then. They gave us temp cards and our proper ones arrived yesterday. Then we looked at apartments; thought we would have trouble having no credit history etc. No problem at all and we were offered all the apartments we viewed, signed the lease on a new apartment today couple of blocks from Kits Beach.
We went to change our licences and it was straight forward took 5mins, they just took my old UK one (didn't ask for proof that i had been driving for 4 years etc) and gave me a paper B.C one until my new one arrives in the post.
As for a car, we had money set aside around $10k. We weren't happy with anything we seen given that no warranty was offered on any of the used vehicles . Due to no credit history we would get a much higher interest rate so decided initially we were just gonna use public transport for awhile. we then stumbled across Viva Auto in burnaby. They sell old banger cars and the place looks crazy but the guy was actually really nice, pair of old mechanics who know their stuff. We bought a jeep 2004 for $2500, Mike the owner gave us warranty on it which i was surprised by. Mike told us that most of his business comes from new immigrants looking for a first car. We have kicked the arse out the car to make sure there are no faults. Seems to be going well.....if it does us 6 mths i will be more than happy. Insurance was straight forward, went to ICBC in london drugs handed over my details, passport, new licence and docs from admiral insurance in the UK.

So... thats us 2 weeks in got a place, got a car, been all over the city and love it !!!!! We both start our jobs monday but I'm actually looking forward to it. Also looking forward to my Cat arriving next month from glasgow

Thanks everyone for all your help and answering my silly questions along the way
Old Aug 12th 2016, 4:18 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 weeks in..... just alitte update for those who are about to do the same

Nice update :@)
Old Aug 12th 2016, 4:23 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 weeks in..... just alitte update for those who are about to do the same

Welcome to Canada!
All good til you mentioned the cat I dont like cats...
Old Aug 12th 2016, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Nice happy story and welcome to Canada.

Our welcome initially was similar but we used the Retiree Scheme to immigrate.
We arrived 'first class' to Vancouver courtesy of the airline I'd previously been employed.
Immigration asked...'What's the purpose of your visit?" I produced the documents of our intent to immigrate managed by a Canadian lawyer for that purpose...but, as I was some months short of the retirement age category, immigration gave us a Ministerial visa and said to re-apply on my birthday.

I had pre-bought a large house in Delta, a new pre-purchased car was waiting at the airport, our dog was released from the cargo terminal and we awaited a 40 foot container to arrive. I bought another car for my wife and she became active in the Protestant church...then I purchased a 38 foot yacht for my own monastic indulgence...

Some months later the Gov't decided to cancel the retiree program and, as I was not yet a landed immigrant, was going to be deported when my visa ran out...ouch!

It took many dollars for legal representation to threaten the gov't....and a trip to the Embassy in London to eventually re-apply and become a landed immigrant as a 'stock-market broker'. I've only ever been working in aviation but they didn't need 55 yo pilots but apparently did require people who invested in Equities...as I had.
This was even better as I became an instant landed immigrant, able to work, which the previous retirement scheme did not permit (btw..I've never worked except a summer job delivering cars 'coz I was bored after selling the boat.)

Gotta love Canada...btw this was in 1990/91.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianInGasgow
So we landed 2 weeks ago in vancouver from glasgow. Stroke of luck at glasgow airport the flight was over booked and computers didn't work so got our extra suitcases on for free and bumped up to business class as we were last to check in lol....
Great read and how lucky are you to have it go so smooth! Thanks for sharing, keep us updated on how things pan out and how you find your new country. Best of luck

Originally Posted by Davita
Nice happy story and welcome to Canada.

Our welcome initially was similar but we used the Retiree Scheme to immigrate.
Wow that could have potentially been disastrous, glad to read you got a resolution!
Old Aug 12th 2016, 6:08 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats. My 2 year anniversary in Vancouver is coming up soon but I'm getting fed up with the city now.

It interesting to hear someone who is in the honeymoon period of being in Vancouver. lol
Old Aug 12th 2016, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond repute

Davita- that is an epic immigration tale lol nice they saw the light and let you stay lol

Becki- i suppose its what you make of it, between my boyfriend and i we have lived in a fair few cities all over the world and have never got bored of them. I'm looking forward to getting some snowboarding& skiing in too lol
Old Aug 12th 2016, 8:00 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianInGasgow

Becki- i suppose its what you make of it, between my boyfriend and i we have lived in a fair few cities all over the world and have never got bored of them. I'm looking forward to getting some snowboarding& skiing in too lol
yeah the mountains is what keeps me here mainly. Couldn't be without snowboarding
Old Aug 13th 2016, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Very helpful post - thank you.