18 months today!

Old Sep 7th 2014, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice
Default 18 months today!

18 months ago today we made the big move over and I can honestly still say, its the best decision we ever made. Haven't been on here for a long time because well, there more to life than reading and writing on a forum!!

Getting here was a long, painful, frustrating and what seamed at the time like endless process... But the hard work was worth it tenfold... Our life here is so much better, as to be almost incomparable and I would not go back to Scotland to live now if you paid me...

We do miss family and friends from back home, but thats to be expected and there is always skype... We have made some great new friends here, with all sorts of backgrounds. We love the mixing pot of cultures that makes Canada what it is. We love, love, love the weather, hot, cold, stormy, whatever it brings is a relief from 40 years of relentless grey rain! ;-)

I can't speak for all, but for us we have a far higher standard of living, much bigger house, much nicer area and more disposable income than we could ever have had in the UK. The kids go to a much better school and have both managed to maintain (and in our youngest's case improve) their marks. I'm happy that living here, will not risk them mixing with people who think a life'claiming dole money for a living is ok... The work hard, play hard attitude here, is far more what I want for them!

Hubby has got himself a truck, a taste for country music and the local Tim Hortons, Home Depot, Canadian Tyre, Value Village, Cosco, Foodbasics and Walmart all know him by name! We've spent the last few months working on finishing our basement, totally different to any diy work back home, but awesome fun having a big space to plan out and build. My work means I have to travel a fair bit, but I get to come home to a place that makes me grin from ear to ear, rather than sitting in a taxi looking out at paisley in the rain and feeling the depression set back in...

My advice to those on the forum thinking about making the move... You have to really, really, really want it! Because its a dam hard road to get here, but if you work hard, get those qualifications, get that job, whatever it means for you, you won't regret it. You only live life once, so make it count!!
Old Sep 8th 2014, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Sunryder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 18 months today!

Congratulations! Sounds like it was a great move for you guys. Hope you have lots more happy prosperous times.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Great post, but you were always a positive couple. Your attitudes will always stand you in good stead.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Good stuff, nice to hear something positive
Old Sep 13th 2014, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you are enjoying it guys - congrats and keep going.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear an update! We have just made the move from Scotland (about 6 weeks ago), and you talked to me very early in our planning process. We are loving it here, although still very much in the settling process, with a ton of boring stuff to do, made more stressful by not being familiar with how things work here! But we are getting there
Old Sep 20th 2014, 8:20 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I am so glad that you and your family are happy and made the right choice. You did always sound a positive pair and that must have helped you tremendously. I wish you every success and happiness, I know that you are an inspiration to many. Well done.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 1:05 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Great locale for a Scot, I bet you feel right at home.