Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

12 Years in Moncton

12 Years in Moncton

Old Jun 21st 2017, 12:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default 12 Years in Moncton

I'm cheating a little with this one. Not an anniversary of arriving in Canada, nor one for when PR was granted.

Today is the 12th anniversary of moving into the house I bought in Moncton after moving from Montreal, South Shore.

We flew in the day before (the kids' first time flying) and overnighted in a hotel before meeting with Realtor and Lawyer. The Realtor treated the four of us to breakfast, came with us furniture shopping (Leons) and then drove us 'home' where we had first food in the new home. Pizza, but for the life of me I can't remember where we bought it.

Some stuff that was 'following' from Montreal arrived later that day, so the kids were okay bed-wise. My wife and I slept on a 'mattress' of 3 or 4 quilts on the floor until the new furniture arrived a couple of days later.

Then the box spring for the new Queen bed wouldn't get around the corner at the top of the stairs so we had to wait for a split one as a replacement. But at least we had a real mattress!

Two days later, while my wife got us hooked up for internet/phone, I got a bus to Canadian Tire (having seen the $600 and up things the local bike shop stocked) and bought my $170, front suspension (just like the one I left in England that cost the same in ££) mountain bike - which I still have I'm still tickled by the memory of wheeling it to the checkout and out.

My wife's father died and her mum came to live with us. My wife's minor medical problems became major ones and then she died.

Apart from that it's all good. Which rather makes it sound like mother in law moving wasn't good , but that's all worked out really well.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12 Years in Moncton

Good to hear that all worked out well for you, apart from the loss of your wife.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 8:13 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I like Moncton and it's nice to hear that it's mostly worked out for you. Next time we're in the maritimes we'll have to meet up for a coffee.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Life sounds good. 12 years in the same place might suggest you are settled?
Old Jun 25th 2017, 11:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Life sounds good. 12 years in the same place might suggest you are settled?
I still find the idea of moving to somewhere like Cobourg tempting so as to cut winter snowfall back a lot and to be convenient for Toronto.

But since I first made that discovery about big snowfall differences either the house prices there have gone up or people aren't selling the appropriate properties because it doesn't look as possible as it did.

Could still change though, but winters no longer present the obstacles and worries they used to.

And my gardener stepdaughter likes her garden
Old Jun 26th 2017, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting your story Bristol. I enjoyed reading it except about your wife of course.

We're planning a trip to the Maritimes next year so perhaps we could meet up.

My suggestion to you is that if you're contemplating going for Citizenship at all, get your app in quick, quick under these present rules while far less people qualify!

Last edited by Snowy560; Jun 26th 2017 at 3:30 am.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 12:31 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Snowy560
...if you're contemplating going for Citizenship at all, get your app in quick, quick under these present rules while far less people qualify!
That's an interesting way of looking at it but I'd likely have to take the dreaded test under present rules.

My feelings on it haven't changed though. Even if the advantage of a European passport no longer is an advantage in the future.
The thought had occurred that maybe one day I'd want to disown the UK in shame but that would be difficult to do with my civil service pension and future RP coming from there.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 5:18 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's an interesting way of looking at it but I'd likely have to take the dreaded test under present rules.

My feelings on it haven't changed though. Even if the advantage of a European passport no longer is an advantage in the future.
The thought had occurred that maybe one day I'd want to disown the UK in shame but that would be difficult to do with my civil service pension and future RP coming from there.
You would be fine, you are a smart cookie-would just need to drag you away from the TV screen though.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 2:15 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I loved reading all of that update until I came to the bit about your wife which stopped me in my tracks completely.
Lovely update for most of it, so very sorry to read about your wife.
I like Moncton too, I worked there a few times in 2012 through to 2014. I am still waiting for someone to fix the Trans Canada just outside of Moncton where its like driving on the moon, has that been done yet do you know?
Old Jun 28th 2017, 2:27 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Howefamily
...I am still waiting for someone to fix the Trans Canada just outside of Moncton where its like driving on the moon, has that been done yet do you know?
I have no idea. We did the highway in 2007...it's all been planes and trains since then.

They've been doing our street for about 6 weeks now...or rather they scraped off the top and haven't done anything since other than pick things up and put them down.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Congratulations on 12 years Bristol

Plenty of changes around the place in that time - half of it wasn't here then lol
I also did the bike from Can Tyre (the one on Mountain rd thats now uhaul.) I went to the big bike shop in Dieppe first- Mikes. I wasnt in there long

How many more bad Moncton winters before you give up move to the Costa del Ontario?

All the best mate
Old Jul 4th 2017, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I am still waiting for someone to fix the Trans Canada just outside of Moncton where its like driving on the moon, has that been done yet do you know?
Keep dreaming

As Bristol says they just scrape of 2" and re-surface it. Give it 6 months and or a winter and its crumbling again. They do this every single year and you wonder why they dont just build it properly in the first place - answer: Its too expensive and the province cant afford to. Its a make work project in a province that has chronic unemployment. Lastly for a full house, Who do you think supplies the Bitumen?
Old Jul 4th 2017, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

I have no idea. We did the highway in 2007...it's all been planes and trains since then.

They've been doing our street for about 6 weeks now...or rather they scraped off the top and haven't done anything since other than pick things up and put them down.
They do the same to Elmwood drive every year. 3 months last year from the bottom to Morton Avenue junction. Unbelievably its been ripped up for the last 6 weeks or so by the cemetery.

They are currently re surfacing Vaughan Harvey between the bridge and Main St. God knows why as thisis one of the best roads in the City yet others are ridiculous.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 5:34 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Alex2201
How many more bad Moncton winters before you give up move to the Costa del Ontario?

I never know how to say this without sounding 'cold' but winters haven't been anything like as difficult since my wife died.

Last winter was a weak effort and a bit of a doddle to get through.

I think it's going to need a run of bad ones or some change in family circumstances for that to happen. That's a strong possibility of course.

Originally Posted by Alex2201
They are currently re surfacing Vaughan Harvey between the bridge and Main St. God knows why...
You're kidding. It's one of the newest roads already.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

Last winter was a weak effort and a bit of a doddle to get through.

You're kidding. It's one of the newest roads already.
Agreed but not great either The 2 prior to that were very bad in terms of length and snowfall.

I couldnt make it up re Vaughan Harvey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.