Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

10yrs here and loving it!

10yrs here and loving it!

Old Dec 5th 2014, 2:58 am
Just Joined

pj7771 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 10yrs here and loving it!

We have been so fortunate to live here..it was not easy in the first days but we are living the life we love and loving the life we live..finally last move onto a lake (pinch me) hubs hours are solied..working gov't...it can work but you have to stick with it...
Old Dec 9th 2014, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10yrs here and loving it!

Im thinking that we will feel the same in another 8 years
The wife loves it,I love it,the kids love it,even the dog loves it here!
I used to get bad chest infections in the UK(dampness),haven't had anything more than a single stomach bug since we came here,that alone is well worth the move.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

you will find its drier...we only get a cold every three years..if that.....life has worked out well for us but not without sheer graft..i will state the obvious..that you only get out what you put in and if you can sustain some differences you will adapt and love it!!

ie weather...to me thats different for everyone, but not enough of an excuse for us to give up 3-4 moths then thats it..this year its warmer and we have been told no snow for Christmas as its raining and up to +4-+6..if temps drop it can get icy though...

Everything else we find cheaper. WE scaled down cos there just the two of us and our fur babies...
I'm retired (cos i worked my ass off for 30 yrs in the UK)...we have a wonderful life, a lot of friends...Its just the best....I wish you lots of luck..keep networking and it sounds like you have the right attitude and determination.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks PJ!
I came here with $3,500 and our suitcases,and dog,that was it,now we have everything and will be applying for a mortgage once we get residency.
It has been hard going I guess as I haven't really had any time off work other than 6 days last xmas when work shut down,other than that I've been working 6-7 days/week mostly.
I'm back on nightshift for the 3rd time this year,but its extra money which comes in handy just now with our medicals booked for this friday,still can't believe its $1,700 for 2 adults and 3 kids just to have a couple of boxes ticked and a signature lol.

In the 20 months we have been here we have been to the Rockies,Elk island,Jurassic forrest,drumheller museum,taught my oldest how to shoot at the range,been hunting,off roading,etc..etc.. so much freedom and space here its GREAT!
Old Dec 14th 2014, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=scootb;11498518]Thanks PJ!
am very proud of you to be honest YOU have the right attitude and grit determination to succced..its not always easy and its so easy to also be 'fixated' on something and to compare with where we have come from..My hubs worked 14 hr days plus and was on call..sometimes i could have thrown the bloody pager out the window...we got through it and now he has a great job that he loves (not that he did not enjoy the last one) basically he's moved on..out of IT industry altogether into something he absolutely loves..HR management..he's a people person..he has reg hrs and same leave + as uk..it can happen, it will happen
All too often we see people on here that give up so easily...their choice..and sometimes they just don't give it long enough....i am here if ever you need to talk..but i can hoestly say true determination and also making lots of friends will get you through..Canadians are really lovely and helpful..we are lucky to be in a country with all the space and a fairly laid back attitude...was in town yesterday and lost count of how many peope smiled at me
Old Dec 17th 2014, 5:22 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=pj7771;11501957]
Originally Posted by scootb
Thanks PJ!
am very proud of you to be honest YOU have the right attitude and grit determination to succced..its not always easy and its so easy to also be 'fixated' on something and to compare with where we have come from..My hubs worked 14 hr days plus and was on call..sometimes i could have thrown the bloody pager out the window...we got through it and now he has a great job that he loves (not that he did not enjoy the last one) basically he's moved on..out of IT industry altogether into something he absolutely loves..HR management..he's a people person..he has reg hrs and same leave + as uk..it can happen, it will happen
All too often we see people on here that give up so easily...their choice..and sometimes they just don't give it long enough....i am here if ever you need to talk..but i can hoestly say true determination and also making lots of friends will get you through..Canadians are really lovely and helpful..we are lucky to be in a country with all the space and a fairly laid back attitude...was in town yesterday and lost count of how many peope smiled at me
PJ I'd agree its the attitude and the work you put in, Have been here 14 months and don't miss the UK. Love it out here and we do not try to compare stuff, it is what it is. I have grafted hard and just over a year with my Canadian employer I have been promoted. Promotion starts proper in Feb and I assume I will be working twice as hard but it will be worth it
Old Dec 17th 2014, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ive seen so many people I work with pack it in or are going back home when their work permits expire,I can understand some people being homesick,but there is so much opportunity here,especially when it comes down to the kids futures.
At least I'm no longer sleeping on an air mattress lol,the kids loved it,the wife and I hated it!
I knew before I came over things would be hard for the first few years,but they have actually been way easier than expected lol.

Keep up the good attitude Mikey,I havent felt homesick at all either,theres just so much to do here,so we make the most of my 1 or 2 days off each week,might even go to Elk island this sunday and let the kids see the bison in the snow.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 4:06 pm

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Ive seen so many people I work with pack it in or are going back home when their work permits expire,I can understand some people being homesick,but there is so much opportunity here,especially when it comes down to the kids futures.
At least I'm no longer sleeping on an air mattress lol,the kids loved it,the wife and I hated it!
I knew before I came over things would be hard for the first few years,but they have actually been way easier than expected lol.

Keep up the good attitude Mikey,I havent felt homesick at all either,theres just so much to do here,so we make the most of my 1 or 2 days off each week,might even go to Elk island this sunday and let the kids see the bison in the snow.
Thanks Scootb , have always been a hard worker so just apply the same ethic here. Also as you said I knew we were starting from scratch agin and it would take us a while to get everything set up again
Old Dec 17th 2014, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Ive seen so many people I work with pack it in or are going back home when their work permits expire,I can understand some people being homesick.
Great, congratulations and I love your positive attitude. There are so many moaners and whingers here on this forum who complain that Canada is not like the UK that your postings are like a breath of fresh air.

Life is what you make it.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Life is what you make it.
Very true , if life gives you lemons make a drizzle cake
Old Dec 18th 2014, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Lol,the people coming here from the UK and then moaning that its not the same honestly makes me laugh.
I LOVE how its so different to the UK,I wanted away from anywhere linked to the EU fiasco(it was a good idea,poorly timed,poorly thought out,and rushed through by idiots that should have known better)
I am looking forward to next year,buying our first home,and taking some time off to do some exploring northern AB lol.